Lao expat being warned by Thai immigration need visa for cross border shopping

1 hour ago, chrissables said:

Things seem to be getting more and more crazy regarding visa's. What possible benefit is there to Thailand to stop expats in Laos come on shopping trips here? Or just frequent holidays?

No benefit at all Chris, it is just the way they are.

• Like 1

I would hope the Thai Immigration officials use some common sense and realise that many Lao and Cambodian expats travel to Thailand often for shopping and medical care. A simple glance at a passport showing Lao and Cambodian Visas is all that is necessary. These people should be allowed the same courtesy as Lao citizens to get a border pass.  These people are genuine tourists to Thailand who come to spend money and are not border runners.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I would hope the Thai Immigration officials use some common sense and realise that many Lao and Cambodian expats travel to Thailand often for shopping and medical care. A simple glance at a passport showing Lao and Cambodian Visas is all that is necessary. These people should be allowed the same courtesy as Lao citizens to get a border pass.  These people are genuine tourists to Thailand who come to spend money and are not border runners.

Lao and Cambodian citizens are allowed to enter Thailand short-term on a border pass based upon a reciprocal arrangement for Thai citizens. How do expats who are not citizens of PDR Lao or Cambodia fit into that equation?

While I  am sympathetic for those like you who live in Vientiane and look forward to their regular shopping trips to Udon etc, there are also quite a number of expats in Laos who face a much bigger problem for various reasons need to renew their entry permit every 28 days - this can be because there is some bureaucratic reason that is holding up their work permit/resident permit that is beyond their ability to fix on their own or are waiting for marriage visa or some other issue. In such cases, expats in Vientiane just go to the bridge, book out of Laos and into Thailand (sometimes for only a few minutes, sometimes for the day to go to Tesco Lotus) and then go back into Laos and home in Vientiane.

Yes, there are alternatives but they are more bureaucratic and more expensive - you can fly out of Laos to another country, including Thailand! But that is going to cost at least $200 on a cheap airline plus most likely a hotel/guesthouse overnight and takes a day as opposed to a couple of hours. The expat can also go to Lao immigration but this takes time and costs per day for an extension. I am not sure but I guess there are limits to how many times or how much extension you can get whereas there does not seem to be any limits to the bridge solution.

3 minutes ago, laislica said:

If you choose to live in Lao but want to spend up to a couple of days in a neighbouring country every week for R&R and to buy your food, where do you really live?

Doesn't that depend on your mindset? I live in Bangkok. It happens to be in Thailand and I know I must conform to Thai immigration procedures but frankly they're a nuisance. I think of myself living in Bangkok, Sydney, London or San Francisco, not Thailand, Australia, the UK or the USA

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:
19 minutes ago, laislica said:

If you choose to live in Lao but want to spend up to a couple of days in a neighbouring country every week for R&R and to buy your food, where do you really live?

Doesn't that depend on your mindset? I live in Bangkok. It happens to be in Thailand and I know I must conform to Thai immigration procedures but frankly they're a nuisance. I think of myself living in Bangkok, Sydney, London or San Francisco, not Thailand, Australia, the UK or the USA

I see what you mean but there's a huge difference between Bangkok, Sydney, London or San Francisco when compared with a short drive across the Friendship bridge at Nong Khai?

I am resident in Spain but also live in Changwat Samut Sakhon so I also expect to have to conform to the necessary visa rules.

PS

I wonder why you quote only a Snip of my post but fail to say it's a snip?

It's like taking something out of context because the rest of my post said:-

Maybe Thailand want the expats to live in Thailand rather than across the border?

Otherwise, I can't see any sense in this at all because in Thailand they are spending money, doing banking, having health care and having holidays. All good for the Thai economy?

Perhaps, as often happens, ideas are implemented without being properly thought through?

Edited by laislica
Add PS

3 hours ago, chrissables said:

Things seem to be getting more and more crazy regarding visa's. What possible benefit is there to Thailand to stop expats in Laos come on shopping trips here? Or just frequent holidays?

Nothing stops them if they pay for the correct visa !

It's Christmas, buy an Elite card for the whole family :-)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, papapayayae said:

I just cannot believe this new rule do not differentiate Thai visa runners from expats living on other side of river

So, if I understand you correctly, you can not believe that Thailand does not make special arrangements for non-Laos citizens who live in Laos to visit Thailand ?

Seriously, do you have such a feeling of self-importance and entitlement? 

If you want to shop all the time in Thailand, you know the solution, live in Thailand.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mstevens said:

As you across the border so frequently, it would probably be worth your while to apply for a multiple-entry tourist visa at the Thai embassy in Vientiane which will allow you unlimited entries across the border to Thailand for 6 months.  The cost of this visa is 5,000 baht.

If you visit Thailand most weekends, that would work out at a defrayed cost of around 200 baht per visit.  Yes, it is a hassle and an expense but given that you visit Thailand so regularly it would appear that it is worth your while.  Ditto for all the other expats who make the same trip.  I can understand if you were an occasional visitor how it would be a hassle but for those who visit so regularly the multiple-entry visa will allow you to continue what you were doing.

Next time pls read the OP's story more carefully. " we (man and wife), our 2 kids and grandma. That makes 5 tourist visa, a lot of hassle (for a multiple 6 mnth tourist visa you have to show 5000 euro's in your bankaccount, times 5!), time lost.

So that works out to having 25,000 euro's in a bank account, plus a weekly cost of 1000 baht (5 visa. 5000 per = 25,000 baht), plus a day lost every 6 months in the embassy, for the joy of a simple one night visit per week to a backward province capitol.

11 hours ago, mstevens said:

The cost of this visa is 5,000 baht.

The government is trying to figure out ways to extort more money out of those who are visa exempt.  Even though you are doing nothing more than contributing to the well being of the nation, they want MORE !  They always want more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think legal residents can get a border pass like Lao citizens can get. Same for the Thai side for those holding permanent residency.

Very difficult to get a permanent lao visa even when paying immigration a lot...

1 hour ago, Bullie said:

Next time pls read the OP's story more carefully. " we (man and wife), our 2 kids and grandma. That makes 5 tourist visa, a lot of hassle (for a multiple 6 mnth tourist visa you have to show 5000 euro's in your bankaccount, times 5!), time lost.

So that works out to having 25,000 euro's in a bank account, plus a weekly cost of 1000 baht (5 visa. 5000 per = 25,000 baht), plus a day lost every 6 months in the embassy, for the joy of a simple one night visit per week to a backward province capitol.

Why are you living in Laos when nothing is up to your standards?

I am also an expat living in Laos. I will go to Bangkok end of this month for some shopping. Just for a weekend. I mostly cross the border at Chong Mek since I live in the south. From there I travel to Ubon to take a cheap flight to Bangkok. As far as I know there's no Thai consulate in Pakse. So then it means I would have to travel first to Savannakhet to obtain a METV?  I wouldn't mind taking a plane from Pakse but there are no direct flights and the flights are not cheap either. This really sucks. I do know many of the immigration guys at the border so I will see if I can get some more information from them. 

4 hours ago, sas_cars said:

Do you mean Thai PR holders can get a border pass to visit Laos?

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I read years ago it was possible. I don't think I have ever read of anybody getting one though.

If one had such a border pass, would this negate the necessity to get a re-entry permit every time one visited the neighboring country?

17 hours ago, mstevens said:

As you across the border so frequently, it would probably be worth your while to apply for a multiple-entry tourist visa at the Thai embassy in Vientiane which will allow you unlimited entries across the border to Thailand for 6 months.  The cost of this visa is 5,000 baht.

If you visit Thailand most weekends, that would work out at a defrayed cost of around 200 baht per visit.  Yes, it is a hassle and an expense but given that you visit Thailand so regularly it would appear that it is worth your while.  Ditto for all the other expats who make the same trip.  I can understand if you were an occasional visitor how it would be a hassle but for those who visit so regularly the multiple-entry visa will allow you to continue what you were doing.

They did say that they were a family, 5,000 baht x 5 is 25,000 baht. That's a lot of money and a lot of hassle.

19 hours ago, BritTim said:

Based on that logic, no one should ever go on holiday anywhere, as they are presumably already living somewhere that is perfect in every way.

I can think of many reasons why someone would be living in Laos, while preferring to go elsewhere for medical treatment and certain purchases.

he isn't going for a holiday, he is going for his normal shopping and almost everything else

2 minutes ago, ldiablo72 said:

I am reading all these post advising the expat OP to apply for a multiple entry tourist visa, but from my understanding that visa must be applied for in your home country, so in essence, very bad advice.

They can also be applied for in a persons country of legal residence.

There are few locations where a visa or visa waiver entry is accepted (not in Laos or any where nearby).

So with this new ruling to curtail non-holders of Thai border passes to make frequent visa-exempt trips into Thailand with the frequency, duration, and purpose of their choosing, one can assume 2 situations:

1- The Thai Immigration folks do not realize the impact this will have on expats living in border countries, or

2 - They do realize the impact this will have on these expats and they specifically want to curtail these visa-exempt activities.

Up to you.

3 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

So with this new ruling to curtail non-holders of Thai border passes to make frequent visa-exempt trips into Thailand with the frequency, duration, and purpose of their choosing, one can assume 2 situations:

1- The Thai Immigration folks do not realize the impact this will have on expats living in border countries, or

2 - They do realize the impact this will have on these expats and they specifically want to curtail these visa-exempt activities.

Up to you.

Surely there's (3) Whether they do or they don't realise the impact, they don't care

• Like 2