January 16, 20179 yr Hi All. I came to Thailand a week ago for a new job, with a non B visa, and have a 90 day stamp in my passport. unfortunately, on arrival, the job isn't what I was promised, so I've decided to back out. In the interim, I've furnished a house and bought motorbike etc, so need to stick around for a while, plus I'd like to see if I can find some other employment for the future. My employer didn't yet apply for my work permit, so it's just a work visa I have. Can I still stay for the 90 days or can my employer just cancel my visa without me knowing, resulting in my having to leave within a certain period. They haven't told me what their plan is, so am I correct to assume that in theory I could stay until my visa expires. thanks!
January 16, 20179 yr You can stay for the remainder of your current 90 day permit to stay. Your visa is already used and can't be cancelled by anyone. There is nothing the employer can do to have your permit to stay revoked.
January 17, 20179 yr There is no such thing as a "work visa". You Non-B was used/expired the minute you got stamped into the country. It can't be "cancelled". Your permission to stay is valid in this case until the date stamped into the space next to "admitted until" in you passport and can be extended for 30 days.
January 18, 20179 yr DaveJ, I can't speak with authority, who can? this is what I think. If the employer is upset he could pull strings and frustrate any plans you have because he has done a lot of beaurocratic work in order to get you here. Assuming that he does nothing then before the 90 days are up you are free to remain. If after ninety days you apply for a one year extension I presume that you will need to provide documents that the conditions under which the visa was given still apply. I would say that would be a work-permit, If you can't provide that, then the request would be denied and you will be given seven days to leave the country. If a work permit application is still pending then they will give you more time but you won't get one year extension until you can fulfil all the requirements. Separately there is the 90 day report issue if you are still here after 96 days. Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect
January 18, 20179 yr I really don't don't get this idea about 'all the work' the employer has to do. I think the longest I had to wait for a WP was about 2 to 3 weeks.
January 22, 20179 yr On 1/18/2017 at 9:00 AM, overherebc said: I really don't don't get this idea about 'all the work' the employer has to do. I think the longest I had to wait for a WP was about 2 to 3 weeks. Have you not seen a work permit application? About 7 centimeters high worth of documents.
January 22, 20179 yr 3 minutes ago, duanebigsby said: Have you not seen a work permit application? About 7 centimeters high worth of documents. Agreed, but if a company has done it once then surely they can do it several times. The labour offices are generally very willing to help when asked.
January 22, 20179 yr 1 minute ago, overherebc said: Agreed, but if a company has done it once then surely they can do it several times. The labour offices are generally very willing to help when asked. Agreed. People who've done it before just do the work involved. Those who haven't have a learning curve. Not rocket science, but it is a lot of work, especially if key players happen to be absent when their documents need to be added. At schools it seems the director or sub director always seem to be on holiday when their documents are needed.
January 22, 20179 yr You are as safe to stay for the 90 days, as indicated in your passport, as any foreigner can ever be. There is nothing your almost-employer can do, even if he wants to, unless you get caught doing something to violate the terms of your visa/permission to stay. Without a valid work permit, this includes doing anything that could be interpreted as working in the widest sense of the word. As mentioned before, Thailand does not have any "work visas", but there is a number of visa types and permissions to stay can serve as the basis to apply for such a permit. The Non-B, which you apparently got, is one of those. What would be interesting to know is whether the permission to stay that you have now, could be used to apply for a work permit with another employer than the one who sponsored your original visa. I'm sure ubonjoe would have the answer to that and may provide it here. Edited January 22, 20179 yr by fstarbkk Grammar
Create an account or sign in to comment