Rats in the roof?

Tapster

mmmmmm..........OK, then.

Can we all agree that, if one has to kill rats then an instant method would be preferable.

We do not advocate their death using slow and probably torturous methods,

....................including, but not limited to, any combination of the following:

Squashing,

Hacking/dismemberment/dicing/filleting/flaying /Blood Eagl'ing/decapitation/drawing and quartering

Burning or boiling

Drowning/strangling/asphyxiating/gassing

Breaking on the wheel/crucifixion

Electrocution

Burying

Impaling

Stoning 

Sawing................etc., etc.

:smile:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Tapster said:

mmmmmm..........OK, then.

Can we all agree that, if one has to kill rats then an instant method would be preferable.

We do not advocate their death using slow and probably torturous methods,

....................including, but not limited to, any combination of the following:

Squashing,

Hacking/dismemberment/dicing/filleting/flaying /Blood Eagl'ing/decapitation/drawing and quartering

Burning or boiling

Drowning/strangling/asphyxiating/gassing

Breaking on the wheel/crucifixion

Electrocution

Burying

Impaling

Stoning 

Sawing................etc., etc.

:smile:

and disposed of thus..

with apologies to macthehat for nicking his photo

IMG_1537.thumb.JPG.c04770ab122c28bf1408fc75439c0904.JPG

I have used pellets containing warfarin successfully in ceiling voids by simply throwing the pellets around inside the suspended ceiling (assuming you have a simple access panel. Warfarin when eaten creates a powerful thirst for water and the pests leave by whatever route they came in to look for water and death.

The term "humane" is used by vets, lab techs, pet owners, hunters, etc the world over. For example, it's humane to peacefully put down a terminally ill pet that's suffering. Or to shoot a deer in the head; it would inhumane to shoot its stomach and let it bleed out. It's just basic common sense (and some humanity/dignity).

Thanks, I am fully aware of the term. Did not want to kick lose a philosophical discussion.
Question remains what is a humane method to kill rats in ceiling. Warfarin works for us.

• 1 month later...

Hi, it's the OP back again.....

Is anybody still there, because I have made a major discovery.....

It's not rats in the roof but a f*****g enormous lizard!

As dusk fell this evening I heard activity in the roofspace of my workshop, as I was doing some chores. I thought that it sounded a bit louder than in the past so I went outside and shone my torch up at the eaves. I came eye to eye with the biggest lizard I've seen in our garden by a very long way.

This lizard was approx 70cm long and was approx 8cm across at its thickest point. It was more the monitor type than the gecko type. It had claws.

Is this a problem? I don't mind lizards on the whole. Do I need to get rid of it?

18 minutes ago, Tapster said:

Hi, it's the OP back again.....

Is anybody still there, because I have made a major discovery.....

As dusk fell this evening I heard activity in the roofspace of my workshop, as I was doing some chores. I thought that it sounded a bit louder than in the past so I went outside and shone my torch up at the eaves. I came eye to eye with the biggest lizard I've seen in our garden by a very long way.

This lizard was approx 70cm long and was approx 8cm across at its thickest point. It was more the monitor type than the gecko type. It had claws.

Is this a problem? I don't mind lizards on the whole. Do I need to get rid of it?

Sounds like a young monitor lizard, how does it get on your roof? Any overhanging trees?

shouldn't be a problem though 

In addition, to get rid of the rats, you might want to consider prevention.

In my case, the rats would climb up inside the rain drain pipes. We made wire

mesh cover on all of them and have not had rats in years (knock on wood, lol).

Cheers,

rudi

Edited by luudee

12 hours ago, Tapster said:

Evidently he's eaten all the rats.

I'm not sure I'd want one in the roof space, they get up to 2m long, even at 70cm you don't want to be tangling with one.

Is he a permanent resident or going in and out? Finding his access and closing it off (whilst he's out) would be wise, you can always open it up again if the rats return. If he's made his home and you would like to evict him, a word with your Puyai Baan should net you the details of the local snake-man who will remove the beast for a nominal fee.

We have a young one in our garden, spotted by the dogs yesterday. I'll have to locate his hidey-hole and get him removed, it's evident now who's been eating our chook eggs. Job for a fun Sunday :(

Thanks for the advice.

I never hear any noise in the roofspace during daylight. It's probably 40 Celsius up there now (noon in Phuket). Noises only start at dusk and continue off and on throughout the night.

Therefore, I assume he's not a permanent resident.

I'll "monitor" the situation.

Why would it be a bad thing to have a visiting lizard? Will he dig through the plasterboard or chew electrical wires?

There was a thread in news a little while back where a monitor (admittedly a bit larger than yours) fell through a restaurant ceiling much to the chagrin of the diners :)

I would think his droppings may be an issue.

33 minutes ago, Tapster said:

Thanks for the advice.

I never hear any noise in the roofspace during daylight. It's probably 40 Celsius up there now (noon in Phuket). Noises only start at dusk and continue off and on throughout the night.

Therefore, I assume he's not a permanent resident.

I'll "monitor" the situation.

Why would it be a bad thing to have a visiting lizard? Will he dig through the plasterboard or chew electrical wires?

Parents in law had one a few years back. In the process of trying to independently evict it (as noted above, do call someone who knows how to handle them), it got inside the house. Before being successfully driven off, it managed to slash one of the dogs (leaving it with a nasty infection), and trash the place (mainly broken wares). They can get quite aggressive when cornered. That one was perhaps a wee bit bigger than your "guest".

Living over 10 years in our house we have rats above the ceiling for over a year now.

First threw poison and got a horrible stench for some weeks.

I can't go up there, metal roof structure, thin ceiling.

Got some power cuts lately, guess they are eating the electrical wiring, had someone repair some wires up there.

Switched to glue traps, caught 2, then they ignored the glue traps.

I built a galvanized covered walk way on one side of the house, 5 metal poles supporting the structure.

Discovered rats are using a few of the poles to get up/down to the roof.

Impossible to inspect the roof to find out how they get in, anyway 9 years without rats, go figure.

Two weeks ago I smeared glue on the poles and collected a rat every day, until I got bitten by one (using a glove) Poles are a mess now, don't touch them if you don't want to get stuck to them :passifier:

Thus as last resort I bought a metal rat trap cage, caught 4 in 4 nights. Drive and release them a few km away.

Total damage so far is 12 rats in 3 weeks.

My wife and little girl still hear some above the ceiling.

Wonder how many more I will catch each morning.

Maybe time to get out and buy some more rat traps?

Edited by tartempion

@lopburi3

I had a close encounter with our tokay this morning. I walked into our pump room and he was on the wall. 

I don't know who scared who more. I jumped and he tried to scrabble up the wall but fell off. We ended up eyeing each other warily as I passed him to switch on the pool pump. 

He's cool and I hope he'll stay with us.