Bangkok Taxi drivers out of control?

jimbob123

Has anyone else noticed that Bangkok taxi drivers have been driving much more dangerously over the past months or is it just my bad luck?

All too often after jumping in a cab, the driver floors it for as far as he can go then brakes sharply to avoid hitting vehicles ahead. Once the traffic clears he floors it again and so the process repeats.

What is the reason? Are they going as quick as possible in order to maximise fares and get more customers? I'd rather pay extra and have a relaxing ride than this sort of roller-coaster journey. Plus I actually want to live.

I've had little of this experience, the last time being years ago. The motorcycle taxi drivers, however, are another thing. About 20% of them are insanely fast and reckless. A small percentage simply don't want to take a farang (worse in Pattaya, but then . . .). Best of all though are the lady motocy drivers. They're careful and polite -- I frequently throw in a tip to them.

My sole gripe is that the taxi cabs won't take you where you want to go. In daytime, it's not a big problem. In nighttime, I average 3-4 refusals per journey, with 5 refusals the most so far. And I'm only going from Prom Pong to Phra Khanong. I've been here 6+ years and I and my friends can speak Thai for this transaction. So there's no confusion.

Uber is  a Scam.

Use the "Grab a Cab" app instead.

This is the 2nd planting season upcountry and farmers are coming into Bangkok from upcountry to make some money driving a cab.

Happens every year.

When the  rains start the farmers will be going back up country to plant rice again.

We will go back to the local drivers again for  another year.

I think you just have to pick well. New years eve on Soi 23 at 2 am. I wait for a cab that will use a meter. Only had to wait for the 3rd cab, a matter of minutes. Fare to Punnawithi Suk Soi 101 for 75 baht. Sure he got a great tip, but if we all reward the good cabs and ignore the bad, I know it will take a log time, but it may get through. Sure sometimes I have to wait for the 6th or 7th cab, but they are there and it is never a long wait.

Not only cabs but all vehicles including bikes. Whenever there is a gap it's peddle to the metal for 300 meters and then back in the the same traffic again.

Even beach Rd Pattaya the Chinese tourist buses gun it until forced to slow approaching walking St.
Just madness!

is it reasonable to assume that taxis from the taxi rank downstairs at swampy will use the meter?...I got one from there into town a few years ago and the driver became unpleasant when I insisted that he use the meter although I thought that was the deal when you got a taxi from there...I got some friends arriving and need to advise them...

3 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

is it reasonable to assume that taxis from the taxi rank downstairs at swampy will use the meter?...I got one from there into town a few years ago and the driver became unpleasant when I insisted that he use the meter although I thought that was the deal when you got a taxi from there...I got some friends arriving and need to advise them...

Normally they use the meter. I had one that went ballistic that I insisted on using the meter. He kept ranting in Thai about how I should be going to Pattaya. Rather unpleasant little piece of work he was. 

As he was screaming I just pointed at my phone and told him I will report him to the hotline.

When we got there I wasn't about to tip and he obviously didn't have change. So I told him I wanted my change and insisted he make change or accept less than the meter said. So he lost out on something like 7 Baht lol. 

Be careful out there though they are not opposed to becoming violent. 

But yes, 99% of the time they will turn the meter on from the airport. If they do not get out of the taxi before it leaves the parking area. They will lose their turn in the queue.

27 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Normally they use the meter. I had one that went ballistic that I insisted on using the meter. He kept ranting in Thai about how I should be going to Pattaya. Rather unpleasant little piece of work he was. 

As he was screaming I just pointed at my phone and told him I will report him to the hotline.

When we got there I wasn't about to tip and he obviously didn't have change. So I told him I wanted my change and insisted he make change or accept less than the meter said. So he lost out on something like 7 Baht lol. 

Be careful out there though they are not opposed to becoming violent. 

But yes, 99% of the time they will turn the meter on from the airport. If they do not get out of the taxi before it leaves the parking area. They will lose their turn in the queue.

thanx...normally when I use a taxi from the airport it's to go up to Suphanburi and it's flat rate agreed upon before you get in the cab...but sometimes I need to go into town first...usually when I'm workin' and feelin' flush I get the limousine service from my BKK hotel, more expensive but nice, no hassles, etc (tutsi settles into the back and lights his monte cristo with a $20 bill, etc...)

but now, forever to dwell in pensioner penury...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

8 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

thanx...normally when I use a taxi from the airport it's to go up to Suphanburi and it's flat rate agreed upon before you get in the cab...but sometimes I need to go into town first...usually when I'm workin' and feelin' flush I get the limousine service from my BKK hotel, more expensive but nice, no hassles, etc (tutsi settles into the back and lights his monte cristo with a $20 bill, etc...)

but now, forever to dwell in pensioner penury...

Monte Christo with a $20 bill? Somebody is taking their ride in a Toyota Camry too seriously. :)

19 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Monte Christo with a $20 bill? Somebody is taking their ride in a Toyota Camry too seriously. :)

well...you know (mumble)...but, them back seats in them camrys are really comfortable?! goes well with the duty free vodka and the coke and ice that I got from the airport family mart...

Edited by tutsiwarrior