Truck crash kills one migrant worker, injures 15 others

webfact

Truck crash kills one migrant worker, injures 15 others

090107.jpg

KAMPHAENG PHET: -- One female Myanmar migrant worker was killed and 15 others injured after the pick-up truck they travelled in rammed at the rear of a sugarcane truck in Kamphaeng Phet province before dawn Monday.

The incident happened at about 2.00am on the Phaholyothin highway in Kosampheenakhon district of Kamphaeng Phet.

The workers were travelling from Bangkok to Mae Sot district of Tak.

Questioning of the injured truck driver Koravi Jarukkiri, 43, revealed that he drove all the migrant workers from Bangkok back to Mae Sot.

As the truck approached a sharp curve on the highway amid the rain, he saw a sugarcane truck running slowly on the front instantly, making him unable to stop the vehicle.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/truck-crash-kills-one-migrant-worker-injures-15-others/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-09

"As the truck approached a sharp curve on the highway amid the rain, he saw a sugarcane truck running slowly on the front instantly, making him unable to stop the vehicle." 

He almost mentioned all of the many reasons. Though he forgot about his failed brakes. Sometimes I think that the authors of these article just automatically include the often heard excuses as it is so common.

And how many died in the back of the overloaded pickup last week in Chonburi? I wonder if even knowing about this horrific wreck people even consider it for a moment when they themselves overload a pickup illegally with passengers in the back of it. Again, due to the education system, not able to apply common sense.

But no one ever includes the fact that they fell asleep, were driving to fast for conditions, to fast in general, under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Or due to lack of training, possession of a license, or they just never learned how to operate a moving vehicle. Simply get in or on and drive like a bat out of hell.

When will the policing start and the carnage slow down??????? What will it take. I am open to suggestions. Only lately the officials have talked the talk. How about they walk the walk.

6 minutes ago, tompelli said:

Truck driver kills one migrant worker.

Yet another professional display of of Asian driving skills . R.I.P.

Amazing how the cars here crumple up so much at normal speed and due care!

Mabey one may suggest to look in the weetbix box and not cornflakes for their licence.

6 minutes ago, ThaiTrav said:

Yet another professional display of of Asian driving skills . R.I.P.

Amazing how the cars here crumple up so much at normal speed and due care!

Mabey one may suggest to look in the weetbix box and not cornflakes for their licence.

With that much human weight in the back it's normal the truck crumples up.

It's not normal that the driver didn't see the sugarcane truck, i mean those things are not tiny or so. Still lucky that only 1 of the passengers died, it could have been much worse.

Cannot understand why they are writing " truck " instead of  pickup ; or pickup-truck .

So there were 17 people in a pickup ..16 passengers and a driver .:post-4641-1156693976:

Amazing Thailand ..

Do thai drivers know the MUST first go to the police station to ask for an written authorisation to have people in the dump ?

50 minutes ago, fruitman said:

It's not normal that the driver didn't see the sugarcane truck, i mean those things are not tiny or so. Still lucky that only 1 of the passengers died, it could have been much worse.

You should consider the fact that many times these large trucks have burnt out tail lights and cracked and dirty reflectors. They are often very hard to spot at night. Add in the rain and the driver presumably driving well over a safe speed, and you can see how he had a hard time seeing the truck in time.

1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

"As the truck approached a sharp curve on the highway amid the rain, he saw a sugarcane truck running slowly on the front instantly, making him unable to stop the vehicle." 

He almost mentioned all of the many reasons. Though he forgot about his failed brakes. Sometimes I think that the authors of these article just automatically include the often heard excuses as it is so common.

And how many died in the back of the overloaded pickup last week in Chonburi? I wonder if even knowing about this horrific wreck people even consider it for a moment when they themselves overload a pickup illegally with passengers in the back of it. Again, due to the education system, not able to apply common sense.

But no one ever includes the fact that they fell asleep, were driving to fast for conditions, to fast in general, under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Or due to lack of training, possession of a license, or they just never learned how to operate a moving vehicle. Simply get in or on and drive like a bat out of hell.

When will the policing start and the carnage slow down??????? What will it take. I am open to suggestions. Only lately the officials have talked the talk. How about they walk the walk.

Here I go again with my little rant that becausr this govt is all-powerful with no official opposition, and no unofficial opposition allowed, it could stop this carnage in a very short time if it had the inclination.

27 minutes ago, FloridaExport said:

You should consider the fact that many times these large trucks have burnt out tail lights and cracked and dirty reflectors. They are often very hard to spot at night. Add in the rain and the driver presumably driving well over a safe speed, and you can see how he had a hard time seeing the truck in time.

Yes those sugarcanetrucks also loose their load often and are driven buy very young boys, not even old enough to drive motocycles.

Our car got hit by falling sugarcane one day, also by many coconuts falling from an overloaded truck.

But there's no police so anybody can do as they please. And in case of an accident like this they will say mai pen lai and continu doing it the same way.

Even in BKK it's very common to have blown bulbs on a vehicle, also to not use indicators. The police don't care.

Explains the true reality of the explotive Capitalist system in Thailand.

Undoubtably the pickup truck was owned by a rich Thai bussiness man who was importing illegal foriegn workers for his business.

Illegal foriegn workers, probably bought by kicknacks to some local gobernment biggie.

Cheap labor eans low wages and big profits for the rich man at the top/

Old story.

Profits before people

Not so long ago my Thai g/f nearly conned me into taking 15 passengers (university students) on field trip 60km from Phethchabun. This would have involved driving on Highway 21, a relatively high speed dual carriageway where there are frequent police 'tea money' checkpoints.

I use the word 'conned' because I was told I had to meet her daughter and 3 friends at the uni where they had parked their motorcycles for the day. I speak and understand a little of the Thai language, and overheard her talking about 'sip khun' to her daughter over the 'phone. I questioned her about what I heard and she reluctantly 'spilled the beans' and told me the truth ie. 5 in the cab + 10 (sip khun) in the open back of the pick-up.

I was looking for a polite way out of this dilemma and said I would check with my insurance company about cover for any passengers carried in the open back of the pick-up. I was told that cover only extends to the number of seats in the cab, so anyone in the back would be carried at their own risk. I translated this to my way of thinking which was that in the event of an accident the falang (me)  usually has to pay.

I explained this to my g/f who looked at me as if I'd just pooped on her birthday party. She was not a happy lady. Let this be a warning to any falang with a pick-up, especially at times like Song Kran when pick-ups get loaded with youngsters/adults in the back. If there's an accident, you'll be paying out regardless of whose fault it might have been.  

3 hours ago, catinthehat said:

It's not you business....You no understand Thai.

1 hour ago, gwynt said:

Why is it relevent that the person killed was a "Migrant" worker are they less important than a Thai Worker?

Yes in Thai terms they are lower than Thais, but 15 injured, someone is not doing  their job (RTP) , .....oh I am sorry that is for Thais, migrants pack them in no problem.

Busy street Ubon last night 3 cars did not have there lights on . 4 motorbikes did not have lights on and worse part was they were speeding. Main road 4 lanes Car stops and car just reverses back up the highway in wrong direction My god  Goes on and on I  guess the funeral parlours do well in Thailand and the hospitals must be overflowing My Thai wife informs me 100,000 for funeral expenses in Thailand Those funeral guys are wishing this insane madness never stops But the one thing that is the root of all this is that the police are not doing there there job

A six-hour trip from BKK to Mae Sot in the back of a pickup in the rain is all a migrant deserves?    Unfortunately, in Thailand, the answer is YES.   Exploited workers have very few rights or privileges in the Land of Smiles.

Mae Sot is the garment sweat shop capital in Thailand, due to the supply of  cheap labour from across the Moei River in Myanmar.   The town's economic prosperity is  due largely to the black market trade in goods and people smuggling.

The official transit point over the river is a beautiful bridge complete with immigration check points on each side which sees a trickle of business.   But, most of the action occurs about 200 metres upstream with a fleet of little boats full of contraband zipping back and forward across the Moei, bypassing all official scrutiny.

Thai immigration, customs and police keep are distant but interested eye on proceedings to ensure they don't miss out on a single baht of kick-backs.   It is just disgusting to witness what goes on in broad daylight there.