Raw Chilies Vs Som Tam

Eastender

I can put maybe 5 raw chilies onto my food, (in the form of prik nam plaa), and be able to eat it easily. But I have trouble in eating Som Tam ordered with 5 chillies. (Yes I know this isn't particularly spicey and I have friends who order it with 20 chillies).

But why should the effective spiciness between prik nam plaa and somtam be so different?

I believe the same chili is used or each, and in neither case is it cooked.

Thanks.

Thats a good question !! Maybe its something to do withthe way the chillis are bashed to a pulp so that the seeds and everything mixes with everything else.

It is weird that sometimes I can eat spicy stuff with little problem but at other times it burns the crap out of either my lips ...... or if that does not occur, then I get a ring of fire the next day !! :o:D:D

yes its definately the bashing factor.

chilies just cut up wont burn so much unless you actually chew on one.

a good thing to note is that when you next challange your mates to see whos the toughest.

suggest a chillie eating contest.

but rmember not to chew,just swallow whole and then pretend to chew.

your mates will be amazed at you toughness.

although you wont be so tough the following morning on the throne

yeah 'ring of fire' is a Johnny Cash song........ Some years ago it was also the name of an Indian restaurant in Perth Western Australia !! Say no more !!!

and the family of johnny cash are now taking the makers of haemorrhoid medication (preparation.h i think) to court because they used the song in one of their tv ads.

yeah 'ring of fire' is a Johnny Cash song........ Some years ago it was also the name of an Indian restaurant in Perth Western Australia !! Say no more !!!

and the family of johnny cash are now taking the makers of haemorrhoid medication (preparation.h i think) to court because they used the song in one of their tv ads.

Haven't heard this but funny stuff indeed.

johnny cash and preparation 'H'?...hardly an amusing subject for patriotic Americans as he is(was) an American music icon and a national treasure.

No wonder dumbsh1t redneck posters on this forum can't get their facts straight...

Haven't heard this but funny stuff indeed.

"Come on ice cream!" Spoken by that Acadamy Award winning actor, Cheech Martin :o

yes its definately the bashing factor.

chilies just cut up wont burn so much unless you actually chew on one.

a good thing to note is that when you next challange your mates to see whos the toughest.

suggest a chillie eating contest.

but rmember not to chew,just swallow whole and then pretend to chew.

your mates will be amazed at you toughness.

although you wont be so tough the following morning on the throne

my ears were burning, was my name mentioned?

I did som tam today so it will be my ring burning tomorrow, weird how you can build up the resistance to the oral burn but never the rectal burn...

Come on Ice cream!! :o

Bash