Britain appoints career diplomat as envoy to EU

webfact

Britain appoints career diplomat as envoy to EU

606x341_354061.jpg

LONDON: -- Senior career diplomat Tim Barrow has been appointed as Britain’s envoy to the European Union.

Described by Downing Street as “a seasoned and tough negotiator”, Barrow will now play a key role in the UK’s Brexit talks.

His appointment follows the resignation this week of Ivan Rogers who quit writing a scathing letter that exposed divisions among officials over British Prime Minister Theresa May’s exit strategy.

Politicians on both sides of the EU debate were divided in their response to Ivan’s resignation, with pro-EU MPs saying the loss of his experience at a crucial time was a blow to the government’s negotiating strategy.

But analysts say his going has revealed more than just difficulties over how to approach the forthcoming talks. They have also revealed divisions between some senior civil servants and ministers .

Borrowed time

Rogers’ time in the job had looked uncertain from the moment a report was leaked last year revealing he had warned ministers that a trade deal with the EU could take 10 years to finalise.

Critics accused Rogers of lacking enthusiasm particularly as he was part of David Cameron’s team which tried to renegotiate relations with the EU before the June referendum.

His replacement, however may not be welcomed by some Brexit campaigners who had wanted a known eurosceptic in the post.

Barrow credentials

Current political director at the Foreign Office

Former UK ambassador to Moscow

Former first secretary at Britain’s embassy in Brussels

Not known to have taken a strong public position on Brexit

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2017-01-05

Well they had to put this latest embarrassment to bed as quickly as possible and this is the way to do it.  It is going to be a long two years and even longer to get agreements in place.  Britain will survive and may end up in a better place because of it, eventually.  Just how much crap we have to put up with in the meantime remains to be seen.  It will definitely have a cost to us all but for how long and how severe is, as yet, unknown.

The main question is, do we trust the people charged with orchestrating this divorce to really get the best deal for us?  I know I don't. 

9 hours ago, webfact said:

His replacement, however may not be welcomed by some Brexit campaigners who had wanted a known eurosceptic in the post.

Barrow credentials

Not known to have taken a strong public position on Brexit

Seems he might be just the man for the job - and I am not a remain enthusiast.

3 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Well they had to put this latest embarrassment to bed as quickly as possible and this is the way to do it.  It is going to be a long two years and even longer to get agreements in place.  Britain will survive and may end up in a better place because of it, eventually.  Just how much crap we have to put up with in the meantime remains to be seen.  It will definitely have a cost to us all but for how long and how severe is, as yet, unknown.

The main question is, do we trust the people charged with orchestrating this divorce to really get the best deal for us?  I know I don't. 

The best would be to negotiate an exit from Brexit. Most pro Brexit voters regret their decision according to the polls. It escapes my good senses, how a Brexit opposer like the present PM, Mrs. May, can head a government negotiating Brexit. She is doing something she had strongly warned against. With politicians like her and others, who can't be believed and therefore trusted,  no wonder populists have successes. Ivan Rogers should have resigned longnago.

16 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

The best would be to negotiate an exit from Brexit. Most pro Brexit voters regret their decision according to the polls. It escapes my good senses, how a Brexit opposer like the present PM, Mrs. May, can head a government negotiating Brexit. She is doing something she had strongly warned against. With politicians like her and others, who can't be believed and therefore trusted,  no wonder populists have successes. Ivan Rogers should have resigned longnago.

A first loyalty is to her self and her career, second to the Tory party and keeping it in power and avoid a serious internal rift, third to her cabinet.

The good of the electorate, the people, the country, - er, not on her radar