Free To Air (FTA) Satellite TV

Shot

I’m in Phuket and looking for an FTA system. I would prefer something that will work with my old “True” dish, but that’s not a deal breaker if there is a better system with a new dish.

I see the shops all over the island, but would like to have some knowledge of prices, available channels, etc before going in.

Any help is much appreciated. I also apologize a 1000 times if this has been cover many times before, but as we all know the search function is not what is used to be.

Thanks again

Gomer

Edited by Shot

If your True dish is pointed to 78 deg Thaicom 5/6 you can use any GMM or PSI type tuner for FTA channels (with automatic tuning) - believe on the small dish that will be about 70-80.  And will not include much other than Thai channels but good quality signal if not raining.  Use of C-band (larger mesh dish) would provide a lot more channels but again not much in English - but antenna does not cost very much actually.    

Your old True dish will be pointing 78 deg to Thaicom 5/6 and recently launched new Thaicom 8 satellite. Best bet is to buy the new IPM HD Pro 3 sat receiver which can pick up both FTA C and KU band signals on all these satellites, bare in mind you would need a C band dish also to get the C band signals. By using IPM receiver you will get all the IPM channels which other receivers cannot receive which is about 20 HD channels and 60 SD channels. Note many channels with western programs in Thai dubbing sometimes can be switched to English by changing the audio language settings, this is quite common with the digital terrestrial channels ( 26 in total) broadcast via standard yagi Aerial.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:37 AM, lopburi3 said:

If your True dish is pointed to 78 deg Thaicom 5/6 you can use any GMM or PSI type tuner for FTA channels (with automatic tuning) - believe on the small dish that will be about 70-80.  And will not include much other than Thai channels but good quality signal if not raining.  Use of C-band (larger mesh dish) would provide a lot more channels but again not much in English - but antenna does not cost very much actually.    

So, a C band ready receiver will work with my current "True" dish for some channels, and later I could upgrade to a mesh dish to include C band channels? That is probably a stupid question, but I want to be sure. :smile:

Edited by Shot

No a C-band works with a C-band dish - but almost all tuners are both Ku and C-band these days so if it has Ku ability it will work with the small solid True dish and if also C-band would allow operation with that later (about 300 channels).  Know the GMM and PSI are auto-tuned by provider so nothing required other than turning on and waiting for the tune program to finish.

• 4 weeks later...

We decided on the GMM setup, but after visiting two shops we were unable to find a set. Both shops didn't stock the GMM product and tried to upsell us to a 3500 Baht system that they would install. I finally ordered the GMM Gold set from Lazada, and it came yesterday. I opened the package this morning and had the system up and running in 5 minutes. The Mrs. is thrilled.

I very much appreciate all the input. Thanks a bunch.

Gomer