Old Volks Beetle restorer

LannaGuy

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

wow look at that!  :)   I did ask Mr Nui about an engine rebuild etc. but he insists he's maintained this car for years and years and it's 'good' so, as he has an obvious passion and looks an honest enough fellow, I should follow his advice.

:smile:

It's called the "If ain't broke don't fix it" rule...

And for my part I do believe this rule: why bother if everything runs good and clean?

I think you made a great find, Lannaguy. Enjoy her as she is now and maybe after months or years of drive see further what you'ld be willing to "modify" or "change"... eventually.

Good luck and enjoy!

12 hours ago, gobs said:

:smile:

It's called the "If ain't broke don't fix it" rule...

And for my part I do believe this rule: why bother if everything runs good and clean?

I think you made a great find, Lannaguy. Enjoy her as she is now and maybe after months or years of drive see further what you'ld be willing to "modify" or "change"... eventually.

Good luck and enjoy!

thanks so much gobs  - coffee and 'Beetle Meet' soon!

We also used a guy in saraphi who did a new headliner and new upholstery all round.
He was another contact of Nui, going towards lamphun on the old road, somewhere around saraphi hospital on the opposite side of the road is a fantastic restoration place that does all classic car work, you can often see old benz and American cars out the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 minute ago, alaninlamphun said:

We also used a guy in saraphi who did a new headliner and new upholstery all round.
He was another contact of Nui, going towards lamphun on the old road, somewhere around saraphi hospital on the opposite side of the road is a fantastic restoration place that does all classic car work, you can often see old benz and American cars out the front.

you mean Nui recommended him?  I'm getting two front seats recovered I assumed Nui would send the work out to an upholsterer 

6 minutes ago, alaninlamphun said:

I42cbec9dfaa2bb428b4fae843a97baae.jpg

On a road trip to Mae Sariang

nice... like the wheels too... I was tempted to get low profile 'sexy' wheels but I think it could destroy the classic look of the car - come join me and gobs when we have coffee soon and introduce our Beetles  lol

Been all over thailand in the beetle, as far south as Trang, Samui, to ko chang in the east and up through isaan as far north to mae sai, up and down all sorts of hills and the car has been near perfect, a few nervous moments in remote places but it always ok after cleaning the points.
Check the oil regularly and it will go fine.

8 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

nice... like the wheels too... I was tempted to get low profile 'sexy' wheels but I think it could destroy the classic look of the car - come join me and gobs when we have coffee soon and introduce our Beetles  lol

Mmmmmh...

I'm not so sure about that, Lannaguy. IMHO doing so would not be a absolute sacrilege. Beetles of this era ('60-'70s) where often "modified" to the owner's taste. And you may find some great vintage accessories replicas to personalize your own Beetle to your own taste, as in these times.

What about this one for example (picked on the Internet, thanks to the owner)?

Fuchs Beetle 02.jpg

I like those Fuchs wheel replicas. It stays "classic" and to my eyes it's far from uggly!

IMHO:

- It's all about an overview. If one is going after alloy wheels, the overall look has to be previously considered for a well balanced look (without falling into excess of course).

- Only swapping the wheels may not be so great.

- Adding some nice discrete touches (as your mirrors already are for example) to the body may help to improve a expected overall feeling.

- Or add a wooden wheeldrive with a wooden gear shaft knob, for example, or, or...

Giving a personal touch to a Beetle is a no ending game. And that's part of the fun...

Note:

1) IMHO again, I think I would not touch to a earliest Beetle model though (Split and so on). In my mind those "old" models are more about collection than daily drives...

2) If you modify your Beetle, in any case keep safe the original parts. You may later want to swap them back or in case of a sale you may add these parts to a deal with the next owner...

But I may be wrong about all this of course.

Cheers,

Ray

14 hours ago, gobs said:

Mmmmmh...

I'm not so sure about that, Lannaguy. IMHO doing so would not be a absolute sacrilege. Beetles of this era ('60-'70s) where often "modified" to the owner's taste. And you may find some great vintage accessories replicas to personalize your own Beetle to your own taste, as in these times.

What about this one for example (picked on the Internet, thanks to the owner)?

Fuchs Beetle 02.jpg

I like those Fuchs wheel replicas. It stays "classic" and to my eyes it's far from uggly!

IMHO:

- It's all about an overview. If one is going after alloy wheels, the overall look has to be previously considered for a well balanced look (without falling into excess of course).

- Only swapping the wheels may not be so great.

- Adding some nice discrete touches (as your mirrors already are for example) to the body may help to improve a expected overall feeling.

- Or add a wooden wheeldrive with a wooden gear shaft knob, for example, or, or...

Giving a personal touch to a Beetle is a no ending game. And that's part of the fun...

Note:

1) IMHO again, I think I would not touch to a earliest Beetle model though (Split and so on). In my mind those "old" models are more about collection than daily drives...

2) If you modify your Beetle, in any case keep safe the original parts. You may later want to swap them back or in case of a sale you may add these parts to a deal with the next owner...

But I may be wrong about all this of course.

Cheers,

Ray

well 'Beetles' fanatics might disagree but i agree you have a point and that white one looks marvelous with those wheels... so I might change my mind again   lol

talk to a trusted VW mechanic and ask him what he thinks about 180,000 km original exhaust valves......

if you asked anyone around here they would call them time bombs  ,  

if it was well taken care of , which it looks like it was , it is just in the VW design.

get a copy of the cold Complete Idiot VW book and learn how to check your own valve clearance,

it takes less than 15 minutes and if the clearance on one of the exhaust valves keeps getting smaller ( normally #3) you know a problem is coming ,

Also have a spare fan belt and tools to change it if needed ,  do not drive it  without a fan belt as it also powers the cooling fan.....

"gute Fahrt"

12 hours ago, steve187 said:

does anyone know of a web site that lists prices and availability of VW classic spares within Thailand.  here is one but are there others.--  http://www.baanrodvolk.com

:tongue: Good question, steve...

As I'm looking for this...

Grab strap.jpg

... and it's far too expensive to order abroad, after a quick search, I found these links:

http://www.vwshowtime.com/v2/index_k.html

http://www.volkspare.net/2007/product.php#

The second link seems to be a wholesaler, maybe...

But not hudge catalogs and many times no price, but worth a try. You have to contact the sellers I guess...

But my quest in not over yet. I've to spend more time on this (too busy under my Beetle hoods for now!)...

Also I suppose (note: suppose!) some spares may be sold through Facebook as are many things here in Thailand. But for me, well Facebook, errrrr...

In any case, if you get some better info/links, I'm interested. Thanks in advance to share.

Ray

21 hours ago, gobs said:

:tongue: Good question, steve...

As I'm looking for this...

Grab strap.jpg

... and it's far too expensive to order abroad, after a quick search, I found these links:

http://www.vwshowtime.com/v2/index_k.html

http://www.volkspare.net/2007/product.php#

The second link seems to be a wholesaler, maybe...

But not hudge catalogs and many times no price, but worth a try. You have to contact the sellers I guess...

But my quest in not over yet. I've to spend more time on this (too busy under my Beetle hoods for now!)...

Also I suppose (note: suppose!) some spares may be sold through Facebook as are many things here in Thailand. But for me, well Facebook, errrrr...

In any case, if you get some better info/links, I'm interested. Thanks in advance to share.

Ray

yea i need two

2 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

yea i need two

part number for the strap only is 113857611E.  3 other parts required. 113857637B - 635C and 639A

in UK set here £10 a side - https://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-beetle/beetle_interior_parts/beetle_interior_parts--and--dash_parts/white_assist_strap_kit_beetle_2fslash67-79_bus_80-92_10514/ so are available repo

but i would have thought 2nd hand over here should be available, but some facebook posters ask for a fortune because it has a VW stamp. but i will keep a look out while i am looking for bits for myself.

3 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

yea i need two

Have a look here:

http://www.volkspare.net/2007/product.php

And go to page 9. You can see it complete "for sale" at the top right ( Part No: 113 857 611E-WH,IV )...

But I don't know yet how to order (if not a wholesaler) nor even if the site is up to date. As well it seems his Facebook address/page is closed, so...

More investigations needed.