Patong Language School

kasi

kasi

Look for a school that has a long reputation for teacher training.

Re: China, you will be disappointed. Only 5,000 yuan per month. Aprox, 24,900 Baht.

Your goal is money, not teaching. If you are looking for big bucks, you shouldn't be a teacher.

Regards,

BR

Hi kasi

Regarding reputations: Check out ECC and Text and Talk. I do not endorse either one, but they have been around for a long time. T n' T in Bkk since 1989. They both offer Tefl and or the RSA course. If you want quality to the max, check out the British Council in Bkk.

Again, don't look just at the schools, but who is your teacher and how long has that teacher been teaching Tefl and RSA.

As for the 50k US, maybe, but that would be for Ma's or Phd's in a field that the Chinese want. You're asking for a Tefl cert. and making 50k a year? The odds of that are the same as being the flight director for NASA.

By the way, I do love your face!

BronzeRider

• 2 weeks later...

China is not the place. English teaching has gone awry there.. Checkout the China TESL site.. Anyone will do. The rate of pay is about 5000RMB/monthly...yet signing a contact with the Chinese English teaching organization is only the begining of a negotiation. Stay away from English First.

Generally the adult students are better at writing in English.

There are more restrictions for westerners in CHINA.. You have been living in LOS for a while, you may find the transition difficult...The nightlife will not be anything you like.. Unless your in Shanghai or Beijing.

The additional cost of bring you over will be deducted from your salary. Do note.. some of those schools require a "6" day work week..leaving you only Sunday.. NFW..

Teaching in T-land is a better gig.. Show your ability, show your degree, thne the Thais will take care of you.. But this work permit and immigration procedures are a pain.. In China.. with the larger and established school.. this is taken care of by the school.

Good Luck.. :o

Rhys

It's the same pay, around 24.900 Baht per month. But is the cost of living in China less, so that the foreigner can save money? That's the question.

Stay away from English First.

Is this a school and why the warning? Some schools 'say' that they pay for your flight and they only pay for your return ticket if you finish your contract. Are you saying that they deduct the arrival cost from the salary?

Regards,

BR

Interesting,

My cousin is looking to come to Phuket with ECC, they pay for his flight, not sure the exact details as I was in a rush when I read his email, basically he asked me to research ECC, anyone know where I can look? or have any personal insights so that I may inform my young kin? Thanks.

Uh, I don't want to throw a fly in the ointment, but I find it quite hard to believe that ECC is willing to buy anyone an airticket - unless they think they can really trick someone. This is an outfit that often pays only B220 an hour - AND NO WORK PERMIT. This is the exact benefit level I was told by their hiring person on Phuket perhaps eighteen months ago.

If you mean their Certificate Program - then expect that they will seriously overcharge him for the certificate to pay for the airfare. Either way - on Phuket there is no free lunch.

You might find such a deal in BKK, but probably not in HKT. Also, most places don't even want to talk to you unless you are already on site.

I don't mean to piss on the party, but Thailand, and Phuket in particular, are not known for good compensation packages - at least not in the EFL game.

I'd heard informally that some teachers in china were making over $50K USD a year.

What about the reputations of the schools in Patong and chalong? They any good?

There are also teachers making up to $70k in Thailand, these teachers however have no degree from a patong language school. You can make money everywhere with decent qualifications, you'd better focus on these qualifications then if your aim is to make a lot of money. You can't get these qualifications in Patong..

Dutchy

Thanks Bob, my cousin is coming here to teach, not to get acredited - he has been teaching for about 4 years in Spain and has all the degrees, tefl's and bells and whistles already.

I agree that paying for a ticket sounds a bit unreal when they pay peanuts, I'll do some research later and let you know what I find, just interested in your thoughts...

I'd heard informally that some teachers in china were making over $50K USD a year.

I teach in China at an International School, that's where you can make this kind of money, you need qualifications and at least two years experience to be hired.

Unless you teach in an International School, you will not make that much money.

I live in Beijing right now, it is one of the most expensive places to live for a foreigner. But if you live like the Chinese in Chinese housing, eat Chinese food, and basically do not take part in Foreigner activities then you will be fine.

I love China, it is an amazing place. It has been a wonderful experience.