Boxed Assorted Chocolates

MrBrad

Last week, after previously bypassing the many varieties of assorted chocolates at the supermarket, I gave in and bought what I'd hoped would be a delightful taste treat.  I obviously didn't go in for the finest, top of the line brands, but I picked out what appeared to be a nice mixture of 20 pieces of 10 different varieties.  The bonbons were made by the Ludwig Scholkolade Company in Germany, so, since the Germans know about their chocolate, I figured I was getting a quality product.

Despite the photos printed on the back of the box identifying the various shapes and flavors, most of them were filled with the very same nondescript creme filling.  Caramel, coconut, almond creme center, raspberry, orange, coffee, and others all tasted pretty much the same...and not particularly good, at that.  Truly disappointing.

I was hoping for something that would compare a bit with the perennially popular Whitman's Sampler, the common man's boxed chocolates available in the States. 

So, the question I have is: Can you recommend a good box of assorted chocolates?  Again, I'm not looking for the pre-eminent brands; I know that Godiva and others are also available. 

Y'know, UG, I've actually looked into ordering a box of Whitman's online, but the shipping cost would run another $30 or more.  I'd be better off buying a box of Godiva in Chiang Mai.  Maybe that's enough to convince me to trying the good stuff.

I think I would be equally disappointed with a Whitman box too... if you want a special treat, I would look for a local place that makes some sort of chocolate tort dessert or cake... I am not in your area, but just found a place locally with a rich dark chocolate tort - not cheap at 95 baht for a small piece but really really good... after that, just near any supermarket dark chocolate does the trick... 

As a chocolatier myself, I have looked around CM for high quality couveture chocolate...It is hard to find. There is this place worth the visit, about 30฿ a peice for mid to high range quality chocolates. I think they come in from BKK, but they are definately worth the price.

Check them out...

Duc de Praslin Belgium
Dessert Restaurant

Address: 117, Bumrungrad Road, Tambun Wat Gate, Amphoe Muang Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai, 50000, 50000

2 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

They do cars ok but first I've heard they know how to do chocolates. I think you're getting mixed up with the Swiss.

Maybe that's my problem.  Now, if only I was in the market for a car....

Archived