Isaan - Northeastern Thailand one of 17 CNN’s top tourist destinations in 2017

webfact

Northeastern Thailand one of 17 CNN’s top tourist destinations in 2017

757_CNN.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand’s northeastern region or Isaan has been listed as one of the 17 CNN’s best places to visit in 2017.

Topping the list is Prince Edward Island in Canada for the island’s rocky red shores and picturesque fishing villages. But the best way to explore the island’s capital Charlottetown is on foot.

Penang island in Malaysia came second on the list which boasts one of Asia’s best street food destinations. It offers a mix of traditional Malay, Chinese and Indian dishes as well as fusion cuisines as Baba Nyonya, or Peranakan, which incorporates regional ingredients and Chinese and Malay cooking methods.

Issan ranks No 6 on the list. CNN described as follows: “Those looking for a piece of Thailand that is still largely unexplored by the international market should head for the northeastern region.

This vast section of Thailand is equipped with excellent infrastructure that includes several domestic airports and a range of upmarket hotels. You know that sticky rice and payaya salad that’s all the rage in trendy New York restaurants? Here’s where it comes from. Along with plenty of other fantastic dishes that are among the country’s best – provided you can handle a big of spice.

It’s impossible to see it all in one visit so you’ll have to pick and choose.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/northeastern-thailand-one-17-cnns-top-tourist-destinations-2017/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-11

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hells teeth why tell the tourist hordes about Issan?
I love living here because there are very few tourists,
Beautiful place to live and a lot cheaper living than other areas of Thailand,

So, better paying jobs for your neighbours, an improved infrastructure and an overall development for one of Thailands poorest regions does not mater, unless you can drink your Chang "in peace"?!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

8 minutes ago, DM07 said:

So, better paying jobs for your neighbours, an improved infrastructure and an overall development for one of Thailands poorest regions does not mater, unless you can drink your Chang "in peace"?!

First point i do not drink.

Second point look what the tourist hordes have done to other areas, destroyed them.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

You know that sticky rice and payaya salad that’s all the rage in trendy New York restaurants? Here’s where it comes from

I only know sticky rice mango desert with sweet coconutcream, is that what they mean?

Edited by fruitman

It's unexplored because there's very little to explore, unless you love rice paddies, local "cafes" with karaoke and laukhao and like to travel with a Kubota pulled cart. That said, the majority of eligible totty does come from there.

2 hours ago, DM07 said:

The only people getting better of hordes of tourists are a few rich cats.

The not so rich and the poor are only getting higher prices for everything and a few not so well paid jobs.

So not advertising Isan might be a good idea.

3 hours ago, DM07 said:

Then create a functioning industrial/commercial infrastructure that isn't focused on Bangkok.

Not one that invites "locusts".

Edited by Enoon

5 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Then create a functioning industrial/commercial infrastructure that isn't focused on Bangkok.

Not one that invites "locusts".

Yeah...I am all for that!

But to say, there will not be new (and probably better paying) jobs available, if the tourism industry is strengthened...that is weird!

90% of foreigners living in Isaan are absolute Lunatics, after 9 years of coming to Isaan , I now realize , why they are up there , they don't belong in society, tin foil hat candidates, alcoholics, the paranoid, I'm done, I like Isaan but the more you meet people up there, the more disappointed you become, with foreigners up here.jmho :passifier:

2 hours ago, hansnl said:

The only people getting better of hordes of tourists are a few rich cats.

The not so rich and the poor are only getting higher prices for everything and a few not so well paid jobs.

So not advertising Isan might be a good idea.

It will save the daughters a long bustrip to Pattaya. And finally their mums would see them doing their act and make pictures for her facebook, she would be very proud...No more need to travel to Pattaya to work in the 711.

28 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Oh i see, they like somtum with sticky rice in NY.  Guess they eat the pet nit noi version of it or it will be very spicy.

Yes i hope more New Yorkers go to Isan for their holidays, also i hope the sticky rice glues their lips together so they can't complain about anything. It's really lovely there and so many things to do for tourists. They can sunbath everywhere and drink real local made whisky all day long.

18 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

90% of foreigners living in Isaan are absolute Lunatics, after 9 years of coming to Isaan , I now realize , why they are up there , they don't belong in society, tin foil hat candidates, alcoholics, the paranoid, I'm done, I like Isaan but the more you meet people up there, the more disappointed you become, with foreigners up here.jmho :passifier:

Isaan is a very large geographical area and unless you have spent your 9 years living all over this vast region, your experience is just another unrealistic and sweeping generalization.

Unless you are talking about Nongbua Lamphu.

Edited by NanLaew

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Isaan is a very large geographical area and unless you have spent your 9 years living all over this vast region, your experience is just another unrealistic and sweeping generalization.

Unless you are talking about Nongbua Lamphu.

Udon, Nong Khai, Seka, Korat , Buriram, whatever...How many decent people have you met up there and they disappointed the hell out of you

Edited by Ireland32

Curious--i like nature and peace and quiet, but dont want to be limited

to noodles and rice daily--and also  access to decent wifi-housing....

So where would your pick be to for the cheapest living in Thailand?

I liked ayutthaya--khon kaen--nong khai...am i missing others?