Culture Clashes in Pattaya, Thailand

Inspire

Culture Clashes in Pattaya, Thailand

written by Inspire Guest Blogger Bryan Flowers

pattaya-main.jpg

Today’s blog is going to be specifically focused on culture clashes in Pattaya and how it leads to the majority of conflicts and disputes that I see here.

I’ve lived here for coming on three years now and since Pattaya is a tourist town that draws people in from all over the world from a variety of backgrounds and individual stories it tends to put together a melting pot of people. Add in a garnish of liquor and easily available female company and you will often have a stew that will sometimes have a bitter taste. Consider as well that many people who come to Pattaya are NOT well travelled and have in fact done very little travelling outside of Thailand and their home country so in many cases have not been exposed to other cultures.

Guys ask me a lot if I have seen physical conflicts or fights here in Pattaya. The short answer is yes, many. It happens a lot more often then most people seem to think but the majority of people that visit Pattaya will never once get into a physical conflict nor even see one. In my own bar, Sexy in the City on Soi 6, I have never had an actual fight in two and a half years (Cross my fingers). We had one minor incident involving a sucker punch from one customer to another but it was disrupted and broken up quickly by my security. I have, however, seen plenty of fights in associated bars and at other venues in Pattaya.

Liquor consumption in heavy amounts is often a reason but what I wanted to focus on and hopefully open some eyes is that the cultural differences between individuals from different countries is more often the underlying issue that stokes a situation. I’m going to look at a couple different situations and a couple common misconceptions and hope to clear them up. If this helps even one person for an upcoming holiday or to avoid a situation then I know I have not wasted my time writing this up. I’m also going to write a bit on how being proactive vs. being reactive will save you a lot of potential trouble here.

Let me preface by saying that the following examples in no way, shape or form define every single person from a country or represent the culture for millions of people. However, these are common examples that are seen often in Pattaya:

Example One: The wind up. In some cultures, especially Australia and England, it is somewhat common to call people a “f*cking c*nt” as a friendly greeting or continually wind a person up with self jokes, insults, etc as a way of friendly banter. In other cultures, including a lot of America, this is NOT common. In fact, the word cunt is almost NEVER used in the states and most people tend not to wind each other up as much due to the lawsuit culture, threat of defamation of character, the public sensitivity issues, etc. This has taken me (And at times still taking) a lot of time to get used to. I’ve seen more then one fight here because someone is intending to simply give someone a friendly wind up and the other person takes it seriously and before you know it people come to blows. I personally don’t enjoy winding people or making fun of them but I understand why people do and to them it is often a term of endearment vs. an actual insult. There are a lot of people here that will wind up others based on the country they are from. In most cases, it is harmless jokes and if I had one baht for every Donald Trump joke or comment over the last year in my bar I would be a rich man now.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/culture-clashes-pattaya-thailand/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2017-01-22

15 hours ago, Inspire said:

In other cultures, including a lot of America, this is NOT common. In fact, the word <deleted> is almost NEVER used in the states and most people tend not to wind each other up as much due to the lawsuit culture, threat of defamation of character, the public sensitivity issues, etc.

As an experienced American I have a different view of this. The word <deleted> is frequently used but it is "fighting words" when we use it. It is not typically used in a friendly way. And your reasons why do not seem familiar to me either. Yes, we have a lawsuit culture but it does not spill over into the first meeting of a casual acquaintance. In my opinion we just have a different approach to being friendly. Or some people are not interested in being friendly and keep to themselves. Windups are saved for when you are past the initial meet and greet phase when you are really getting along with each other. I would sum it up by saying that it is simply a different style. You wInker. BWAAA HAA HAAA -  winding up my new Brit friends here in Thailand by calling one a wInker was not met with any merriment. So much for my attempt at cultural camaraderie. Maybe I'll pop 'round to your bar and let you buy me a cold one.

:smile:

Edited by captnhoy

Being an American I also find some of the language mentioned highly offensive.  When forced to listen to such trash my response is to just leave.  Perhaps that's why I've become particular and selective where I choose to go when eating out or when enjoying a few adult beverages.

15 hours ago, Inspire said:

I personally don’t enjoy winding people or making fun of them but I understand why people do and to them it is often a term of endearment vs. an actual insult.

I doubt in any culture someone would use some of the terms you've mentioned with strangers or anyone they barely know and consider it a term of endearment. Most people have the good sense to adjust what they say depending on how well they know someone ... of course with the culture of perpetual inebriation, that simple judgement is lost.

Americans are as likely to poke fun at one another as anyone else, but the language used would vary a lot depending on the relationship and sensitivity to what would be acceptable with one friend and not with another. Using words that are considered especially trashy may be dependent on social class and education level ... as elitist and snobby as that observation may sound.

The same applies to Thai friends. I would never use the term "ting tong" with most Thais, but with one close friend we frequently use that expression following something the other has said or done, and it doesn't bruise feelings.

Edited by Suradit69

42 minutes ago, wump said:

This is the first article in Inspire that I actually find interesting and that don't consider mindless babble. Well done to the author!

Fair enough,but how can he write a four letter word that the rest of us would have deleted.Is this one rule for some and not others.

Soi 6 isn't a  microcosm of Pattaya. It is the most likely of places if you are looking for drunken brawling and bad language. After 3 weeks; never mind 3 years; most people will tire of such "drama" and find other things to do. You need to get out and about a bit more and I don't mean to Sois 7 & 8.

1 hour ago, Roger Lee said:

Being an American I also find some of the language mentioned highly offensive.  When forced to listen to such trash my response is to just leave.  Perhaps that's why I've become particular and selective where I choose to go when eating out or when enjoying a few adult beverages.

A wise idea choose your social environment carefully. If your going to make a fool of yourself do it among friends. Sucker punching is becoming to common today only ran into it once in Mexico and could see it coming. 

Americans get to be friends first before using insults as a means to show strength of their friendship (I'm American, btw). I have an American friend who would do the insults of me when introducing me to some Thai girlfriend or friends, and they would get a perplexed look for sure. I suggested to him in private they just don't get it. Haven't seen him in some time, so not sure if changed his ways or not.

Lots depends on the tone, in my opinion. Australians are most entertaining, put real effort into the insults, and do it with a subliminal smile or wink. As we say in the old west "Smile when ya say that, stranger".

32 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Americans get to be friends first before using insults as a means to show strength of their friendship (I'm American, btw). I have an American friend who would do the insults of me when introducing me to some Thai girlfriend or friends, and they would get a perplexed look for sure. I suggested to him in private they just don't get it. Haven't seen him in some time, so not sure if changed his ways or not.

Lots depends on the tone, in my opinion. Australians are most entertaining, put real effort into the insults, and do it with a subliminal smile or wink. As we say in the old west "Smile when ya say that, stranger".

Pretty much what you're saying would apply to Brits or Aussies, you don't walk up to somebody in UK or Oz and call them a <deleted> or worse, without first knowing them, and even then with some you know how far you can go without hurting feelings etc some don't get that kind of humour at all, so you just leave it out!

This post talks about culture. There are no cultured farangs living in Pattaya. It attracts people of very low life and low education, as well as criminals on the run. Its main attraction is its sex trade. It's a haven for ugly and unattractive farangs who could never find a decent looking girl in their own countries. I know a lot of expats and Thais and they would never live there.

While the author makes some good  points about interactions from various cultures- the people who visit Soi 6 and the sex/entertainment areas of Pattaya are not always a representative cross section of each culture. I know many Amereicans, Brits, Aussies and others who would never go to Pattaya because the city has a very poor reputation. Pattaya is now attracting the less educated; budget minded tourist from around the World simply because of its poor reputation. In addition, most of the Brits and Aussies I do know do not use the language you describe and those that do - it is not directed at anyone in particular at the table or room.

I have seen this felang rage only a few times,over the years we had two bars in Patts.It is,as said,usually alcahol related.But there are a few Expats that are wicked beyond belief even when sober.I speak of the felang that loves to try and screw up peoples heads with comments.They are normally long termers here.It happened in my place one time.It was an occasion when a youngish guy had taken a likening to a certain girl who worked in the bar. He started bar fining her on a regular basis.This girl was a peach,and she had recently told an older member of our customers that she didnt want to go with him any more,Ok,fair enough.On one night when the guy came in,and paid the bar fine in advance so he could keep her attention all the night.He would by drinks,so it was money in the bars pocket.In his jealousy and nasty mind,he had to approach the the younger guy and tell him what a good sport his girl was and commented on one of her assets.They retired to the street,where the younger guy proceeded to kick the others ass using several martial art moves.After it was over the older guy limped off and never came back. I chatted to him andtried to make him understand that girls in the bar have a completely different take on sex over here.What happens before is forgotten in an instant. I,like any other man has had my fair share of girls here,but on seeing them or being in the same place as them,when they are with a guy,i dont even acknowledge them.This is a far better solution than saying hi and causing any embarrassment.We felangs have different feelings and its not easy to understand the bar girls way of life when it comes to being a customer for money and being someone special that a girl actually likes.But there are nasty,wicked twisted men that would love to tell them.

I'm an Australian. Never,  well atleast for the last couple of decades have I been offended by someone's insults to me. Could be my culture but I think it is more that I just don't give a sh1t about other people's words. Unless I ask for them. 

5 hours ago, captnhoy said:

As an experienced American I have a different view of this. The word <deleted> is frequently used but it is "fighting words" when we use it. It is not typically used in a friendly way. And your reasons why do not seem familiar to me either. Yes, we have a lawsuit culture but it does not spill over into the first meeting of a casual acquaintance. In my opinion we just have a different approach to being friendly. Or some people are not interested in being friendly and keep to themselves. Windups are saved for when you are past the initial meet and greet phase when you are really getting along with each other. I would sum it up by saying that it is simply a different style. You wInker. BWAAA HAA HAAA -  winding up my new Brit friends here in Thailand by calling one a wInker was not met with any merriment. So much for my attempt at cultural camaraderie. Maybe I'll pop 'round to your bar and let you buy me a cold one.

:smile:

Surely you mean <deleted> Popeye ?

5 hours ago, wump said:

This is the first article in Inspire that I actually find interesting and that don't consider mindless babble. Well done to the author!

And who is the author? He claims he owns a sexy bar in soi six. Presumably he employs prostitutes and lives of their earnings as well as bar fines(pimping fees). I would think that in most countries his profession is considered the lowest of the low, the dregs of society and he talks  about culture.!

3 minutes ago, gamini said:

And who is the author? He claims he owns a sexy bar in soi six. Presumably he employs prostitutes and lives of their earnings as well as bar fines(pimping fees). I would think that in most countries his profession is considered the lowest of the low, the dregs of society and he talks  about culture.!

Seems you ain't got any principles. Why are you living in Thailand? for the women ? surely ain't the beer or feeling safe because of the strong Police presence. Get owf your high horse before you fall awf.

4 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Americans get to be friends first before using insults as a means to show strength of their friendship

I knew I had you pegged right. Strength of friendship is a mental thing not a physical or verbal intimidation/abuse. Your an OK Yank Emster23

44 minutes ago, gamini said:

The guy provided good info on differences within certain cultures in that particular environment, and all ring true to some degree it would appear. Gun jumper.

On 1/22/2017 at 5:55 PM, Rc2702 said:

The guy provided good info on differences within certain cultures in that particular environment, and all ring true to some degree it would appear. Gun jumper.

What would a person like him know about culture.? I can't imagine any cultured person would dissociate himself with people of his profession