Three months on Thais still feel the pain of their loss

Inspire

Three months on Thais still feel the pain of their loss

Gerry Carter

loss-main.jpeg

Three months on from the death of Thailand’s beloved King Bhumibol Adulyadej Thais are still feeling the loss.

It may not be as acute as the feelings displayed back in October when news of His Majesty’s passing was announced but if residents of a northern Bangkok suburb are anything to go by, it is still in the daily thoughts of most of the Thai people.

A walk around the Ratchayothin area reveals a very different place, look and feel to a year ago. Perhaps 80 to 90 per cent of the population going about their business are still dressed in black, many in all black outfits. Young and old – there are few exceptions. Even motor cycle taxi drivers are wearing black under their bright orange or pink jackets.

While a year’s somber dress was requested for people like teachers, civil servants and TV presenters, the rest of the people were only asked to wear black for a month. But few are bucking the trend. Those not in black are mostly dressed in white or dark clothing – any bright colors are a rarity.

Street side clothes’ stalls in the area are still selling almost exclusively black items. Vendor Somsri Saikaew, 43, said: “I keep a few items in other colors just in case. But really there is no market for anything but black. The people are still in mourning and I guess it will go on for a year”.

Asked for her personal feelings by a Thaivisa reporter she said: “When I first heard the news I could hardly believe it. I cried for several days. Some time has passed now but when I am reminded of it I still get teary eyed. It is still painful to think about it because he meant so much to us”.

Area resident Somsak Phanthong, who was dressed all in black, noted: “It is a mark of respect and I think I shall only go out in black until after the cremation ceremony. It wouldn’t feel right to dress in normal clothes, not for me at least”.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/three-months-thais-still-feel-pain-loss/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2017-01-14