wifi safety

zlodnick

I'm going to Delhi India for a week and I would like to take my laptop to use in the hotel.

I've never used public wifi before, so I Googled how to do it. I was surprized to see website after website about how unsafe public wifi is.

There is so much information, I'm not sure what to do. I'd like to know, what is really necessary and how much I am able to do.

I have windows 10 and would like to use email, skype, facebook, youtube and surf the net, while in India.

It all seems a bit overwhelming to me. I was thinking, maybe it would be easier for me to buy a dongle when I get there.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

17 minutes ago, Aachen said:

The WiFi networks of the hotspots maybe unsecure. But this must not be for your work. Use Https, secure EMail, vpn etc.

"maybe"?! Always work on the assumption that a hotspot is always unsecure. I use a VPN even on my cell phone - the Opera browser has a free VPN that you can download. Not sure how it works with FaceBook as I'm an adult

1 hour ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

"maybe"?! Always work on the assumption that a hotspot is always unsecure. I use a VPN even on my cell phone - the Opera browser has a free VPN that you can download. Not sure how it works with FaceBook as I'm an adult

I even use my own VPN on my home Router with my mobile and desktop. And Chicog is right.

45 minutes ago, Aachen said:

I even use my own VPN on my home Router with my mobile and desktop. And Chicog is right.

I wouldn't use a VPN at home *, there is no point adding the overhead when you can secure your own Wireless network to a high standard.

* Except to access blocked sites. But that's illegal in Thailand, so don't do it.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Chicog

10 minutes ago, zlodnick said:

Thanks Chicog. Only problem is, that is probably beyond my ability, but I will check it out.

Maybe it would be easiest to just buy a dongle? 

You can just use some plugins. There already is one solution in Opera browser. Opera on Android even has a vpv app. Elde you can use TunnelBear App etc.

1 hour ago, Chicog said:

I wouldn't use a VPN at home *, there is no point adding the overhead when you can secure your own Wireless network to a high standard.

I thought same, but the use of my German Router by VPN from here is sometimes faster than direct connection. Maybe because of better connectivity from Germany, better NS-service or whatever.

I worked in India for some years, always used a VPN except in the office where it was blocked (as was everything except browsing on port 80).

Ivacy.com are currently doing an offer of 2 years for $39.95 if you pay in advance, seems pretty quick and there are servers all over the world.

Speed is going to be your issue, things are improving but most hotels still lumber you with a 1Mb connection.

2 hours ago, zlodnick said:

Thanks Chicog. Only problem is, that is probably beyond my ability, but I will check it out.

Maybe it would be easiest to just buy a dongle? 

Surely you can install Chrome? Just google "How to install Chrome Browser".

Then Google "How to install Browsec in Chrome".

Browsec puts a little globe icon in the Chrome toolbar. You click it to turn it on or off, or to select the location.

It's easy.