Video: Hunt on for foreigners who disrespected Thai flag

webfact

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, kannot said:

ok so you dont find the potential sentences "ridiculous"

Not at all, given the evidence. But then it doesn't really matter what I think about the sentences. I'm not Thai, I don't vote here, I'm a guest, have been for over 15yrs, I respect the country, powers that be, and the faith and I never had any problems. This was totally avoidable, it's not like they got drunk and got into a argument that lead to a fisticuffs with a taxi driver. No, they decided to disrespect the flag for what? 

It would be nice to know what their boggle was

I get frustrated by motorcycles going the wrong way, cars turning without signalling, cars parking where they please, shop vendors hogging up sidewalks and the list goes on.

I posted once about a mechanic who ripped me off and I had pictures to prove it, but was reprimanded and banned from the forum for a while, because I was defaming a Thai company...

It would also be nice to be able to be in a country, where you have the opportunity to complain, without fear of defamation and slander

It would be nice if the media is allowed to expose issues without the fear of some pineapple type lawsuit

Of course people are frustrated and its not just the westerners

When the people and its visitors are gagged, there will be some form of retaliation, even if its just a taking down of a flag

If we knew why they took down the flags, then some of us just might sympathize with their action, even if we dont agree.

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

It's a piece of coloured cloth ( just to get things into perspective )

So is a photo of your mother, but best believe if I was a guest in your house I wouldn't rip it off the wall and step on it. I don't know you or her, but I know that picture means something too you, and out of simple human decency and common sense, I respect the things in your home whilst I'm your guest.

I was drunk on Raki in Turkey once. Wanted one to take home. Got caught.

The cops ended up giving me one. And one of there badges. Also got a photo opp with them pretending to arrest me.

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It isnt just a piece of cloth, its a piece of cloth with a meaning and significance

That is just what has been drilled into your head since you were born. It's a logo for a country, that's all.

Every corporation has a logo.

7 minutes ago, Zatoichi said:

So is a photo of your mother, but best believe if I was a guest in your house I wouldn't rip it off the wall and step on it. I don't know you or her, but I know that picture means something too you, and out of simple human decency and common sense, I respect the things in your home whilst I'm your guest.

The crime is vandalism, nothing more, but here it will get blown out of proportion due to sentimental 'love' of the country and its symbols

4 hours ago, chrisinth said:

I will have no sympathy for these two when they are caught and really do hope they do time for this.

For anyone thinking this is a trivial matter, try doing this to your own national flag in your home country.......................;)

Obama says it is ok and the supreme court agrees. So, what country are you considering?

3 hours ago, katana said:

Manager Online says the 2 youths were arrested on Sunday night. The culprits were a 20 and 18 year-old, both reported as being Italian (although their transliterated names don't sound very Italian?).

They're apologising profusely, saying they were drunk. Thai online comment seems pretty heated.

Police said they will charge them with damage to property and desecrating the national flag.

image.jpg

If justice would only move so swiftly in all things. 

4 hours ago, watcharacters said:

YOU are correct about how to act in a foreign country.

However, if you were in my home country you could spit,  stomp on,  and burn my countries flag in public and you would have the protection of the law for your actions.

It's called freedom of expression/speech.

If a country does not allow for  that then  anyone breaking the law in a foreign country  should realize the potential  gravity of his actions.

Doubt even in your country they would allow any flags to be rip down that were hung in a public place, although they would probably be let off.

A tourist goes to some country on holiday. While he’s there, he gets a chance to talk with a local and starts asking:

- How’s the media here? You have a few TV shows about dragons and movies about super heroes.

- Can’t complain.

- How about the education system? Are your schools ok? There are stories about cheating and mistreatment.

- Can’t complain.

- But what about those numerous road accidents and missed trials? 

- Can’t complain.

- But then, I don’t get it. Why don't many of you leave? 

- I already told you why: we can’t complain.

Farang Flag Defacers: Police find two Italians that tore down Thai flags in Krabi (VIDEO)

By Laurel Tuohy 

wai_0.jpg

KRABI: -- In a clip that made the internet rounds this weekend, two foreign men are seen on CCTV defacing Thai flags in Krabi.

The one-minute clip, originally posted by Facebook user Anake Saranath, appears to be taken outside of a business and the timestamp on the footage says that it happened at 3:29am on Saturday morning.

In it, the men are sitting at the far end of the camera’s view before walking further into the frame. A tall caucasian man rips down a Thai flag and throws it to the ground. Next, a shorter caucasian man walks up to the flags and rips down three more. The second man appears angry while the first man seems quite casual about defacing a national symbol of Thailand.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2017/01/09/farang-flag-defacers-police-find-two-italians-tore-down-thai-flags-krabi-video

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-01-09

1 minute ago, dcnx said:

That is just what has been drilled into your head since you were born. It's a logo for a country, that's all.

Yes, its logo for a Country , which gives it significance .

It signifies a Country and the message was "This is what we think of Thailand"

It also wasnt their property to damage.

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

The crime is vandalism, nothing more, but here it will get blown out of proportion due to sentimental 'love' of the country and its symbols

Right and if you punched me in the teeth for disrespecting your mother by tossing down her picture from the wall and stepping on it, would I not deserve it? Is it wrong for you to love your mother, even if she made her mistakes? Ofcourse not, bottom line, they were in Thailand, tore down the flag, the people here respect their nation and place a value on it's symbolism. It's not entrapment, nobody forced those jerk offs to tear down all those flags. They chose to, for no benefit other than to feel important, special, perhaps above the law. Not like there was any money in the crime.

14 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

absolutely

high pranks (stupid pranks) but that is ALL they don't deserve the death penalty even in this xenophobic, nationalist country

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, its logo for a Country , which gives it significance .

It signifies a Country and the message was "This is what we think of Thailand"

It also wasnt their property to damage.

Yes, it is property damage. That much I'll agree with.

1 minute ago, LannaGuy said:

absolutely

high pranks (stupid pranks) but that is ALL they don't deserve the death penalty even in this xenophobic, nationalist country

Has anyone actually stated that they deserve the "death penalty" ?

Just now, sanemax said:

Has anyone actually stated that they deserve the "death penalty" ?

it was a humorous 'jab' as you know very well 

they were stupid but the punishment should fit the petty crime (a fine) not hysterics about the sanctity of Thailand

31 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

It's a piece of coloured cloth ( just to get things into perspective )

So I take it then you would have no problems if I want to one of your relatives graves, and desecrated the headstone, cause you know- according to you, it's only some stone or concrete with no meaning behind it.

4 hours ago, chrisinth said:

I will have no sympathy for these two when they are caught and really do hope they do time for this.

For anyone thinking this is a trivial matter, try doing this to your own national flag in your home country.......................;)

Seriously?  A lot of country wouldn't give a darn!  Why?  Because these countries have other values, like respecting other people point of view and political views for example.  (hint hint)  Not everyone has a fixation to punish foreign drunks and stupid people.  The cops have nothing better to do than that and stealing money from people???