Sandstone cleaners

dageurreotype

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Buy yourself a cheap pressure washer and do it yourself.

After cleaning, you can buy and apply a water-proofing agent that has an anti-algae chemical in it.

KB

Been looking for this anti algae agent for ages.  Any advice?

KB
Been looking for this anti algae agent for ages.  Any advice?

Have a look at homepro Chalong. They have stone treatments and cleaners. Nothing ever keeps the algae away but if you clean it less it's win win.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

If chemicals are out of the question due to the koi pond, then you'll probably need to use a pressure washer and plain water to remove any existing algae and mold. 

The stone/masonry treatments sold at the home center stores are typically liquid acrylic, which after a few coats should seal the pores of the sandstone fairly well and make it easier to clean in the future. Probably need to re-coat every year. I'm not aware of any sealers/waterproofing available here that contain an anti-algaecide. 

20 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Buy yourself a cheap pressure washer and do it yourself.

After cleaning, you can buy and apply a water-proofing agent that has an anti-algae chemical in it.

Been there, done that Not doing it yet again. My 'guys' would scrub it all by hand in a fraction of the time and as for the sealant? 6 months tops and far too expensive for the huge area required. Okay. Now back to the question.

7 hours ago, sebastion said:

Have a look at homepro Chalong. They have stone treatments and cleaners. Nothing ever keeps the algae away but if you clean it less it's win win.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

I'd first used the exact same water based sealant I'd used on my antique pine floors in England. Great stuff for indoors in a cold/temperate climate, which this isn't. A book should be written on what not to use when building a house here as opposed to the 'old country'. If I knew now what I didn't know then, a reinforced plain concrete box with a self cleaning mechanism same Japanese lavs would be my absolute preferred choice. When first here I'd wondered why the Thais coated everything in a toffee consistency varnish (which still peels off anyway) and went for quality Western materials. Pah. The only Western material I don't regret splashing out on was the very good quality paint. Everything else simply rots/moulds in short order.

I agree with KB we use a high pressure water cleaner about once a year, a hyundai brand one we bought from home pro which has about twice the water pressure of the B&D one we used previously, works a lot faster than trying to do it by hand by a long way.

Its really easy to clean stonewash and concrete walls with this machine, costs 13500 baht and worth it 

There is a product called Bondcrete sold in Aust which is water based and excellent for sealing the surfaces on cement, concrete, stonewash etc, rawai hardware sell a similar product but it does not last long on stonewashed surfaces  

58 minutes ago, madmax2 said:

I agree with KB we use a high pressure water cleaner about once a year, a hyundai brand one we bought from home pro which has about twice the water pressure of the B&D one we used previously, works a lot faster than trying to do it by hand by a long way.

Its really easy to clean stonewash and concrete walls with this machine, costs 13500 baht and worth it 

There is a product called Bondcrete sold in Aust which is water based and excellent for sealing the surfaces on cement, concrete, stonewash etc, rawai hardware sell a similar product but it does not last long on stonewashed surfaces  

Why is it that when anyone asks a question on this forum out comes a veritable tsunami of unasked for advice 'do it yourself'. I've already done this and, given the pure acreage of bloody sandstone requiring cleaning would prefer to pay someone whose line of work is cleaning it, with or without a team. 

If you don't have an answer to my specific question, please don't answer. Jesus Christ!  

14 minutes ago, dageurreotype said:

Why is it that when anyone asks a question on this forum out comes a veritable tsunami of unasked for advice 'do it yourself'. I've already done this and, given the pure acreage of bloody sandstone requiring cleaning would prefer to pay someone whose line of work is cleaning it, with or without a team. 

If you don't have an answer to my specific question, please don't answer. Jesus Christ!  

You got your answer, high pressure water cleaner, that's what 2 of us use successfully

Phuket has a tropical climate with high humidity so expect regular growth of algae and mould

Who need or wants a team you do it yourself for free, its not hard to do, or ask a local for information, also not hard to do

2 hours ago, dageurreotype said:

Have you considered buying the pressure washer, but then just paying for some labor for the cleaning? 

Once you own the equipment, paying a laborer is cheap, so no chemicals needed, because you can have it cleaned whenever you like. 

2 hours ago, dageurreotype said:

If your read the thread you might learn something along the way, such as: What product should my contractor use?

I wouldn't trust a local contractor to buy the right product, and use it in accordance with the factory specifications. I would buy it myself, read the instructions, tell the contractor how to apply it, and watch him do the work. Anything less than that would be ?????

Also, you might try being a bit less of a pompous backside, you'll get better help.

• 5 months later...
On 24/01/2017 at 5:57 AM, KarenBravo said:

Most of the water-proofing agents I have seen for stone have anti-algae in them.

Just look around HomePro, or HomeMart.

Yes! I agreed with you that most of the waterproofing contractors have stone sealers that have anti-algae in them! 

The question was asked about sandstone not sandwash, 2 entirely different animals.

Foe sandwash Vixol always used to do a good job but it requires someone to actually scrub by hand.

Sandstone is nearly impossible to bring back to new looking as it is quite porous so much of the staining is deeply ingrained. If the stain does not go too deep then sanding the stone can help.

Archived