Eight Reasons Thailand Is The Best Digital Nomad Destination

theguyfromanotherforum

5 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

That's what I said on post 45 [page 2.

My posts were more of a response to the statement you made that the "best" coders would be in SFO. I'd contend that the "best" have the ability to pick and choose both location and client, and that they are not required to be on-site. Some like to be, but some don't and for them Thailand is a decent place to stay, aside from the time zone.

SFO orgs pay best so that's an obvious choice for client location, and Thailand has a low cost of living a well as a great tax treatment of foreign income, so it's a logical choice of location.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, JB300 said:

My memory is very hazy from that time (was focused more on architecting & developing the Orchestration to Data layers) but didn't people have to keep using table-based designs long after CSS was available because of MS IE dominance in the browser market & their (typical at that time) refusal to adopt/accept Industry (want to say W3C?) standards?

IIRC, it was only with the move to IE5 (might have even been IE6 + major upgrade & CSS 2.0) when it became viable for people who had to develop for IE browsers (I.e all internal websites) to use CSS... but it was a Paradigm shift from previous approaches (XML/XSLT/Soap probably being the next jump).

Anyways those were great days, like I say, I'm both jealous of & sorry for the guys that are doing the same nowadays.

Edit: just realised we're well OT here, maybe somebody could start an "Old Timers Coding War Stories Thread"... I've got a few to contribute :P

Yes and no.

When CSS Zen Garden showed the world that the way forward was with CSS rather than table-based design (thanks in no small part to the Mozart design I made), IE5.5 was mainstream.

Those were the days of box model hacks and other IE workarounds. Mozilla had just brought out a semi-compliant browser; Opera appeared to be gaining space; IE6 was on the horizon but just as defunct (with respect to CSS compliance) as IE5.5.

So yes, CSS didn't replace table-based design overnight. It took a few years.

--------------------

I too remember those days well: endless hours spent trying to get IE to do what every other browser could achieve with ease.

--------------------

These days things are so different. All major browsers support CSS3  and the days of hacks are long gone. 

All is good. Peace!

4 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

My posts were more if a response to the statement you made that the "best" coders would be in SFO. I'd contend that the "best" have the ability to pick and choose both location and client, and that they are not required to be on-site.

I read recently where Phoenix AZ is the hotspot.

6 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

There are options for those here longer term to become legal by going through BOI companies and giving up 30% of their income but, by definition, a "nomad" is itinerant.

It's not practical for them to get a work permit for a year when they might only be here for 6 months before moving on.

For those staying long-term, the options start to make more sense but, even then, many make less than $2,000 a month which while being enough to live reasonably comfortably in Thailand, isn't enough to meet the criteria some of the facilitators insist upon.

Your claim that anyone not meeting your arbitrary and notional level of income to put money into the economy is idiotic.

Even though an online worker making less than $2,000 a month isn't exactly loaded, he or she is still bringing more into the economy than many foreign retirees and others on fixed incomes.

It's funny because I've never heard a digital nomad bragging about how important his or her income is to the Thai economy but I do hear an awful lot of self-important dinosaurs with an inflated sense of their worth saying how Thailand would collapse if they, as a group, left the country.

Work permits can be issued for any length of time from 2 weeks to 3 months to a year - no excuse.

Tough - don't earn enough to be here legally, go elsewhere.

Not my figure, the figure that Immigration sets for an extension of stay based on employment.

Edited by muzmurray

Just now, muzmurray said:

Work permits can be issued for any length of time from 2 weeks to 3 months to a year - no excuse/

Tough - don't earn enough to be here legally, go elsewhere.

Not my figure, the figure that Immigration sets for an extension of stay based on emplyment.

Strangely enough, I don't think that those digital nomads who don't earn much will be paying much attention to your suggestion they go elsewhere so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Teachers get work permits on as little as 30 or 40K a month; hardly big bucks.

Guys let's agree to disagree (or let's argue about Anthony Hopkins not being able to act his way out of a paper bag)...

We all have a different perspective on things... live & let live [emoji1303]

Edit: JL Apologies it was your post I replied to, I'm in no way judging (though it's fortunate that I'm probably more on your side of the argument than the other side) just (for me) it's an interesting thread that heading down the usual "spat for spat" route of being closed by the mods

24 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Guys let's agree to disagree (or let's argue about Anthony Hopkins not being able to act his way out of a paper bag)...

We all have a different perspective on things... live & let live

Agree 100%.

I have massive respect for YeahSiam. He's the gentleman whose well-crafted accusation in a ThaiVisa thread two years ago led to the boiler room criminal giving himself away. The boiler room criminal's reply was in fact the very best post I've ever seen on TV.

And who can doubt the magisterial talents of Mr JL Crab -- xylophonist to Siamese Kings, Russian Czars, Roman Emperors and Babylonian Gods. 

Agree 100%.

I have massive respect for YeahSiam. He's the gentleman whose well-crafted accusation in a ThaiVisa thread two years ago led to the boiler room criminal giving himself away. The boiler room criminal's reply was in fact the very best post I've ever seen on TV.

And who can doubt the magisterial talents of Mr JL Crab -- xylophonist to Siamese Kings, Russian Czars, Roman Emperors and Babylonian Gods. 

If you can, please post the link to the thread, I'd love to read it [emoji106]

2 minutes ago, JB300 said:

If you can, please post the link to the thread, I'd love to read it emoji106.png

This is the thread:

Five pages of "off-topic bickering" were subsequently removed by moderator Metisdead, but it was here that the Boiler Room Criminal gave himself away. 

Prior to this I had become aware of the Criminal. I set up five or six accounts in an attempt to trap him, but to no avail. It was YeahSiam who got him.

One comment made by the  Criminal stood out -- I've discussed this comment with police and lawyers, and they all agree it was the perfect giveaway.

Later this evening (I have to out soon) I'll PM you and YeahSiam with details. 

Wow!!! What's left of the thread is proper childish behaviour (surprised the mods didn't just delete it) but not knowing the background (or being privy to the 5 pages that got deleted) I'll say no more.

I'm hoping for a Mark Twain style response here... but I thought I'd read recently that Neverdie had, well, died!

If so RIP fella, I've been on threads with him before & none have been like the one above so hoping (Q M.T.) that the reports were greatly exaggerated.

Chiang Mai is the digital nomad capital of the world because it's cheap, it's the only reason and the rest are merely benefits.

There are 4 types of digital nomads in Chiang Mai:

1 - Read the 4 Hour Work Week and headed to Thailand with $15K. Spends all their money on coffee, coworking spaces, and pretends to be an entrepreneur until they go home with their tale between their legs. Roughly 30%

2 - Makes enough to get by in CM, but has a lot of fun. Roughly 30%

3 - Makes enough to get by. Will eventually build business up to respectable income. Roughly 30%

4 - Make good money: 5kpm to 100kpm+. Roughly 10%

Most real entrepreneurs come and go, Chiang Mai is a place for the poor. Trust me, I know.

But who cares what category they're in, living in Asia is great.

All this talk about correct visas and tax makes me throw up in my mouth. Are some people really so pathetic. I would hate to meet a few of you in real life.

13 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

Strangely enough, I don't think that those digital nomads who don't earn much will be paying much attention to your suggestion they go elsewhere so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Teachers get work permits on as little as 30 or 40K a month; hardly big bucks.

Income has nothing to do with minimum incomes, that is for extensions of stay based on employment,(and teachers are exempt).

All this talk about correct visas and tax makes me throw up in my mouth. Are some people really so pathetic. I would hate to meet a few of you in real life.

Couldn't care less about other people's taxes but do care about people abusing Visas & causing problems for the rest of us.

I'm a tourist when I visit Thailand, Live in Singapore so visit several times a year (I think my "Record" was 5 times in 4 weeks, but it used to take me just as long to commute to London 3 times a week) so when it starts taking almost as long to get through immigration as it does to fly there because they're clamping down on people living/working on Visa Exempt stamps then, yes I do care.

YMMV but don't be ignorant to the fact that you "causing no harm by living there on back-2-back VE/TVs" causes people like me problems.

Feel free to spit it out if reality leaves a bad taste in your mouth [emoji106]

14 hours ago, JB300 said:

Wow!!! What's left of the thread is proper childish behaviour (surprised the mods didn't just delete it) but not knowing the background (or being privy to the 5 pages that got deleted) I'll say no more.

I'm hoping for a Mark Twain style response here... but I thought I'd read recently that Neverdie had, well, died!

If so RIP fella, I've been on threads with him before & none have been like the one above so hoping (Q M.T.) that the reports were greatly exaggerated.

PM sent. Enjoy. 

PS. Did you work out my little quiz at the end? I'm afraid to say I failed! If you can work it out, you're one up on me.

9 hours ago, finy said:

Chiang Mai is the digital nomad capital of the world because it's cheap, it's the only reason and the rest are merely benefits.

There are 4 types of digital nomads in Chiang Mai:

1 - Read the 4 Hour Work Week and headed to Thailand with $15K. Spends all their money on coffee, coworking spaces, and pretends to be an entrepreneur until they go home with their tale between their legs. Roughly 30%

2 - Makes enough to get by in CM, but has a lot of fun. Roughly 30%

3 - Makes enough to get by. Will eventually build business up to respectable income. Roughly 30%

4 - Make good money: 5kpm to 100kpm+. Roughly 10%

Most real entrepreneurs come and go, Chiang Mai is a place for the poor. Trust me, I know.

Great post.

I figured already that a lot of these youngsters are "trust fund darlings" who rock up in Siam loaded with daddy's cash. These misfits have zero talent and will never achieve a thing. Some of them stay here and end up with houses with views. Say no more.

As for the rest -- good luck to them. Live and let live. I have nothing but complete and absolute respect for youngsters who want to travel the world and experience life.

RE: All this talk about correct visas and tax makes me throw up in my mouth.

I hear you. I really do. My son is 12 (he's half-English / half-Thai) and very soon will be old enough to bum around the world and do what other youngsters do.

It really does sicken me to see old farts talk <deleted> about visas and taxes.     

6 hours ago, JB300 said:

Couldn't care less about other people's taxes but do care about people abusing Visas & causing problems for the rest of us.

I'm a tourist when I visit Thailand, Live in Singapore so visit several times a year (I think my "Record" was 5 times in 4 weeks, but it used to take me just as long to commute to London 3 times a week) so when it starts taking almost as long to get through immigration as it does to fly there because they're clamping down on people living/working on Visa Exempt stamps then, yes I do care.

YMMV but don't be ignorant to the fact that you "causing no harm by living there on back-2-back VE/TVs" causes people like me problems.

Feel free to spit it out if reality leaves a bad taste in your mouth emoji106.png

Please tell us more about your difficulties entering Thailand through airports?

You do know 90% of people use land crossings, right?

Maybe there are just more tourists, your math is complete BS. If there was 10,000 digital nomads using your airport (which there aren't) and they all had to leave every 90 days with multiple flights per day, it could never add anywhere near 90-120 minutes to immigration queues.

dont exaggerate, it destroys everything else you say. And don't worry about visas when you don't even live here.

Why would I have a bad taste in my mouth? I don't get it, I'm living the dream.

3 hours ago, Fabricus said:

Great post.

I figured already that a lot of these youngsters are "trust fund darlings" who rock up in Siam loaded with daddy's cash. These misfits have zero talent and will never achieve a thing. Some of them stay here and end up with houses with views. Say no more.

As for the rest -- good luck to them. Live and let live. I have nothing but complete and absolute respect for youngsters who want to travel the world and experience life.

RE: All this talk about correct visas and tax makes me throw up in my mouth.

I hear you. I really do. My son is 12 (he's half-English / half-Thai) and very soon will be old enough to bum around the world and do what other youngsters do.

It really does sicken me to see old farts talk <deleted> about visas and taxes.     

When your son is older I hope he can hop around the world working from a laptop if he craves adventure.

43 minutes ago, finy said:

When your son is older I hope he can hop around the world working from a laptop if he craves adventure.

When his son or anyone else's kid is older I hope, if they crave adventure, they can hop around the world without having to have their head stuck for hours  per day in a laptop.

Please tell us more about your difficulties entering Thailand through airports?

You do know 90% of people use land crossings, right?

Maybe there are just more tourists, your math is complete BS. If there was 10,000 digital nomads using your airport (which there aren't) and they all had to leave every 90 days with multiple flights per day, it could never add anywhere near 90-120 minutes to immigration queues.

dont exaggerate, it destroys everything else you say. And don't worry about visas when you don't even live here.

Why would I have a bad taste in my mouth? I don't get it, I'm living the dream.

Please show me the stats that say 90% of visitors to Thailand use land crossings (& you accuse me of having BS maths!) and I do hope we're not going to be reading about you being denied your 3rd entry via a land border (Errrm, I take it you do know that Thailand has recently brought in a new regulation on this don't you... 2 entries via land border in any one year... Now why do you think they did that?).

[i'll type this slowly so you can follow along] Immigration tightens up rules = more time to process each person = same number of people takes longer irrespective of what basis they're passing through on.

Hey & if that vomit you said that you had in your mouth tastes good, wolf it down fella [emoji106]

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

When his son or anyone else's kid is older I hope, if they crave adventure, they can hop around the world without having to have their head stuck for hours  per day in a laptop.

How are they supposed to earn money?

Traveling the world for a year counts as a weekend break these days.

On 13/01/2017 at 0:28 PM, Fabricus said:

This is the thread:

Five pages of "off-topic bickering" were subsequently removed by moderator Metisdead, but it was here that the Boiler Room Criminal gave himself away. 

Prior to this I had become aware of the Criminal. I set up five or six accounts in an attempt to trap him, but to no avail. It was YeahSiam who got him.

One comment made by the  Criminal stood out -- I've discussed this comment with police and lawyers, and they all agree it was the perfect giveaway.

Later this evening (I have to out soon) I'll PM you and YeahSiam with details. 

Most hilarious is your fantasy nonsense and calling innocent people's workplaces to discredit them based on your deranged ramblings.

Actually its not funny.

Then when shown we know who you are you ran away.

That's the truth of this ridiculous nonsense.

1 hour ago, JB300 said:

Please show me the stats that say 90% of visitors to Thailand use land crossings (& you accuse me of having BS maths!) and I do hope we're not going to be reading about you being denied your 3rd entry via a land border (Errrm, I take it you do know that Thailand has recently brought in a new regulation on this don't you... 2 entries via land border in any one year... Now why do you think they did that?).

[i'll type this slowly so you can follow along] Immigration tightens up rules = more time to process each person = same number of people takes longer irrespective of what basis they're passing through on.

Hey & if that vomit you said that you had in your mouth tastes good, wolf it down fella emoji106.png

Let's put it this way: almost everyone up north goes to Laos and down south go to Penang.

They don't fly because they don't have the money to waste.

going by your logic, your against more visitors coming to Thailand because you have to stand 5 minutes longer in a queue.

Im sorry, I just don't get the vomit reference.

About maybe not just working online with a laptop, maybe they have acquired some skill set by the time they choose to travel  that allows them to get more involved with the local population and be paid or at least expenses covered.

Edited by JLCrab

3 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

About maybe not just working online with a laptop, maybe they have acquired some skill set by the time they choose to travel  that allows them to get more involved with the local population and be paid or at least expenses covered.

It's called bar work/ handing out leaflets and can be seen on the islands all the time.

Laptop or not, does it really matter? US pay means working half a day maximum.