Want a driving license? Just go to a driving school

webfact

10 minutes ago, JerryinTH said:

Just go to the DMV, watch the video, bring a resident certificate and you're out before lunch time. 

Anyone knows of driving schools in bangkok to get a big bike license? 

Have i missed this .

Are there different motor cycle licenses in Thailand ?

based on bike size ?

My one has private motor cycle on it.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

Have i missed this .

Are there different motor cycle licenses in Thailand ?

based on bike size ?

My one has private motor cycle on it.

No they are all the same, but I made the mistake and only got a thai car license, none for a bike. 

I don't think a driving test is that important for road safety....as I'm sure most of the elderly drivers on Thaivisa will agree as their driving tests were far simpler than anything required these days in any country, including Thailand, yet they will all vouch to being excellent drivers themselves.

what is so disturbing about this new measures is that it is obviously an open door to corruption........certificate factories will spring up everywhere - I find it hard to believe that a government official hasn't realised this.

Having learned to fly a plane on a similar system, each flying lesson one has to complete a number of exercises, and have them signed off, I have thought this would be a good route for for the UK Driving licence meaning that drivers should do at least x hours with a professional driving instructor before taking a test with a number of exercises signed off  by a qualified driving instructor. (this could include motorway driving as it would be impractical to take most drivers on a motorway in the limited time of a UK driving test).

31 minutes ago, bill1369 said:

Does anyone know if these 'schools' have any role in getting a 5-year license renewed? Mine expires later this year and I haven't a clue except to go to a licensing office and be told to come back with A, B & C docs.

BTW: I'm somewhat confused about the discussions regarding written and driving tests. When I received my first license - a 1-yr license - I did nothing more than a color blind test and step on a brake pedal when light turned red. When I received my 5-yr license it was no more than pay the fee. (Both done at the Land Office near BTS Mo Chit.)

If already have a Thai license then why would you need a driving school ? You need to go in person with your documents, take the various 'joke' eye tests and watch the 'stupid' video. 

I suspect your first license application then you had a home license to save any practical exam. No idea why your next 5 year had no tests ... usual whim of the officials.

And these days a first license is valid for 2 years. 

I imagine this new system of obtaining a driving certificate will work the same way it does for obtaining a medical certificate for your licence (actually I don't imagine). That's exactly how it's going to work. 

Not that the current system in place is any better......

Anyone on this site who thinks this is a better method or claims that accidents happen in every other country, when comparing Thailand is completely delusional. Thailand has the highest rate of motor vehicle  accidents/deaths on the planet. And for those that say it's second to a country know one has even heard of, are the same delusional individuals. It's the same old story in this country, find a way to make the Thai peoples lives even easier, and an other way to pass the blame somewhere else down the line. 

I wonder what kind of payout the ministry is receiving from these so called "driving" schools. I suppose the instructors of these schools receive their licences in the same manner, and then jump into their cars or mini vans smelling of alcohol and tabacco.

The hub of safe driving.....  

What they should really do is to scrap the whole thing; just give you your licence and make you sign a waiver. 

Wait for it......

what fun...

even easier than when I got a driving license in a 3rd world African country at 16. There you had to take a "test": drive round the block, park and pay the guy 400 shillings... about 5 quid at the time.

Thailand is competing for the number no 1 spot for road fatalities in the world.

Well, whatever it takes to be number 1 at something

25 minutes ago, Alan Deer said:

what is so disturbing about this new measures is that it is obviously an open door to corruption........certificate factories will spring up everywhere - I find it hard to believe that a government official hasn't realised this.

Maybe the traffic cops won't pay too much attention as to how the certificate was obtained but pretty sure any insurance company will check for any authenticity before a pay out. A far greater concern than a 500 baht fine imho.

Just now, elgordo38 said:

There is no license on my bike does not need gas and I get lots of excersize oops sorry you were referring to a motorbike of course how stupid of me. 

Yes I say bike as that covers for both my scooter and GSXR 1000, as you like semantics  next time I'll say license to ride my scooter and motorbike.

Why of why can't they just grow up. Clearly they need to adopt a better system. Why can't they jeu do what other countries do,,, 

Everyone should go through a set of driving lessons with a registered and qualified instructor and only when they instructor feels they are ready can they apply for their test as a test centre.

There are literally millions of people of the road in Thailand who clearly cannot drive, by that I mean they have no clue how to keep themselves and others safe on the roads. Its why they have the worst record in the world for road deaths and this ridiculous plan will make things worse for sure.

This country is just so backward and unwilling to develop itself, very scary.

50 minutes ago, Alan Deer said:

.......certificate factories will spring up everywhere - I find it hard to believe that a government official hasn't realised this.

The government official will probably be heavily invested in the certificate factory. :smile:

15 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Yes I say bike as that covers for both my scooter and GSXR 1000, as you like semantics  next time I'll say license to ride my scooter and motorbike.

Don't get all serious on me just having a little fun must look up the word semantics seems like a high falutin word. 

In Singapore, the average number of lessons needed before the TP test is 20 to 24 depending on how fast of a learner r u.

1 lesson is 120mins. 24 x 2 hours is 48 hours. Followed by a strict TP test.

In Thailand just 5 hours. N no need for test. The driving schools will be rich very fast very soon. N more traffic accidents soon.

Archived