Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Bar or Restaurant staff salary, how much do they get ? Any REAL example ? Less than 10000 ?

BsBs

7 hours ago, BsBs said:

What kind of overtime to double her salary...

:-)

simple:

working 12h every day instead of 9h and if her boss allows she works 7-7. And overtime payes better: between 50 and 100 bht/hour.

I also did it in 2015. Worked 3 months 12h but not 7/7 (25, 23 and 27days). Very nice pay checks those months :D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three years ago, I knew a bar girl who worked in Nana. She got a salary of 7,000 a month, if she worked each day assigned. Absent days meant a fine against her salary.  Obviously, she also made money on drinks and customers. My friend pays his restaurant staff 10,000 a month for the server (Thai food, very basic place). Cook makes 18,000 a month (had so many problems with changing staff that he "overpays" the cook).  Outside of BBK, I know a server who has a salary of 15,000 for a 40 hour week. I have no idea of "benefits" that come with jobs, such as free room, etc...

I am on good terms with 2 restaurant owners in Chiang Mai. Both start new Waiting staff, Male of Female on B8,000 for first probationary month.

Then wage goes up to approx B12 K. 6 day week and one kicks in 1 meal a day 9 hr day the other 2 meals/day 12 hours.

One pays out a share of tips weekly the other collects all tips and several times a year has a Staff party all paid for from Tip fund, big pile of empty beer bottles following day.

Both have mainly satisfied staff apart from the eternal Thai habit of 'Something/Anything' upsets them and bye bye they are gone, often leaving the coming months wage.

john

17 hours ago, ericthai said:

Glad they are doing good.  i think they might have made the mistake allot of expats make and start out paying too much in the first place.

I almost did the same when i first started my company, but a few Thai friends of mine that owned companies helped me set pay rates and find good employees. A thai sees an expat and they want big dollars to do nothing.

My one friend's wife used to work for hutch when they were in Thailand. She was Assistant Vice president of Thailand operations and she was only making 45K a month. That was back in 2003 or so. This is a top job in the company. I know plant managers that have master degrees and they have 100+ workers and only make 60K a month. 

I have a Thai female friend who was Group Director or Sales for a well known Thai company here from 2010 - 2012.    She was 35 and and earning 200,000 THB+.   Not sure what she earns now but would expect it to be similar.

60K for a plant manager in a Thai business, even managing 100+ workers sounds about right.

Nothing wrong with paying big salaries to attract the best people.   If I have someone doing sales or online marketing that is bringing in business then you can bet I'll reward them well, even paying them more than I pay myself.

1 minute ago, seancbk said:

I have a Thai female friend who was Group Director or Sales for a well known Thai company here from 2010 - 2012.    She was 35 and and earning 200,000 THB+.   Not sure what she earns now but would expect it to be similar.

60K for a plant manager in a Thai business, even managing 100+ workers sounds about right.

Nothing wrong with paying big salaries to attract the best people.   If I have someone doing sales or online marketing that is bringing in business then you can bet I'll reward them well, even paying them more than I pay myself.

My friends a director at a recruitment firm in bkk . Let's just put it this way he is never out of business ! If you get decent staff in Thailand you keep them as they are few and far between . 

3 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

My friends a director at a recruitment firm in bkk . Let's just put it this way he is never out of business ! If you get decent staff in Thailand you keep them as they are few and far between . 

I have a farang friend who has had a recruitment company in Bangkok for maybe 20 years.   His sales staff earn basic salary of 30-50K and commission on placements.  Some of them do very well.

Recruitment is a damn good business.   

3 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I have a farang friend who has had a recruitment company in Bangkok for maybe 20 years.   His sales staff earn basic salary of 30-50K and commission on placements.  Some of them do very well.

Recruitment is a damn good business.   

Absolutely . He offered my wife 50 k a month + commission . Sadly my wife does not want to live in thailand full time . 

11 hours ago, mogandave said:

Do they speak English?

What type of product?

Limited English, Several different factories in Rayong, Eastern Sea Board, Saricha they manufacture Chemicals, Wire, valves, food stuff etc. I knew one guy from the USA that got transfered from the USA and making good money 100K+ USD per year. The company wanted him to move back to the USA after 2 years and he didn't want to go back. The best job he could find was managing a factory for only 60K THB a month, that was back around 2005 or so. He didn't care just wanted to be in Thailand. He has since found a US company to work for in Thailand that pays him better 150K THB a month, still nothing close to what he made in the USA, but he's happy.  

On 19/01/2017 at 5:01 PM, GreasyFingers said:

My girl worked in two different restaurants in Samui, both popular farang + thai food. 8000-9000 per month for six days, hours dependened on customers. Tips were on top of that if the boss did not keep part or all of them for themselves.

if the boss did not keep part or all of them for themselves.:thumbsup:

My dil worked at Samui airport four years in the end she made round 20 000฿.  

Last year a new boss came, then rapidly  changed everything due to "Bangkok airways  loosing too much money" she refused the new rules her salary would have been down to 10 000฿, an exemple of the new rules they even had to pay 100฿ monthly to park their motorbikes and no more tip, all kept by the manager.

She speaks enough English and little Chinese she found a new job immediatly in what "she thought" being a smart hotel in Shaweng ,150 rooms starting at 1500฿ , bungalow 4000฿, and private beach.

Salary 9 000฿ plus tip and % for 10 hours a day 6 days a week. Sometime starting at 5 in the morning.

The owner a Thai man have another hotel in KohTao sometime she had to spend a week in KohTao...

After one year she never have any promissed tip nor any % only her 9 000฿ monthly .This month cannot, next month no problem. She quitted this week. The owner saw her for the first time telling why are you leaving we need you too much LOL, please stay I'll give you a %... but  now she found a job in Bangkok.  

5 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

if the boss did not keep part or all of them for themselves.:thumbsup:

My dil worked at Samui airport four years in the end she made round 20 000฿.  

Last year a new boss came, then rapidly  changed everything due to "Bangkok airways  loosing too much money" she refused the new rules her salary would have been down to 10 000฿, an exemple of the new rules they even had to pay 100฿ monthly to park their motorbikes and no more tip, all kept by the manager.

She speaks enough English and little Chinese she found a new job immediatly in what "she thought" being a smart hotel in Shaweng ,150 rooms starting at 1500฿ , bungalow 4000฿, and private beach.

Salary 9 000฿ plus tip and % for 10 hours a day 6 days a week. Sometime starting at 5 in the morning.

The owner a Thai man have another hotel in KohTao sometime she had to spend a week in KohTao...

After one year she never have any promissed tip nor any % only her 9 000฿ monthly .This month cannot, next month no problem. She quitted this week. The owner saw her for the first time telling why are you leaving we need you too much LOL, please stay I'll give you a %... but  now she found a job in Bangkok.  

She should go to the later department and sue for 12 hours a week overtime for the year she worked there.

You will find wages range with the boss from what I have seen.  I know TESCO food court staff generally earn around 300 -380 per day with some being compensated more.

My wife asked the pizza place how much they pay and the young lad said he made 38B per hour.

What the food court people pay to Tesco would blow your mind! 

We have offered staff 400B a day for an 8 hour day and we cannot find staff.  A lot of staff it seems want to sit and play on there phone all day and if they are actually made to work they do not seem interested that is just an outsider looking in.

My brother in-law works on a farm with long days and he is compensated around 10,000B per month.

Edited by jmhogan