Public van services must have GPS installed for safety reasons

webfact

Public van services must have GPS installed for safety reasons

BANGKOK, 9 January 2017 (NNT) - The Department of Land Transport will require all interprovincial van services to have a GPS tracking device installed by March 31st, following fatal road accidents during the New Year holidays. 

Public vans were found to be the biggest violators of speed limits, compared to other types of vehicles. The Department of Land Transport has therefore decided to force all public vans operating between Bangkok and other provinces to install the same GPS tracking devices as public buses. 

The GPS devices will allow the department to monitor driving behavior in real time, showing the vehicle’s destination, speed, and active hours. The measure will help authorities manage public transportation and ensure passengers safety. 

As for other kinds of public transports, the trailer trucks are obligated to install GPS devices within the year, while 10-wheelers must comply within 2018 and vehicles with more than 10 wheels within 2019.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-01-09

Why not straight away so that they can try to slow the death rates immediately, stalling it is absolute bullsh*t but typical of everything they do. Next we will see them give exemptions to those that cry poor and cant afford it like they are doing with the fishing boats, the thai laws are a joke as are those that instigate them. Better yet why not use speed limiters on them all and make any truck/bus/van driver have to undergo professional driver training

Anything as long as the police don't have to enforce the law.

that is the problem with corruption.

And the GPS thing is just another avenue for more corruption.

Sales, installation, monitoring. All BS.

And on and on it goes, where it stops, nobody knows. 

So do you really think a GPS monitor is going to help the carnage on the roads...a little man sitting in office sees a blinking light on monitor..he says to himself shit a blinking light..as the van runs off the road and into a tree. Its all crap.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, seajae said:

Why not straight away so that they can try to slow the death rates immediately, stalling it is absolute bullsh*t but typical of everything they do. Next we will see them give exemptions to those that cry poor and cant afford it like they are doing with the fishing boats, the thai laws are a joke as are those that instigate them. Better yet why not use speed limiters on them all and make any truck/bus/van driver have to undergo professional driver training

Cannot rush into these things. Everyone needs to be patient. The government's "connections" need to set up their exclusive distribution rights and agencies with "certified" GPS systems which can only be "approved" by "nominated" government officials. These things take time to organise and commission arrangements put in place.

On 1/9/2017 at 4:46 PM, mike324 said:

Wasn't that already a policy several years ago? A better thing would be to have speedometer limited and locked to 100 km/hr, this would require yearly inspections.

Won't fly off on the bends but lots of head on's when attempting overtakes on two way roads probably increase in deaths

Edited by kartman

1 hour ago, Usual Suspect said:

GPS fitted in minivans will only be checked AFTER a serious accident/incident has taken place..the carnage will continue for many years yet.. TiT

No it won't, GPS enables easy real time checking of the vehicle just as with the almost accident-free bus service NCA.

33 minutes ago, chainarong said:

Laughable and typically Thai train of thought , at least you will be able to tell the Northing and Easting position of the crash ...........................:cheesy:

Typical Thaivisa train of thought, take the piss out of an improvement in the current situation.

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

Improvement - you jest.. 

It is an improvement even if baby steps, it is motion forwards. 

What is the problem on the data presented? Want some spectacularly revolutionary or just something to whinge about? Has to be one or the other/

I worry more about the boredom some of you blokes endure.

The speeds from the GPS, when applied to the map/location database, are often not correct.

I've gone through this crap in the US for a few years.      If it doesn't work well in the US....how will it work in Thailand?   (and we get checked and monitored a lot more in the US0

I've had to use a few commercial systems from separate companies, and they're not accurate.

Where they are OK is limiting the time the driver can drive.  It's hard to fake the electronic logs, or work around them.   This only works if you actually check, and enforce the electronic logs.

The database that shows if the vehicle is speeding, depends on an accurate GPS fix, and an up to date database of the speed limits...everywhere.

It  doesn't take into effect work zones, weather, traffic, etc.     The ones I have been subjected to will often place me on the wrong road, say I'm speeding (for that road), and report me.

More knowledgeable cops on the road, pulling the buses/trucks over after watching how they drive trumps faulty electronic stuff any day.   If they driver is more careful so he doesn't have to pay a bribe on the side of the road, that works too.  :)

8 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Why not digital tachograph as we have in Europe since so many years ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachograph

Do you not know that 'we' have been fixing tachys for years and they'll do the same. It's another pathetic attempt at letting people see that 'they' are doing something.

Here's an idea - why not tackle the reasons instead of the causes? Wish I'd thought of that.