Refugees in Greece and Serbia forced to endure sub-zero temperatures

webfact

I think that we can all agree that the EU wasn't prepared for the mass influx of migrants descending into the continent.

Yes Merkel was partially responsible for this along with other liberal politicians holding positions within the EU.

The first response to this was Brexit. Whether that was the correct decision remains to be seen.

Le Pen and right of centre politicians have gained popular opinion in France.

Merkel? Well let's just see what happens. What's your guess?

If UK, France & Germany being the 3 major powerhouses of Europe all decide to leave the EU then that will disintegrate the union. UK struck first, France & Germany to follow.

I also can understand Greece & other lowland nations wishing to remain and grab as much money from the EU as possible but with the massive barriers facing these countries with uncontrolled migration from Africa & Middle East sweeping across these countries, who is going to support them if the big 3 leave?

After over 40 years of unity and integration within Europe and continual efforts by independent but strong nations to join the elite, it will be a shame that uncontrolled immigration policies imposed upon all European countries by a select few will result in the break up of the EU.

My prediction to be that the EU will be disbanded, not because of disagreement between nations but because of popular opinion duly caused by immigration from North Africa & the Middle East.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as a point of clarification for the readers who don't seem to get much further than looking at the picture, when you see a long queue, the people are usually lined up for some sort of service.   This can be humanitarian relief supplies, registration forms or whatever.   Many times only 1 person from each family will be present (and sometimes only 1 is allowed).    In some situations this would be the heads of household and these are usually the males.  

The number of males in almost all refugee crisis is preceded by males with females leaving later, or if they leave together,  an older male member of the family will proceed ahead of the rest of the family.  

14 hours ago, simple1 said:

Well we differ in opinion as one of the major challenges for the EU is the volume of economic migrants (claiming asylum seekers status) into the EU who originate from the Balkans, is often referenced as an ongoing major problem in the EU. With regards to those of the 'right'. personally I consider their politics far more dangerous to the future stability of the EU than other political groups, as has been called out by a number of Western security agencies.

You could have easily located other stats on asylum seekers, such as originating countries, but never mind I have provided another example of official info below.

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Asylum_statistics

Of course a better managed inflow of asylum seekers would have contributed to a possibly better acceptance rate, there again as demonstrated on this forum over the years many just simply loath Muslims in general. Merkel made a strategic error with her 'invitation', but there are also numerous  other factors contributing to the current mess.

Referencing the surge of right wing politics without addressing that it is, at least in part, a reaction to left wing policies and ideology is, IMO, the sort of thinking which leads to post-elections "how-did-this-happen?!" scenarios. The EU's survival is not solely dependent on the political orientation of individual member's governments.

I could probably located a a whole lot of related statistics and figures, but most of what I'm talking about got more to do with how things are perceived by the public. IMO, the exact terminology, legalities and processes relevant to the issue do not register with many people, because they are irrelevant to their experience and fears, but also because they are communicated by governments and agencies which seem out of touch.

It's all very well to say that about half of the applications are rejected, but as the process is lengthy and as rejects aren't necessarily going back to wherever they came from, it might create a different image for most people.

We'll have to remain disagreed about the role pace played in this. Islamophobia is a factor, but perhaps wouldn't have been that easy to stoke under different conditions.

12 hours ago, Scott said:

Just as a point of clarification for the readers who don't seem to get much further than looking at the picture, when you see a long queue, the people are usually lined up for some sort of service.   This can be humanitarian relief supplies, registration forms or whatever.   Many times only 1 person from each family will be present (and sometimes only 1 is allowed).    In some situations this would be the heads of household and these are usually the males.  

The number of males in almost all refugee crisis is preceded by males with females leaving later, or if they leave together,  an older male member of the family will proceed ahead of the rest of the family.  

I think the point is that most people in general do not go beyond images and labels. There are, of course, explanations - but from a PR point of view, what people see are mostly foreign men, coupled with reports detailing estimated figures. It tends to form an impression that all/most arrivals are similar. Should have been managed better.

On 12/01/2017 at 7:43 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

You appear to be talking about people seeking a better life by paying vile people traffickers to take them to rich countries in expectation of jobs etc.

The OP is about refugees, and your post is off topic.

BTW Saudi Arabia is not in a similar situation and is very rich. It is also culturally similar. Why do they not go there? 

Because Saudi Arabia is not filled with young White Women.

A factor that is never recognised about these young muslim males.

4 hours ago, Morch said:

I think the point is that most people in general do not go beyond images and labels. There are, of course, explanations - but from a PR point of view, what people see are mostly foreign men, coupled with reports detailing estimated figures. It tends to form an impression that all/most arrivals are similar. Should have been managed better.

True.   And what I see is a group of people standing in freezing conditions.

18 minutes ago, Scott said:

True.   And what I see is a group of people standing in freezing conditions.

Ignoring the context is all very fine, but it's still there. If it was just the picture, it wouldn't be much of news item. That's not a moral judgement, just a fact.