Plenty Of Water All-the-year,what To Grow In Ne Isaan?

bgs

Good day,

we, my thai common law wife and i own quite a few rais of lakeside land

and i myself cannot see this idle.

What is the members advice to make the most of it ?

Allow me this pls :

You surprise me with a good idea,

i surprise you with a adequate reward ...

Thanks, have a good time,

bgs

If you want to decide what to grow you must first decide why you want to grow it.

Chownah

Yes, there will be a nice garden surrounding the house

and the major, sure, should generate some income for the family :o

And this is my point,

thank you,

bgs

Do you want to provide work for the family members or just give them the money after you do the work? Do you want to manage the operation or do you want them to manage it?

Chownah

Thanks again for guiding me,

- the initial planting they must do together with outside workers

( appx 15 rai )

- the ongoing management is up to them with outside helpers

( as my be necessary, btw no rice pls )

- i would like to overwiew all this from my second floor sala :o

My respects,

bgs

It sounds like you want them to run the enterprise since you want them to do the initial planting and the ongoing management. In this case it is probably best to let them decide what to plant. If you decide what to plant and they don't like the idea then you are setting yourself up for losing face as YOUR ideas will be seen as BAD ones. Any failure will be because of YOU. Let them decide what to grow and any failures will still probably not be acknowledged by their rightful owners but at least they can't be blamed on you.

My experience is that Thai farmers are good at doing the (usually) very narrow range of things they know how to do and they are very reluctant to learn new things. If you influence them to try something new and then expect them to either learn on their own or learn from one simple explanation then I think you are riding for a fall.

Chownah

My experience is that Thai farmers are good at doing the (usually) very narrow range of things they know how to do and they are very reluctant to learn new things. If you influence them to try something new and then expect them to either learn on their own or learn from one simple explanation then I think you are riding for a fall.

Chownah

Just to echo these thoughts to teach Thai farmers to grow some thing new is more than your sanity is worth, suggest improving the methods by all means like using the right fertiliser or an automatic watering system instead of doing it all by hand and missing sections fine, but learning to look after a new crop rather you than me and that's after living in a farming community for the last five years here in Thailand

post-21154-1166360049_thumb.jpg