Carabao Concert?

highonthai

Heard a rumor that carabao is playing in CM tonight. Anyone heard where and what time?

Thanks

I thought the sign said the 11th, but I could be wrong. They're playing at the big berr hall / concert venue that faces the klong road with the huge parking lot across from CMU vet hospital

Heard a rumor that carabao is playing in CM tonight. Anyone heard where and what time?

Thanks

I thought the sign said the 11th, but I could be wrong. They're playing at the big berr hall / concert venue that faces the klong road with the huge parking lot across from CMU vet hospital

I think it is tomorrow night as well. In Tawan Deng - you can all or go and book a table - don't fancy your chances at this late date though...

I saw him sing a few ditties at the Imperial Mae Ping the other night for the bike thing, left after 2 songs though.

The singer you mentioned is one of the look alike, my missus mistaken him as real carabao and can't figure out which one is real and fake as both of them have the same acting and singing styles. :o

Edited by Thaising

Not really germane to the topic under discussion, but personally I lost respect for Ad when he started doing the Beer Chang commercials. As if that weren't enough of a sell-out, he did the Thai Rak Thai promos. He can crank out those commercial anthems, steeped in fake emotion, pretty effortlessly. And later I found out that he copied the music for some of his most famous songs from Filipino rock classics (he spent time in the Philippines, and that's how he chose the name Carabao). I'm not saying that the early songs aren't any good--I still like them--just that Ad himself has turned out to be a hack. Maybe the bandanna went to his head.

Not really germane to the topic under discussion, but personally I lost respect for Ad when he started doing the Beer Chang commercials. As if that weren't enough of a sell-out, he did the Thai Rak Thai promos. He can crank out those commercial anthems, steeped in fake emotion, pretty effortlessly. And later I found out that he copied the music for some of his most famous songs from Filipino rock classics (he spent time in the Philippines, and that's how he chose the name Carabao). I'm not saying that the early songs aren't any good--I still like them--just that Ad himself has turned out to be a hack. Maybe the bandanna went to his head.

It's lucky that Lennon got himself killed before he had a chance to "sell out". :o

I couldn't agree more. He also stole from Santana.

Wen to a concert a few years ago (at Airport Plaza). Before the concert we had to listen to Beer Chang commercials for 20 minutes, then between each song Ad (That's a predestined name) reminded us not to forget to drink Beer Chang. Then in the middle of the concert a guy was lynched by a dozen people just in front of the stage and Ad and his clique pretended not to see anything (I hope the poor guy wasn't killed). I left the venue and swore I would never go back to a Carabao concert.

I went and had a great time.

As for Ad being a cop-out, its hardly surprising. Why should he be any different to any other pop star. I don't like it, but thats the way it is: when your promoting a beer, you gotta drink it, and well, promote it. An ex once said to me she didn't like him because he sings about buying thai goods (made in thailand - which he did sing), but yet being a huge harley enthusiast. He's rant against the ban on cock fighting at the height of bird-flu was just a tad rediculous.

Still great entertainment. He got right stuck into Thaksin. Asked permission first, this beign T's home town. Crowd cheered. So he let loose, saying the <deleted> was un-Thai and that everyone should do everything possible to make sure he never returns.,

As for Ad being a cop-out, its hardly surprising. Why should he be any different to any other pop star. I don't like it, but thats the way it is: when your promoting a beer, you gotta drink it, and well, promote it.

But then you don't claim to be a rebel (as he did for many years) when you are just a sales agent.

Edited by adjan jb

I went and had a great time.

As for Ad being a cop-out, its hardly surprising. Why should he be any different to any other pop star. I don't like it, but thats the way it is: when your promoting a beer, you gotta drink it, and well, promote it. An ex once said to me she didn't like him because he sings about buying thai goods (made in thailand - which he did sing), but yet being a huge harley enthusiast. He's rant against the ban on cock fighting at the height of bird-flu was just a tad rediculous.

Still great entertainment. He got right stuck into Thaksin. Asked permission first, this beign T's home town. Crowd cheered. So he let loose, saying the <deleted> was un-Thai and that everyone should do everything possible to make sure he never returns.,

I understand what you are saying. In general, society expects far too much of its politicians and rock stars, who almost always disappoint in the end.

It's just that Ad spent so many years singing songs about the abuse of power by greedy leaders and businesses, and about the erosive effects of consumerism on Thai culture, that his full frontal embrace of TRT and Chang look especially bad.

Anyway, it's no skin off my nose. He's no no more dishonest than anyone else, just a bit more audacious--maybe that's what society expects of its rock stars and politicians. :o

But then you don't claim to be a rebel (as he did for many years) when you are just a sales agent.

To be fair to the man, he has never really tried to hide anything about himself. Even in their early days Carabao were doing Coke ads, so it's not like they suddenly sold out later on in their careers. And he really did fight the causes and the band did play concerts with bullets flying around - whatever your take on his motivation.

There are a lot of contradictions around Carabao and especially Ad. A lot of 'facts' about Ad Carabao come from sources you would question in your own country. It's very interesting to go back and read old interviews with him over the years because most of the questions were asked and he generally gives very open answers. In his autobiography, the thought of making his millions is there right from the beginning.

Also, he didn't just come up with ditties for TRT but, after many years of turning down offers from political parties, he decided that he would take the baht from any that paid. So you can hear him singing songs for 4 or 5 different parties, nothing to do with supporting their politics.

Edited by Tarragona

It's just that Ad spent so many years singing songs about the abuse of power by greedy leaders and businesses, and about the erosive effects of consumerism on Thai culture, that his full frontal embrace of TRT and Chang look especially bad.

I think you have to separate work from art. While it's true he may have written jingles for TRT, I think "full frontal embrace" isn't accurate. The last Carabao album before the coup (not counting the one with the girl) ripped Thaksin and TRT to shreds. It wasn't subtle at all, which e generally tries to be.

As for Chang, the last 2 concerts I attended, Ad bequeathed 200,000 Baht to worthy charities (on behalf of Chang).

Additionally the band does A WHOLE LOT of benefit concerts, including the wat fair in my village.

Why are Carabao concerts so notourious for fighting?

My wife will not entertain going - and we live right across the road from Tawan Deng! Easily staggering distance!

I've been to see them 5 times and haven't seen a fight yet, but some of the elements are definitely there. Often times your ticket price will include a bottle of whisky, and if you don't have good seats (unblocked) someone in front of you usually stands up blocking your view of the whole show. It's not a terribly sophisticated crowd, but it is enjoyable for me anyway.