Hotel required in central area

YorkshireTyke

Good day residents and visitors

I've done a quick search but can't immediately see what I am looking for.

Up from Hua HIn for 5 days with the g/f for Chinese New Year and her to visit temples so looking for a hotel close to the attractions, night market/bazaar etc.

Looking to pay 1,000-1,500 per night, any suggestions please ? Yes, I've looked at Booking.com but as I'm not familiar with the area I want to tap into the local know how.

Also I was there for Chinese NY in 2003, my first visit and I remember it was packed with a great display and dancing/parade on the evening, where would that be this year and presumably it's Saturday 28th ? I arrive Friday 27th.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Thanks Lizard but I am really looking for hotel names, places residents used in the past or recommend to their friends.

I stopped using Agoda years ago as Booking.com is miles better. Agoda doesn't show full price and preciously always had to pay in advance, not at the hotel etc

No one got any names?  100-2000 per night ?

Ey up;

A shunt worry a bart finning owt ont' doorstep tha' nos because Chiang mai accommoodation  weer ever it is, is obbut a stones throw from owt worth seeing.

reet lad tha cant keep this up........

The thing about Chiang mai  and the Chinese new year is that its everywhere and no where in particular. there will be activities going on around Thapae Gate, and down on the river; the warorot market generally is set up for a week so really it doesnt matter where you are.

In my experience anything 3 star or above is actually very nice, I wouldnt go lower unless tha's short of brass.

There really are so many hotels now, I reckoned the number has at least doubled in the last 3 years so they will never be full even at this time.

High season hotels should be 80% full at this time but my connections are tellling me its more like 40% which is about what I would expect....so your pricing range could notch you up if some places are desperate.

As others have said, read the booking.com/agoda usual places and read reviews by travellers; most people writing on this forum live here and likely not to be in a hotel so tourists are the best people to get an opinion from.

The Montri is very noisy on the road side.

Your best bet is the DuangTawan. Look on Agoda for the rates you want.

It is just up Loi Kroh from the Night Bazaar so very convenient for that area.

And with Uber you are <Bt80 from the other side of town (i.e. Nimman).

I stay there regularly and it ticks all the boxes (although I never eat in the hotel so I can't vouch for the food; having said that the restaurants always seem to get customers).

Added:

Scratch that unless you want a Bt4800 p.n. Suite, that's all they have.

Best search Agoda, Booking.com, Trivago, etc.

Edited by Chicog

I recommend two places:

1. I've stayed at Tapae Place Hotel, it's location is central and within walking distance to all the interesting sites including warorot market and night bazaar. It's also inexpensive with free breakfast. Those taxis can be expensive in Chiang Mai as they don't want to use the meter.

2. Another place is CH Hotel, it's right at the Night Bazaar Anusarn Market. But they could have raised the room rate. 

Try tripadvisor for the reviews.

Since you are wanting to do the tourist thing I would recommend staying inside the moat area... if your into partying/drinking stay in the night bazzaar/Loy Kroh road area...

My pick would be Sabaidee Hotel inside the moat... it is on a nice quiet street and Sam the guy how owns this is great at setting up day trips and such... he can have scooters delivered too...

Go to their website and the prices are lower than it you book on Booking.com/Agoda

Oh and upgrade to the balcony room for an extra 100 baht ;-)

Edited by sfokevin

Thanks All for the suggestions

A few of the above are fully booked for my dates, 27/1 - 1/2 and others too expensive, eg CH 2,900 per night.

Sabaidee looks OK but no bfast. Hotel M fully booked. Pagoda looks OK and cheaper than the ones I've booked but no balcony, kettle etc.

A friend told me the same as Eyecatcher that if you stay around Chang Khlan everything is in walking distance. Again quite a lot in that area fully booked but I have provisionally reserved two : People Place 1 and 9W boutique which is a quirky place but maybe too far away ?

I don't look at the star rating but use the reviews on Booking.com and filter reviews of 7 and above. These reviews are usually accurate as unlike Tripadvisor you have to actually stay in the hotel to post a review, Booking.com then send you a questionnaire on your stay. I also try to get a room with bfast, balcony, kettle and room safe but not essential, just a preference. I like to relax on the balcony with a book or people watch and a coffee before dinner.

Lizard, Booking.com do not add anything on later and Agoda do not show the full price when you are browsing a selection , you have to start the booking process before they add on the 10+7%. However, each to their own, I now prefer Booking.com.