Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Bar or Restaurant staff salary, how much do they get ? Any REAL example ? Less than 10000 ?

BsBs

Hello

Do you know what is the average salary of restaurant or bar staff ?

Do you think that many people still work for less than 10000/month ?

Any real example ? Not just idea or repeating what someone who knows nothing told you ?

Thank you.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the ladies in our village l know who are waitresses or cooks, working for someone who owns or rents a restaurant are on 300 a day and hope for a good tip share.

They mostly work in two's or three's depending on the time of year.

My wife's cafe' she rents is among many others and some days she may only take a 100 baht a day and some days it can be 3000 baht swing and roundabouts.

In busy cities l would be sure it's a different situation.

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Most of the ladies in our village l know who are waitresses or cooks, working for someone who owns or rents a restaurant are on 300 a day and hope for a good tip share.

They mostly work in two's or three's depending on the time of year.

My wife's cafe' she rents is among many others and some days she may only take a 100 baht a day and some days it can be 3000 baht swing and roundabouts.

In busy cities l would be sure it's a different situation.

Yes I guess that 300 thb / day is the minimum anywhere in Thailand at any restaurant but many people do a lot more than 10000 thb/month

I think there will be big differences in location. My wife has a shop/bar serving Thai food and KFC type foods in our local town (south Buriram). She employs a girl paying her 350 baht/day, it is very rare anyone gives a tip. The only customer's are Thai, in a tourist area it may be more difficult to find people looking for a job so you may have to pay more.

8000 bht a  Mounth is the norm plus  tips ,

However there is a chance lady  meet a bald fat old farang , and he can take care 

Now she have  salary 15000 bht a mounth, off me

, and  farlang  good heart can  take care of her  son,s School fees .

And  ,  they all live happily ever after , except me . 555

Edited by elliss

My wife works as a waitress in the restaurant in our condo block in jomtien, 300 a day, 1 day off a week. Makes another 100-200 a day in tips, plus a couple of thousand a month commission on condo rentals and sales. (A little sideline for the restaurant staff). Also free food. I know the cook get 400 a day.

Its a 10 hour day, but lots of downtime between customers, playing on phone, eating etc.

300 a day, but usually some fringe benefits on top.

On 1/17/2017 at 6:15 PM, JESSVANPELT said:

9000 a month is the lowest legal wage

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Really , ???     Who  told you that . 

Try living in the  real world in LOS .

Edited by elliss

My partner earns 8000 a month plus tips and has one day off a week.  Tips are usually between 100 and 200 a day.  On top of that she eats twice a day for free at work 

On 1/17/2017 at 6:15 PM, JESSVANPELT said:

9000 a month is the lowest legal wage

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I always engage in small talk with any wait staff where I frequent. Most of the Thai owned business including Restaurants in our area of Samut Prakan refuse to employ Thais. Owners have told me this directly. They contend that the Thais are lazy when paid they will not show up for some days, and will steal money. Therefore many of these same owners have switched to Cambodian and Myanmar help. Unfortunately these same business owners pay below the minimum wage of 300THB/day. Staff have told me 6 to 8k/mo. And I can tell you they do work harder, show up on time every day, are rarely if ever sick, And will not steal money.

These business are car detail shops, petrol stations, nurseries, tire shops, restaurants driving ranges, etc, etc. This is not hearsay.

25 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

I always engage in small talk with any wait staff where I frequent. Most of the Thai owned business including Restaurants in our area of Samut Prakan refuse to employ Thais. Owners have told me this directly. They contend that the Thais are lazy when paid they will not show up for some days, and will steal money. Therefore many of these same owners have switched to Cambodian and Myanmar help. Unfortunately these same business owners pay below the minimum wage of 300THB/day. Staff have told me 6 to 8k/mo. And I can tell you they do work harder, show up on time every day, are rarely if ever sick, And will not steal money.

These business are car detail shops, petrol stations, nurseries, tire shops, restaurants driving ranges, etc, etc. This is not hearsay.

True, from personal experience.

Pay them monthly and see how many just don't come back. How many have days off "sick". It got so unpredictable that we staggered paydays, paying 1/3rd of them each on 10th, 20th and 30th of each month as otherwise you could lose 3 or 4 on payday.

Some of the restaurants on Walking Street actually do not pay any kind of a wage to the table waitress,s.

They have to rely purely on tips for some income.

There are also many other examples of this kind of exploitation of workers ( not just in the restaurant sector ), and is also widely used for delivery personnel ( EG 20 baht a delivery for the guy that unloads your ceramic floor tiles, and his driver gets 40 )

On 1/17/2017 at 8:23 PM, Peterw42 said:

My wife works as a waitress in the restaurant in our condo block in jomtien, 300 a day, 1 day off a week. Makes another 100-200 a day in tips, plus a couple of thousand a month commission on condo rentals and sales. (A little sideline for the restaurant staff). Also free food. I know the cook get 400 a day.

Its a 10 hour day, but lots of downtime between customers, playing on phone, eating etc.

300 a day, but usually some fringe benefits on top.

wow your wife hit the jack pot ! LOL

A few friends with restaurants targeting both expats / white collar thais in central Bangkok are willing to pay up to THB 25,000 - 30,000 for Thai staff that can effectively communicate in English (not fluent mind you, but enough to make life easy for non-Thai speaking clientele). 

Basically the OPs original question is a bit too vague as it depends entirely on the standard of the restaurant.  A high end establishment will pay more than some small cheap place.

Here is part of an ad I found on FB.

Hostess for Restaurant needed! Salary up to 16,000 baht + service charge + meals + housing

Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa is looking for an outgoing and friendly hostess for our awarded Restaurant

Requirements:
*Thai Female 
*20 to 30 years old
*Preferably 1-2 years experience in the same position or in a similar position
*Service oriented attitude & positive attitude
*Team spirit
* MUST TALK TO GUESTS
*Good English communication skills, both written and spoken

38 minutes ago, planr said:

A few friends with restaurants targeting both expats / white collar thais in central Bangkok are willing to pay up to THB 25,000 - 30,000 for Thai staff that can effectively communicate in English (not fluent mind you, but enough to make life easy for non-Thai speaking clientele). 

You friends are liars. It's clearly impossible.

My girlfriend works in a small hotel in Rawai, Phuket. She cleans rooms and does some cooking and serving meals.

6 days a week, 9am to 6pm with an hour break for lunch.

10,000 baht plus tips if she's lucky.

Previous job here was similar but only 9,000 baht per month.