Phuket Tourism Soars 87% From 2005

george

Phuket tourism soars 87% from 2005

BANGKOK: -- About 4.7 million tourists are projected to visit the southern resort of Phuket in 2006, a jump of 87 per cent from last year, according to a report issued by Kasikorn Research Center.

Tourism in Phuket plummeted after the tsunami devastated southern coastal provinces, including Phuket, on Boxing Day of 2004 but began to recover since the beginning of this year due to several positive factors, the report said.

These factors included increased confidence on safety measures for tourists, close cooperation between the public and private sectors on reviving tourism spots and improving services in Phuket, and regular activities organized on the island.

Of the 4.7 million tourists visiting Phuket in 2006, about 70 per cent are foreign tourists, up 150 per cent from last year, while the remainder are local tourists which are projected to rise 18 per cent this year, the report said.

This year's revenue from tourism in Phuket is estimated at Bt62 billion, a jump of 120 per cent from 2005, of which about 82 per cent of the total comes from spending by foreign tourists.

In a bid to make Phuket the gateway to the Andaman Sea in 2007, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has mapped strategies on developing tourism on the island as well as areas along the Andaman Sea. Private tourism operators will also adapt their business strategies to coordinate with the government's policy.

Tourism recovery in Phuket is expected to continue to 2007 with sustainable growth projected at 11 per cent or 5.2 million people visiting the island while tourism revenue is estimated to further rise to Bt74 billion, the report added.

--TNA 2006-12-10

BANGKOK: -- About 4.7 million tourists are projected to visit the southern resort of Phuket in 2006, a jump of 87 per cent from last year, according to a report issued by Kasikorn Research Center.

Tourism in Phuket plummeted after the tsunami devastated southern coastal provinces, including Phuket, on Boxing Day of 2004 but began to recover since the beginning of this year due to several positive factors, the report said.

These factors included increased confidence on safety measures for tourists, close cooperation between the public and private sectors on reviving tourism spots and improving services in Phuket, and regular activities organized on the island.

Of the 4.7 million tourists visiting Phuket in 2006, about 70 per cent are foreign tourists, up 150 per cent from last year, while the remainder are local tourists which are projected to rise 18 per cent this year, the report said.

This year's revenue from tourism in Phuket is estimated at Bt62 billion, a jump of 120 per cent from 2005, of which about 82 per cent of the total comes from spending by foreign tourists.

In a bid to make Phuket the gateway to the Andaman Sea in 2007, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has mapped strategies on developing tourism on the island as well as areas along the Andaman Sea. Private tourism operators will also adapt their business strategies to coordinate with the government's policy.

Tourism recovery in Phuket is expected to continue to 2007 with sustainable growth projected at 11 per cent or 5.2 million people visiting the island while tourism revenue is estimated to further rise to Bt74 billion, the report added.

--TNA 2006-12-10

they expect that much because the thai baht is inflatted way over valued I can't wait until it comes crumbling down when you will get 50 or 60 baht to one USD and it will happen they tell you it the speculators driving the baht up that is a big B/S lie it BKK bank that proping up the thai baht when Thailand can't export no more and they have to pay the imports with the usd or brit pound because they wont trust the thai baht any more you will see it crumbling down the old saying what go up must come down and i am not transferring any more than I have to I rest my case

Yeah - thats very good !

Still I can't understand why they make it so difficult for us ! I'm one of those farangs bringing the tourists here - so they can spend their hard earned money - and they(the authorities) still make it so difficult for me to be here - very tired of the system - not Thailand.

Cheers

These factors included increased confidence on safety measures for tourists

Specifically on this point, I'm interested to hear from anyone there - is this true or is this spin? My only experience is of Phi Phi; there are some small 'evacuation route' signs. Phi Phi is gradually being rebuilt and the tourists are back this year, well up on last year I think. But I can't recall any signs of increased safety measures. I can't help feeling concerned that the evacuation route is being swallowed up under the rebuilding. Does anyone know if there are established safety measures around the region?

Yeah - thats very good !

Still I can't understand why they make it so difficult for us ! I'm one of those farangs bringing the tourists here - so they can spend their hard earned money - and they(the authorities) still make it so difficult for me to be here - very tired of the system - not Thailand.

Cheers

I agree, they must come up with a way to diferentiate who is who, and what do they contribute to the local economy and to industry.

I have been training locals in F and B / Hospitality for 15 years now and they have come up to speed on many things, and can do most of it themselves now, still, there is a need for qualified staff country-wide, most especially on Phuket since the Tsunami drove many to other regions. Plus, the construction of new facilities runs unabatted and new staff are not being trained at the same rate.The need for human resource increases has always been out-stripped by the opening of new facilities. Further, the older members of the F and B community are being let go, and their replacements do not have the same work ethic or knowlege of traditional and classic Thai foods or service.

But, we must continue to push the rock up the hill ...

this numbers are easy to explain, after the tsunami tourismarivals declined haevy, and now you have an recovery nearly to levels before, but even less compare to 2004,even on a 87% rise.

why the thaibaht is overvalues, it just reflect the financial position external of thailand.and on the other hand the weekness of the us$ due to deficits and net internat.investmentposition.

even all asian currencys are on the rise,because of purchasingpower they are undervalued.

yes shity viasproblems,,,but the THB have nothing to do if they kickout tousends of farangs ,the thb could even rise further, minmum against the pound and the euro.

Specifically on this point, I'm interested to hear from anyone there - is this true or is this spin? My only experience is of Phi Phi; there are some small 'evacuation route' signs. Phi Phi is gradually being rebuilt and the tourists are back this year, well up on last year I think. But I can't recall any signs of increased safety measures. I can't help feeling concerned that the evacuation route is being swallowed up under the rebuilding. Does anyone know if there are established safety measures around the region?

I am here, and have been for 6 weeks doing pre-season training. We have had a few good days here and there, but over all, I would say it is 'flat'. Everyone is waitng for the day it all breaks lose, as it does every season. Just when that day will be is not certain.

One problem is that many locals waited to rebuild, refurbish and regroup. So now many locations are underconstruction, the roads and walking areas are obstructed, vehicles everywhere, when there should not be ... TIT. The tourists who are here like it, but most can not figure why things are not a bit more tidy and clean. Also, due to the rush to get up and going for the high season, many work after sundown and create unnecessary noise, confusion and danger. Thus, many farang go home dissapointed in the destination and may not return.

There is a need to build up a recurring clientle, something that requires foresight and planning, but most of all, a team (all island/nation) effort.

Are you expecting another tsunami any time soon?

--TNA 2006-12-10

Yet they still allow the Tuk-Tuk drivers to damage the reputation by not enforcing rates to areas set up by the Govt, 100B from one corner to the next is a rip-off......a Baht Bus should be started ( I think one like they use in New Orleans to circle thru the French Quarter , it 's a bus that resembles a Street car) so people can get around Patong at a fair price....I hear the complaint all the time, one guy even got knifed arguing over a tuk-tuk driver changing the normal 100B price to 200B after he took the guy from Bangla RD. to NaNai Rd. ....a five minute or less ride ! I'm sure these figures don't mention what % is lost , due to these tactics.

The Wizard of R&R

I think this gotta be a bit over inflated... drumming up some kind of business as we say...

I think they ought to compare with other natural distasters and tourist recoveries... such as the hurricane that has devasted New Orleans... which probably based on these figures... a soaring 2000% tourism...

Of course as everything here is... "MY OPINION"

:o Ahso deska

There is a need to build up a recurring clientle, something that requires foresight and planning, but most of all, a team (all island/nation) effort.

Foresight and planning to a thai mean the front aiming mark on a gun and something farangs get worked up about.

I know, I know a generalism, but think about what generalisms are and do. They allow ppl to fill in the gaps in their understanding by replacing the information with often seen behaviours, traits and national characteristics. :o

So if "the hat fits".........

Anyway, alot of farangs buy their Time Share BG's and have to come back to Phuket

Some of those numbers may be inflated from redundancy. Do the bean counters count the same tourist who leaves for a short spell - then returns?

On a more subjective perspective, there must be some alluring aspects to Phuket - that offset the trash-strewn beaches, noise pollution, aggressive cross-gender touts and rip-off taxis that prevail. Oh well, in a land that worships money, it's the bottom line that counts - so congradulations Phuketians ...for the influx of revenue.

Some of those numbers may be inflated from redundancy. Do the bean counters count the same tourist once or twice - who leaves for a short spell, then returns?

On a more subjective perspective, there must be some alluring aspects to Phuket - that offset the trash-strewn beaches, noise pollution, aggressive cross-gender touts and rip-off taxis that prevail. Oh well, in a land that worships money, it's the bottom line that counts - so congradulations Phuketians ...for the influx of revenue.

Yeah - thats very good !

Cheers

:o how you like understand the new sillyness of visa law if the authority themselfes don't can explain me why I get as retired a 1 year vis but 1 year is not one year stay, I have to go out each 3rd month for few minutes to restamp the entry. With my kids during 4 holidays I can't visit more then 2 countries around for few days because even leave 1 day make expire the 30 day visa.

E.g in hte Philippines against a deposit of 20'000 US-Dollar (they deceased now from 50'000) you get a vuisa a life with illimited entries. The deposit you can use for investment and/or buy house and if now used you get back as soon you let annulate the visa.

I think unfortunately Thailand guide the country slowly in a economical "baisse" and the tourists will enjoy in the neighbour countries s Vietnam which come more and more lucrative. I am guest in this country, I have to accept but sometimes is good let go out the air.

I was in Patong in april 2005 4 months after tsunami sitting in my mates bar in soi dragon off bangla road.About 10 pm sirens started blaring,speakers set up in the streets barking out instructions in thai,next thing bar roller doors started slamming.my mate and i sat watching sipping our singa,wondering what was going on,next thing his wife starts screaming out tsunami coming head for the hills.there was another earthquake around the same area,but no tsunami eventuated.the point is the there was no warning system for farangs eg. in english german etc.the locals fled and the farangs watched in amazement of the exodus. one week later the same happened again.

thommo

Are you expecting another tsunami any time soon?

That's a silly rhetorical question because nobody knows when a tsunami will occur. Can you guarantee that there won't be one? For how long?

Some of the safety measures are not very visible because they are infrastructural, such as an early warning system and policies in place to spread the warning quickly. Whether or not these have been implemented, I do not know.

Move to Malaysia next door ... they will be so happy to treat you like a human :o)

ive been to malaysia, never again. the people are the most unfriendly i have come across in all the countries i have visited worldwide.

malayasia is certainly not truly asia.

Just seen the offical figures for flight arrivals

Great way to calculate the figures of people comming to Phuket....... add the arrivals and departures together to get a total figure of people using the airport..... in reality there have been about 2.7m visitors ot the island, plus however many drove over the bridge.

That's actual a rise of 51% on last years figures so whilst 87% may be an exageration the 51% is still welcome to see..... all we need now is for the people comming to spend their money here and not on package deals where everything is included in the price and paid out of the country to large travel companies

Also need fewer groups of people from certain asian countries who share their one bottle of Singha with their 4 mates and take an hour over each bottle.

Lots of building work going on but it's getting better and most of the building noise stops before the parties do so there can be little to compain about in that matter.

As for the TukTuks....... TIP rather than TIT..... dont like the situation but just have to put up with it. They have too much political influence for anything realistic to be done. Government can make edicts but they are not here every day to police it.... and noone wants to drive buses or metered taxis anymore as the last ones were all put in hospital.

But it's still a great place to live

:o

they expect that much because the thai baht is inflatted way over valued I can't wait until it comes crumbling down when you will get 50 or 60 baht to one USD and it will happen they tell you it the speculators driving the baht up that is a big B/S lie it BKK bank that proping up the thai baht when Thailand can't export no more and they have to pay the imports with the usd or brit pound because they wont trust the thai baht any more you will see it crumbling down the old saying what go up must come down and i am not transferring any more than I have to I rest my case

You may be confused.. with a Baht reaching sky levels, foreigners are getting less for their money and Thailand is becoming more expensive.... If the baht goes down that can only be good for tourism! When I was in Vietnam recently it was cheaper to pay in dollars than in Baht!

The future of the Baht is still to go up and some expect you might get only 35 Baht for a US Dollars... There are are some speculations going on but it might be that the Baht if becoming a strong regional currency.

[sandy]

Edit sp.

Edited by s.pylos

With the estimated income for Phuket alone at B62b one would think they'd value their tourists and treat 'em a lil better.

Who knows, that number could grow considerably.

The maths look a bit weird to me, but then I'm not inna mood to go into it.

Who are you talking about when you say "they" are you talking about the tuk tuk driver, the small guest house owner, or the jet ski rental guy. If you are do you think that they factor in this years tourism income when they quote you a price for a ride or a guest room?

The big guys, large business owners and politicians factor that figure into there policies, but you will not come into contact with these people as an average tourist, and their policies are so watered down, by being filtered through a heiarchy of lower level people that in the end, you are left with overpricing and low levels of service.

Don't know what else to say other than that......

Interesting comments reflecting different perspectives. For one thing a Tsunami can happen tomorrow or in the next 1000 years or anywhere in between, so there is no point in speculating.

Regarding the infrastructures, as far as unfinished work in progress the situation has not changed over the last 20 years, it has always been work in progress and will likely stay the same as long as tourist keep on flocking to the islands.

There are still a few rubber plantation left, ready to be replaced with hotels.....for packaged tourist.

Move to Malaysia next door ... they will be so happy to treat you like a human :o)

ive been to malaysia, never again. the people are the most unfriendly i have come across in all the countries i have visited worldwide.

malayasia is certainly not truly asia.

Well, I lived in Malaysia for a few years and a lot more in Thailand and I would not jump to such a statement. While the culture and history differ widely, both countries have their plus and minus. One thing I can agree too, though is the Malays cannot compete with the Thais when it comes to food but the Chinese and Indians are there to save the day....

went to Phuket in October and it was dead. I know off peak but....... only thing there were a few signs pointing away from the beach if a tsunami hit! like who doesnt know now - see the water recede RUN AWAY FROM BEACH!