Validity of Non immigrant o visa after divorce

Hi folks

I obtained a non immigrant o visa in Laos last June, it gave me a years stay in Thailand on the condition that i exit and enter every 3 months. I have been following the rules with this but now me and my former wife have divorced. Can i still stay in Thailand on this visa until it expires? Thanks.

You can continue using your multiple entry non-o visa until it expires since it is not directly tied to you being married.

If you had an extension of stay based upon marriage from immigration it would end on the date you get divorced.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On ‎9‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, ubonjoe said:

You can continue using your multiple entry non-o visa until it expires since it is not directly tied to you being married.

If you had an extension of stay based upon marriage from immigration it would end on the date you get divorced.

sorry if I have not understood this correctly, but the case is as follows. currently on extension based upon marriage due to expire april 2018, got divorced sept 2017, wanting to change to retirement visa, can this be done in march 2018, am I in trouble because of divorce in sept 2017??? if so what would be my options  I,e, leave country obtain tourist visa convert to retirement visa at immigration???? I thank you for any help cheers

1 hour ago, dutchdog3000 said:

sorry if I have not understood this correctly, but the case is as follows. currently on extension based upon marriage due to expire april 2018, got divorced sept 2017, wanting to change to retirement visa, can this be done in march 2018, am I in trouble because of divorce in sept 2017??? if so what would be my options  I,e, leave country obtain tourist visa convert to retirement visa at immigration???? I thank you for any help cheers

You technically have been on an overstay since the date your divorce was finalized.

I suggest you leave and re-enter the country to get a 30 day visa exempt entry and apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration. You must have 15 days remaining on your 30 day entry or the 30 day extension of it to apply for the visa.

1 hour ago, dutchdog3000 said:

thanks so very much for your prompt answer ill get on to it asap. cheers

You should, however, be warned that a few immigration offices (in particular Jomtien and Maptaput) steadfastly refuse, in practice, to process conversions from the standard 30-day stamp (or even a tourist visa) to a 90-day non-immigrant "O" visa. Should your local office be one of those, therefore, your only option is to apply for a single-entry 90-day non-immigrant "O" visa on the grounds of being aged 50 or over at either Vientiane or Penang - provided, of course, that you can meet the relevant financial, etc, requirements.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

... option is to apply for a single-entry 90-day non-immigrant "O" visa on the grounds of being aged 50 or over at either Vientiane or Penang - provided, of course, that you can meet the relevant financial, etc, requirements.

Savanakhet (or Penang) is a better choice than Vientiane, because Vientiane has started asking for a police report and medical to apply there for a single-entry Non-O based on retirement.

Edited by JackThompson

19 hours ago, OJAS said:

You should, however, be warned that a few immigration offices (in particular Jomtien and Maptaput) steadfastly refuse, in practice, to process conversions from the standard 30-day stamp (or even a tourist visa) to a 90-day non-immigrant "O" visa. Should your local office be one of those, therefore, your only option is to apply for a single-entry 90-day non-immigrant "O" visa on the grounds of being aged 50 or over at either Vientiane or Penang - provided, of course, that you can meet the relevant financial, etc, requirements.

thanks mate for this info, ill let him know about this as hes a bit confused, the immigration office would be Buriram and I myself have not heard much about them.  He is looking at just doing a border run via Udon thanni/laos, but he just txted me that he was told that he could only get 15days exempt (he has UK passport). has there been any changes to the 30days exempt run?? cheers

16 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Savanakhet (or Penang) is a better choice than Vientiane, because Vientiane has started asking for a police report and medical to apply there for a single-entry Non-O based on retirement.

thanks Jack ill let my mate know, see my reply to OJAS above this poor bloke is getting very worried and confused, he has 800k in thai bank in early jan so that's no problem, and I think he just wants to go do border run and then off to immigration for retirement visa etc. Ive already told him to go to immigration and get their checklist of said requirements. thanks again for your help, As I'm on a different visa so don't know much about what he needs to do etc cheers

12 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

it’s a multiple entry 1 year visa?

On 1/9/2017 at 3:05 PM, ubonjoe said: