Science graduate uses his degree to open an illegal brewery

webfact

Science graduate uses his degree to open an illegal brewery

a5.jpg

Source: Sanook

BANGKOK: -- A recently qualified science graduate thought he would use what he had learnt at university to good effect.

He opened up an illegally beer factory in some shop houses in the Nonthaburi area north of Bangkok.

Arrested yesterday was 28 year old Thaophiphop Limjitrakorn. Customs and excise and Ratanathibet police went in the back door of a property in Moo 8 of Muang district where they found the suspect organizing the distribution of his beer.

On the second floor there was the temperature controlled brewing area and on the third floor an area for boiling the mash.

A large quantity of evidence including barley was taken into evidence, reports Sanook.

Thaophiphop told police that he loved beer. He had originally just made it for himself but after perfecting the recipe he had started selling to young people of his acquaintance and people at the well known university where he used to study science.

He was in the process of expanding his business when the authorities arrived and arrested him.

He was given away by a member of the public who said there was drinking happening on the premises.

He has been charged with illegal making of alcoholic beverages and the sale thereof.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-23

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beer is a completely monopolized market here. Would be alright if the beers on offer were actually any good. Mostly just generic swill. Unlucky, buddy. There's no more room for beer entrepreneurs in Thailand. It's a closed market for the few. 

There are plenty of good Thai craft beers -- Chalawan Pale Ale, Chatri IPA, Sandport, Happy New Beer etc. Technically they're brewed outside of the country but let's just say that some aspects of production do take place within Thailand. You just can't be as obvious about it as this poor fellow was. Fortunately there are signs that the law will gradually relax, like elsewhere around the region.

56 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Sad to say there's no way in Thailand that he could operate legally even if he wanted to, thanks to the brewery oligopolies.

Totally agree. It is an absolutely nailed shut shop. Outsiders and outside competition is not permitted.

Unfortunately with the bad decison of the allowing of drinking on the premises, he sealed his own fate.

Seems like an asset to the country to me. I hope he is not treated harshly by the courts but I fear he will be.

Edited by Briggsy

10 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Spoil sport one in every crowd. No handcraft or micro breweries here I guess. The tax man wants his cut. 

Wonder who that member of the public was?

Of course not attached, one way or another, to the big breweries?

Purely a concerned private person!

1 minute ago, hansnl said:

Wonder who that member of the public was?

Of course not attached, one way or another, to the big breweries?

Purely a concerned private person!

He could have be attached to someone who know someone attached. I must quit repeating myself. 

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

One reason I enjoy going to other countries.  Fantastic locally brewed beers and local wines.  Thailand is missing out big time.  Tourists would love it.

As pointed out in other thread: you must drink leo or chang or sing. If ure a serf leo or chang. If ure a kaek sing. If ure a little higher on the ladder but far from hiso u are allowed to go for the cat pizz known as Heineken. If ure hiso u are expected to drink overpriced Hoegaarden or Leffe. Looooooool.

1 minute ago, SOTIRIOS said:

how to get rid of corruption in such a business climate

How about asking "general happiness" to invoke section 44 and enforce the ASEAN free trade agreement that was supposed to let there be free trade in wines spirits and beer.

"He was in the process of expanding his business when the authorities arrived and arrested him.

He was given away by a member of the public who said there was drinking happening on the premises."

He would be welcomed anywhere but here. 

In Cambodia, he would be selling to his neighbors and on his way to building an empire.  

Best of luck in the future elsewhere. 

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

Sad to say there's no way in Thailand that he could operate legally even if he wanted to, thanks to the brewery oligopolies.

There is a way, with investment, there is just a minimum size requirement, which to be fair is very big and implausible to most.

13 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I reckon this guys brew was way better than any locally made stuff. I loved my uncle's lagers back in Australia. He had a shed load of the stuff. Full strength and could drink it all night with no hangover. Try that with Chang!

Chang has changed if you haven't tried it recently, they seem to have removed the guaranteed head ache chemical that it was so famous for.