Ice cream machine

cooked

I see that Lazada has ice cream makers and am possibly going to buy one. Has anyone bought one from Lazada (or elsewhere) that is worthwhile?

I don't know much about these machines, apparently some need a special powder to run? If so, that's not interesting for me.

Are these machines worthwhile buying at all?

There are  two types ones that cost around 20k baht are pretty good. But they are close to 3 times as expensive as if you buy abroad.  They are only 200-300 dollars in the US. They have a built in cooling system.

The other type are the small box ones that you need to freeze the container before each use. It takes several hours to freeze the gel inside it.

Pain in the butt but for simple single batches once in a while it is ok.

Princess model isn't bad

I have a Fagor machine that I bought from Lazada. It's the kind that you have to put the bowl in the freezer for 12-24 hours.  I also almost freeze the mixture before I put it in it.  It comes out Okay, the consistency of soft serve and must be put in the freezer to get it harder.  I haven't used it i over 2 years after the novelty wore off.   You can only make one batch, about a liter and then have to start over refreezing everything.  Where I grew up we had electric or hand crank makers that turned the bowl and you used salt and ice to freeze it.  Haven't seen them here.

If you can find a local source of dry Ice it's easier to make in a large bowl with a mixer.  Smash the dry Ice into almost powder in a clean towel and add it slowly to the ice cream mixture as you mix it.  Fast and comes out great.   I live upcountry and when I order food online from Passion or Towrai it comes packed in dry ice so I always am prepared to make ice cream when it arrives.

blender icecream is just as easy. Just freeze for 1 hour between each blending. about 3 or 4 times then freeze in a pan. Its as good as the dry ice method. but yes the old hand crank ones are pretty fun.

Google no churn ice cream. I have made quite a few of them. No need to spend any money on a machine. Only ingredients. If after playing around with a few of those you might get the ice cream making bug out of your system. If not then shell out the cash. 

16 hours ago, NickJ said:

Google no churn ice cream. I have made quite a few of them. No need to spend any money on a machine. Only ingredients. If after playing around with a few of those you might get the ice cream making bug out of your system. If not then shell out the cash. 

if you are not at least making a custard base, then why are you even bothering making anything?  Unless you are making a sherbert, the so called no churn icecream is more like frozen coolwhip fluff.  Nasty.

Set your sites a little higher than trailer park disaster.

I really love people giving cooking advice that have no concept of what real quality products taste like.

On 1/2/2017 at 0:44 AM, NickJ said:

Like I said,  Google no churn ice cream. There are many recipes. Perhaps the ones highlighted in Bon Appetite will help reduce the grey poupon attitude. 

Yes, every chef and top restaurant in the world uses google and youtube to find/create recipes.

I think that is the problem, most people don't even know where to find recipes that are reliable and consistent. Too much garbage out there.

3 hours ago, JLCrab said:

I bought this from Verasu -- works great. Takes 3 bags of 8-baht ice from 7-11.

http://www.verasu.com/product_detail.php?pid=724

Thanks for the link.  I looked for one before I bought my Fagor but couldn't find one.  That's what we used at home, they're great especially after they added the motor.  Before that we had the old crank version and I used to get lost until the "cranking" was done.  The cranking was a chore but the end item was delicious especially with some home grown fruit such as blue berries, black berries or Georgia peaches>

as we are on the topic making ice cream,the wife got a flyer from foodland and one of the products is MIRAKU ICE CREAM POWDER.

plenty of different flavours,just add whatever,i like to use carnation evapourated milk,vanilla flavouring,or any other eg,rum/raison.

has anybody tried it.

42bht.= 80grms.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2560 at 8:16 AM, meatboy said:

as we are on the topic making ice cream,the wife got a flyer from foodland and one of the products is MIRAKU ICE CREAM POWDER.

plenty of different flavours,just add whatever,i like to use carnation evapourated milk,vanilla flavouring,or any other eg,rum/raison.

has anybody tried it.

42bht.= 80grms.

further to above,i made some vanilla useing evaporated milk.very promising.

yesterday i made mango ice cream.

2packets of plain mix.

300ml.full milk.

100ml. condensed milk.

1 x tsp.vanilla flavouring.

1 large yellow mango purree'd.

filled 2containers around 1000grms.

in the freezer overnight.

it turned out bloody fab.

now to make different flavour's.

Archived