Uk national marrying Thai national in Thailand - is this process correct?

HollyT

15 hours ago, athousand said:

I'm about to do the same process on Wednesday - I have an appointment at the British Embassy for the Affirmation to Marry. On another thread here, I read that the cost was 1,900 for the document translation and legalisation. (Below I've copied a reply I got from one of the translation services). 

However on this thread I've read that it's a good idea to also get my passport translated and stamped, which I had not come across before. Does that mean the passport translation is also sent to the MFA, or the stamping is just by the translation company. If the passport translation also needs to get stamped by the MFA does that explain the total cost of 3,000 instead of 1,900?

(Below is the quote I received from one of the translation services I found recommended on another post here) 

Translation                                        600 baht
Legalization Ministry Foreign Affairs    400 baht
Service fee                                        800 baht
EMS (postal service)                         100  baht

Total                                               1,900 baht

If you can get all this done for 1900 (3000)baht go for it... cost me 9000 baht. Which comprised of agent  meeting me outside the British Embassy taking my authorised affirmation from me for translation + passport copy...g/fs I'd card copy...legalisation at FO.. marriage signing at a Bangkok Amphoe my marriage certificate translated back to English..and all related taxi fares from hotel to Amphoe return. ..

It was a little more complicated than expected. 

Firstly, the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry at the British Embassy. It is essential to format the address exactly as on the example that can be downloaded from the website. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/594056/Specimen_Affirmation_to_marry_-_Feb_2017.pdf

I didn't include the words 'district' and 'subdistrict' and I was asked to write 'alley' instead of soi. The staff member was very helpful - she explained that the address needs to translate exactly to what is on the thai person's id card. There were at least four other people getting the Affirmation during my time at the Embassy and they all had to make an amendment (usually for the above reason).

There are two PCs available . I had to start again as I use a mac email account and I couldn't access it (they take your phone and any electronic device, so you can't use two factor authentication). I would recommend formatting your document in Microsoft word, if possible, and having it available in an email account that is accessible on a PC using Internet Explorer. That would speed up the editing process a bit. If not, you'd just do what I do and start again on the computer there. 

Secondly,  re the documents required by the amphur for the marriage registreation. The staff member at the Embassy told me that different amphurs require different documents. Some only need the passport and the legalised translation of the affidavit. Others require a certified copy of the passport also, and some even demand a translation of the certified copy that then needs to be legalised by the MFA! She also said that some change their requirements on a whim. 

I would also recommend getting your translator to send you a copy of their translation before you send it off to the MFA because there was one chap there who was turned away from his amphur because the translator had made a mistake translating a date!

I got a certified copy of the passport but in the end decided to go with Express Translation's 6,000 registration service which means all we will need is the passport and the legalised translation of the Affirmation. The price includes all form-filling,  somebody to walk us through the process at the Aree amphur in Bkk and a translation of the wedding certificate. 

I'll post as to how smoothly it all goes next week :)

• 2 months later...

Well I was planning to marry in Thailand in Aprile also. I live in UK with my Thai partner of 5 years, both divorced.

I am now thinking it may be easier to just get married here in registry office with 2 witness then do the thai ceremony for family in Thailand as UK marriage certificate valid in Thailand.

I plan to retire to LOS in 4 years at latest, possibly earlier.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:38 AM, happylarry said:

Just reread your post.....you need to take your divorce papers or death certificates if you have been married before, to prove that you are now free to marry.

And yes the MFA is the only place to legalize your documents but you really don't want to go there yourself, what with the traffic and the hassles and you probably would not get it done on the same day and would have to go back again to collect.

The price at a translation shop would probably be about two thousand baht or thereabouts including postage to your home.

HL

Have to disagree.

Went in time for office opening hour.

I took train to corner of road and a bus to the MFA.

A tout for a translation service inside the building took me to his shop where the translation was done. Don't remember how much it was, but not too much.

Then I went upstairs to submit the forms, went off to the big mall for lunch, and picked up the completed documentation in the afternoon.

Caught a bus across the road back to Morchit.

Neither complicated nor expensive, just time.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:44 AM, oldwelshman said:

Well I was planning to marry in Thailand in Aprile also. I live in UK with my Thai partner of 5 years, both divorced.

I am now thinking it may be easier to just get married here in registry office with 2 witness then do the thai ceremony for family in Thailand as UK marriage certificate valid in Thailand.

I plan to retire to LOS in 4 years at latest, possibly earlier.

Thoughts?

ABSOLUTELY. For me, getting married in LOS was a nightmare for the documentation. Amphur was a breeze though.

FAR SIMPLER to do it your way.

You'll be winning if you do it that way.

Hope you are not going to get caught in the sin sod trap though. Certainly not necessary if your partner has been married before. At most a show for "face" and get the money back after.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 2:06 PM, athousand said:

It was a little more complicated than expected. 

Firstly, the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry at the British Embassy. It is essential to format the address exactly as on the example that can be downloaded from the website. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/594056/Specimen_Affirmation_to_marry_-_Feb_2017.pdf

I didn't include the words 'district' and 'subdistrict' and I was asked to write 'alley' instead of soi. The staff member was very helpful - she explained that the address needs to translate exactly to what is on the thai person's id card. There were at least four other people getting the Affirmation during my time at the Embassy and they all had to make an amendment (usually for the above reason).

There are two PCs available . I had to start again as I use a mac email account and I couldn't access it (they take your phone and any electronic device, so you can't use two factor authentication). I would recommend formatting your document in Microsoft word, if possible, and having it available in an email account that is accessible on a PC using Internet Explorer. That would speed up the editing process a bit. If not, you'd just do what I do and start again on the computer there. 

Secondly,  re the documents required by the amphur for the marriage registreation. The staff member at the Embassy told me that different amphurs require different documents. Some only need the passport and the legalised translation of the affidavit. Others require a certified copy of the passport also, and some even demand a translation of the certified copy that then needs to be legalised by the MFA! She also said that some change their requirements on a whim. 

I would also recommend getting your translator to send you a copy of their translation before you send it off to the MFA because there was one chap there who was turned away from his amphur because the translator had made a mistake translating a date!

I got a certified copy of the passport but in the end decided to go with Express Translation's 6,000 registration service which means all we will need is the passport and the legalised translation of the Affirmation. The price includes all form-filling,  somebody to walk us through the process at the Aree amphur in Bkk and a translation of the wedding certificate. 

I'll post as to how smoothly it all goes next week :)

Just like visa extensions, different offices require different documentation, so best to ask at the office you will be using.

I found the hardest part was getting the correct affirmation as I had an unusual problem with that ( most wouldn't ), but the amphur part was easy. The biggest hassle was having to stay in Bkk and getting around as the MFA is far out.

From your post it seems that you are doing most of the work, but your beloved is no doubt capable of finding out what is required at the amphur- mine did. I just had to turn up with the documents, and she had it sorted.

If you have 6,000 to spend, no problem, but it's really not necessary ( did that include the embassy fee and the translation/ legalisation? ).

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

ABSOLUTELY. For me, getting married in LOS was a nightmare for the documentation. Amphur was a breeze though.

FAR SIMPLER to do it your way.

You'll be winning if you do it that way.

Hope you are not going to get caught in the sin sod trap though. Certainly not necessary if your partner has been married before. At most a show for "face" and get the money back after.

Yes I am doing sin sod and have mo issue with this. My partner already paid for a house to be built there for her mom having lived in UK for 10 years. Sinsod is definitely still part of culture in many areas. I know a thai couple marrying and the groom had to negotiate for less of sinsod so they not having party now. Anyhow mine is not much but I am happy to give it and I know exactly what they will use it for.

14 hours ago, oldwelshman said:

Yes I am doing sin sod and have mo issue with this. My partner already paid for a house to be built there for her mom having lived in UK for 10 years. Sinsod is definitely still part of culture in many areas. I know a thai couple marrying and the groom had to negotiate for less of sinsod so they not having party now. Anyhow mine is not much but I am happy to give it and I know exactly what they will use it for.

Hmmm. It's not part of Thai culture to buy a previously married woman.

However, if you're happy giving them the money, go for it. Many farangs that know the score give it for show, but they get the money back. A lot of Thai culture is about "face", so no harm in playing along.

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmm. It's not part of Thai culture to buy a previously married woman.

However, if you're happy giving them the money, go for it. Many farangs that know the score give it for show, but they get the money back. A lot of Thai culture is about "face", so no harm in playing along.

Buy a woman? Charming lol I do not see that I am buying anyone. We did not even have to get married it is our choice.

10 hours ago, oldwelshman said:

Buy a woman? Charming lol I do not see that I am buying anyone. We did not even have to get married it is our choice.

My last word on sin sod as it's off topic.

Yes, however they dress it up, sin sod is "buying" the daughter, as they would no longer have her around to work and look after the parents.

Used to be a common custom many parts of the world, but most gave it up centuries ago.

Doesn't matter whether you get married or not, it's not necessary for a farang to pay it, and especially not for a woman already been married. Her first husband compensated the parents already.

However, as I said, up to you if you are happy to play along.

• 1 month later...

Good advice on here as we're looking at doing this soon. We got married in England a few months ago before moving back here. 

Might be a silly question, but I have looked on their useless website. Do you need to book an appointment at the British Embassy for the affirmation of marriage, or can you just show up on the morning? 

10 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Good advice on here as we're looking at doing this soon. We got married in England a few months ago before moving back here. 

Might be a silly question, but I have looked on their useless website. Do you need to book an appointment at the British Embassy for the affirmation of marriage, or can you just show up on the morning? 

You have to book an appointment :-) show up without you get turned away :-(

On 8/15/2017 at 3:15 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

My last word on sin sod as it's off topic.

Yes, however they dress it up, sin sod is "buying" the daughter, as they would no longer have her around to work and look after the parents.

Thanks for explaining sin sod. I think I finally get it now.

It's kind of like a barfine.  

2 hours ago, Watchful said:

Thanks for explaining sin sod. I think I finally get it now.

It's kind of like a barfine.  

Us to add many families discreetly give the sinsot  back to you before the end of the day it is part of the celebrations in most traditional weddings mine was handed back before the end of the day...We always take care of mother in law everytime we visit a few hundred but is always helpful and appreciated.