Songkran Pattaya 2017

texanaust

On 1/19/2017 at 6:49 AM, Don Mega said:

if you are leaving before lunchtime any day will be OK but the 13th is day one, it should be ok as long as you avoid beach road and adjoining soi's.

I think you'll find the 11th is day one, however, I agree that travelling before lunch should be no problem.

37 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I think you'll find the 11th is day one, however, I agree that travelling before lunch should be no problem.

Ha, Yeah I was well off. Just checked my 2017 public holidays at work and we have Songran listed as 10th to 14th.... gotta love 5  public holidays in a row !!

Fill the fridge with beers and freezer with steak, 9 days  behind a locked gate lazying it up beside the pool, Can't wait !!

On 1/20/2017 at 1:46 PM, Don Mega said:

Ha, Yeah I was well off. Just checked my 2017 public holidays at work and we have Songran listed as 10th to 14th.... gotta love 5  public holidays in a row !!

Last couple of years Songkran has become progressively milder. If this year is like last year then the major roads shouldn't be jammed until maybe the afternoon of 17th as the Naklua Songkran day is on the 18th. The 18th and 19th are worst.

Fill the fridge with beers and freezer with steak, 9 days  behind a locked gate lazying it up beside the pool, Can't wait !!

You forgot the smokes, the fine bourbon & single malt, & the wimmen. Got a missus? Start now introducing the extremely important concept of the threesome. Party time in the bunker!

bunker.jpg

Gettin' wild in da bunka! F**** u hooligans!

On 1/19/2017 at 1:17 PM, NanLaew said:

Like the first crocuses breaking through the frost and the first flight of geese seen flying north, the first Songkran thread of 2017 appears.

Life is good in the Realm.

April is the cruellest month . . .

8 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Gave up smoking and only drink beer, kicked the missus out a few weeks ago and have no desire for female company of any sorts (my hands does the job just fine without all the crap associated with women).

Gee Don Mega that's fascinating info....Please keep us updated

on the situation...That's what I call first hand information...

The first couple of years here was fun. Then it started getting aggressive - I personally witnessed Thais throwing buckets of water at motorbikes exiting a high speed highway trying to knock them off their bikes.

Any holiday that has the news daily reporting how many people have been killed so far is out of control. Foodland is open 24 hours, during the holidays I make sure to stock up on necessities and can replenish at 4:00 a.m. if need be, and hide away until it's all over.

For those who enjoy it - Good on ya, rock on, stay safe.

1 hour ago, quandow said:

I personally witnessed Thais throwing buckets of water at motorbikes exiting a high speed highway trying to knock them off their bikes.

My first bad songkran experience was in 1999 Phrea province on a main but ( luckily)  totally deserted road I was riding along  minding my own business when suddenly with no warning a young boy with his dad egging him on ran to the side of the road and threw a whole bucket of water right in my face knocking off my glasses and rendering me virtually  blind 

( like Velma from Scooby Doo short sighted)
I stopped the bike and  told the pair of them what I though of their antics..the father went and found my glasses and gave me a sheepish grin as he handed them to me..... further along the road  a bunch of teenagers where Songraning and stopped me by throwing another whole bucket of water this time right at the cylinder head/spark plug so the bike died immediately then I got soaked in ice water !!! 

Whats not to like  about it ??

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

Have booked flights and taxis to pattaya already. Have ordered a super soaker 5000. Which should be waiting for me at Security at my condo in Pattaya when we get there. Then it's 10 days of fun bring it on.

And, I've also booked flights but taxis FROM Pattaya already.  I'll be away in the USA for a week.  Enjoy Pattaya in my absence!

My first bad songkran experience was in 1999 Phrea province on a main but ( luckily)  totally deserted road I was riding along  minding my own business when suddenly with no warning a young boy with his dad egging him on ran to the side of the road and threw a whole bucket of water right in my face knocking off my glasses and rendering me virtually  blind 
( like Velma from Scooby Doo short sighted)
I stopped the bike and  told the pair of them what I though of their antics..the father went and found my glasses and gave me a sheepish grin as he handed them to me..... further along the road  a bunch of teenagers where Songraning and stopped me by throwing another whole bucket of water this time right at the cylinder head/spark plug so the bike died immediately then I got soaked in ice water !!! 

Whats not to like  about it ??

I had the exact same experience years ago driving home from work on the 12th, I. e. before the madness is supposed to start. Just overtook a truck but was wearing a full face helmet and the road was straight... Was very very lucky

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I plan to put up the Songkran FAQ again in early March mainly for noobs. About all you need to know now is that if you're planning to leave the country, bear in mind that you'll have plenty of company so you may expect long lines at the Jomtien Immigration office and at Suvarnabhumi. If you're headed to Angeles, book your seat early. Now it's

70:03:20

(dd:hh:mm) until April 11 @ 2:00 PM.

How quickly Songkran arrives in Pattaya; how slowly it departs.

3 hours ago, JSixpack said:

I plan to put up the Songkran FAQ again in early March mainly for noobs. About all you need to know now is that if you're planning to leave the country, bear in mind that you'll have plenty of company so you may expect long lines at the Jomtien Immigration office and at Suvarnabhumi. If you're headed to Angeles, book your seat early. Now it's

70:03:20

(dd:hh:mm) until April 11 @ 2:00 PM.

How quickly Songkran arrives in Pattaya; how slowly it departs.

Your FAQ is great but a bit too long...

On 1/23/2017 at 9:40 AM, mercman24 said:

grumpy old men out today, trying to tell thais how to live their lives. i am 70 enjoy every moment of it.  took a dolly bird to Phuket last year, a great time was had by all.

Except perhaps the dolly bird.

• 2 months later...

12 years ago driving [car] along Sukhumwit i saw a large tanker parked opposite Lotus..It was filling the big water tanks on a pickup..2 more were waiting to be filled up....On the side of the tanker were the words 'Emty you tilet'''and a phone number.......

On 1/31/2017 at 2:20 PM, rott said:

Except perhaps the dolly bird.

Oh, she enjoyed it too.    At least when she got back to Pattaya and got to spend the B 10,000  the old geezer had to give her!

Archived