Thailand Wants Rich Chinese Tourists, Not Budget Groups

webfact

I went to Hkg back and forth yesterday and in the early morning between 2&4 9 full flights left for China  and when I arrived in the evening same Chinese  airlines came back full with passengers so I guess they are back. The terminal and immigration going out was full of Chinese tour guides and their groups.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Toronto said:

How about Thailand wants polite or respectful Chinese  (insert any nationality). Do the people who make such pronouncements not consider how they come across as elitists? Yes, you have many fine attractions, and some very nice people, but the civil servants behind such campaigns are, to put it lightly, snobs. 

Quite frankly, this recent Thai obsession with grading tourists by their spending habits comes across as selfish and ungrateful. Be thankful that as it stands, tourism (no matter who, or from where) constitutes 11% of your GDP. 

If only these people know that there are different market segments within the industry and work towards targeting all of them. Amazing why these people even think they can pick and chose who they want here when there is not much on offer.

Edited by farangx

10 hours ago, fruitman said:

Rich chinese love to go to Europe, where there are nice cities to explore without a scammer on every corner of the street.

When will we get nice smokingrooms on Swampy airport Thailand? Or do quality tourists have to go in that dirty doghouse for a smoke?

I saw yesterday that some airport lounges have smoking room. That's an option for you quality travelers. I don't smoke so I'm ok with the regular business class lounge

Well it's tough titties for Thailand. All the middle class and upper middle class Chinese tourists are heading to Australia and Europe it would seem.  And they don't mind spending a bob or 2 in Cairn's either!

3 minutes ago, Michael8511 said:

I saw yesterday that some airport lounges have smoking room. That's an option for you quality travelers. I don't smoke so I'm ok with the regular business class lounge

I smoke. Visit Canada. It's nice and smoking is verboten everywhere. Ganja is the exception. Lol!

10 hours ago, simon43 said:

The push for high-end tourists is IMHO, a direct attack upon millions of low and middle class Thais who are not the owners of luxury hotels, resorts and '5-star' restaurants.

The tourist locations are packed with small guesthouses, restaurants, massage and souvenir shops, so many small Thai businesses trying to earn a living from the 'average' non-heeled tourist.  Does the government expect them all to shut up shop and go back to farming in Issan?

From what I saw in Pattaya, the small guesthouses, small restaurants and souvenir shops are exactly those, who do NOT profit from the Zero-baht-tours.

Totally different here in CM, with a lot of individual Asian tourism - not at least Chinese-,  they are (perhaps) not the "high-end" tourists, but at least middle class with money to spend. Money, they leave in guest houses, average hotels, and not at least in restaurants, boutiques, massage shops and souvenir shops.

... if this phenomenon of an increasing number of Asian tourists is good for the average western tourist or expat - that's quite another question!

The backpacker market is where they need to focus on. Thailand is set up for backpackers, they don't have a lot of money to spend but what they spend goes straight into the local economy creating more jobs and income for the small vendors who in tern spend it in there community a win win for everybody.

The backpacker market is where they need to focus on. Thailand is set up for backpackers, they don't have a lot of money to spend but what they spend goes straight into the local economy creating more jobs and income for the small vendors who in tern spend it in there community a win win for everybody.

Far to logical for this place. Go sit in the corner, troublemaker (joke)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rich fly to western countries where they can buy original brand name products, wine and dine in clean restaurants, aren't hassled by tuk tuk drivers, etc.

They ain't coming here to be fleeced. 

Thailand’s military government is seeking to focus on smaller groups

Wake Up & smell the coffee !

Many better quality humans/tourists do not acknowledge/give business to/approve of Military Dictatorships that have raped a country of their rights to self govern.

Thailand want better for yourself?? TAKE your country back.

The Chinese media says it is a 60% drop, with the reason being the zero dollar tour crackdown. They have nothing to gain by saying this so I'll trust them over Thailand's 30% claim.

Additionally, the Chinese also report almost daily problems with Chinese tourists in Thailand. Tourists attacked, robbed, cheated, and so on. None of which makes the Thai news, of course.

By rich do they mean "Upper class Chinese tourists" After moving from Thailand where I lived for 10 years to China last year, I can give them a pointer - look for the Chinese that dont smoke, hack and spit every 20 metres and let their children crap in the street - that's the closest you'll find to upper class characteristics in china!! Thailand needs to learn a lesson - the only way that will happen is if westerners stop going for a year and thats not going to happen is it?

By rich do they mean "Upper class Chinese tourists" After moving from Thailand where I lived for 10 years to China last year, I can give them a pointer - look for the Chinese that dont smoke, hack and spit every 20 metres and let their children crap in the street - that's the closest you'll find to upper class characteristics in china!! Thailand needs to learn a lesson - the only way that will happen is if westerners stop going for a year and thats not going to happen is it?

I believe a lot of 'westerners' HAVE stopped going to Thailand already but obviously TaT would not see that.

Plan A didn't work so there are plenty of other letters in the (English) alphabet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would " high end" tourists come to Thailand?.....Thais need to understand that there are other places " high end" tourists prefer to go.Particularly hi so Chinese.They avoid Thailand for Europe,UK,Canada,USA, Australia and New Zealand.TAT needs to understand Thailand is not hi so for hi so's.

Sent from my iris 750 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

15 minutes ago, samuibeachcomber said:

Why would " high end" tourists come to Thailand?.....Thais need to understand that there are other places " high end" tourists prefer to go.Particularly hi so Chinese.They avoid Thailand for Europe,UK,Canada,USA, Australia and New Zealand.TAT needs to understand Thailand is not hi so for hi so's.

Sent from my iris 750 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

"Thais need to understand that there are other places " high end" tourists prefer to go.Particularly hi so Chinese.They avoid Thailand for Europe,UK,Canada,USA, Australia and New Zealand.TAT needs to understand Thailand is not hi so for hi so's" ..... is what you think, rather than being fact!

On 18/01/2017 at 7:44 AM, Thailand said:

They should be reading the Chinese media, they are likely to be finding the 30% down jumping to 60%, all problems created by themselves.

There was nothing wrong with zero dollar tours, granted only a thin slice of bread, the butter comes from the next level of tourists up.

Recovery soon is not on the horizon.

As they say...a little bit of something is a lot better than a whole lot of nothing..where as a Thai would say no customer,put price up...

Maybe they can beg the sinothai hisos to travel a little more in their own country ? Oh nope. They couldnt be bothered because these very people prefer Dubai, London, Nyc, Nice, etc. Thailand is the land of backpackers, mongers, cheapos and... lowend organised tours. No offense!

On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 0:43 AM, chiang mai said:

This constant story about Thailand wanting a better class of tourist does get old does it not, perhaps the ladyboys and gold chain snatchers on Beach Road are complaining about poor takings! Why not just weed them out at the airport and if they don't appear well heeled, send them straight home again, how dare the peasants come to upmarket Thailand, what nerve. Why, they could even have separate queue lanes at Immigration in Swampy, "Well Heeled", "Loafers and Slip-Ons" and "Sandals", problem solved.

Good idea. Dont forget the lanes for genuine crocks. Fake crocks. Genuine lacoste polo. Fake lacoste polo. Genuine fitflop. Fake fitflop. Genuine vuitton. Fake... and so on. And of course the most important thing in los: genuine unflat nose. Fake unflat nose. 555

Going back a few posts, there's nought wrong with Sunny Brid, Gods own town in Gods own country.

What many do not realise about the mass Chinese tourists is that they seldom spend any money in Thailand. The tours are organised and paid for in China, the buses are from China, the hotels they stay at are owned by Chinese organisations and everything is inclusive. Nearly all transactions take place in China and no money reaches Thailand except for the fuel costs.

Just watch the PRC tourists fill up their lunch boxes at breakfast time, they are like camels at a watering post. Then they are good for the day. All you hear is " zou ba", " zou ba"...Let's go, hurry up. Drives my wife mad (Singaporean Chinese and allergic to the PRC).

I love Chiang Rai but dread the night market when the maddening crowds arrive pushing and shoving. The PRC are as cultural aware as the Americans. They even have a separate toilet for the PRC at the White Temple as the normal ones were being made unusable.

Hey Ho, happy days.