Payap University - Are Their Degrees Internationally Recognized?

Slated

Hey, that's some good marketing : "All most employers' care about is that you have a bachelor's degree" "the source of your degree is secondary."

Anyway, if a resume landed on my desk with a degree from Payap; in the bin it goes. Why should I assume they'd do a better job for me than they did for themselves when seeking an education?

You get an application from a Thai student who studies totally in English for 4 years, earns a Bachelors degree from it and you throw it in the trash just because it says Payap on it. Maybe you don't need Thai employees who have spent the last 4 years studying a subject totally in English. Maybe you just need foreign employees who earn their degrees from institutions located in countries where English is the native language.

Who your business hires is totally up to your organization but it sure sound potentially flawed. Chances are you might be throwing out applications of individuals who might have the ability to contribute greatly to your organization.

How many graduates from all the other excellent Thai educational institutions have gone on to be successful? How many have failed?

You misunderstand. The reason I would throw it out is, I would assume the applicant can not think well, is too dumb to realize what given situations require (like good jobs require good degrees) , and they are probably not a hard worker, as he'd have found himself in a better school if he were. (Look at the above posters for confirmation). If a Chula, CMU and Payap graduate send you resumes, you cull out the Payap applicant immediately and focus on the other 2.

i got a tv tuner a few month ago i love it but i realize i like to 1 day move to thailand and it sound prety neat if i can set up a http stream so can see my tv show in thailand

im ona good net work t1-100mbit 100% up time and my pwer suply can last 24hrs if power go out so no worry cable may go out but i can get local so if you have some avice on any simple way stream show do post some avice

usieng a winfast xp expro tuner

Of course, you don't get on the faculty of Chula (or Stanford) with degrees from third-rate schools. Payap and CMU and other unis in Thailand are not training matayom graduates to be professors at Oxbridge. I once had a tour guide who had just gotten a BA in English at CMU, and we met a Chiang Rai kid who was a freshman in English at Mah Fae Lung in Chiang Rai. The younger kid pulled me aside and said, "I cannot believe that man got that degree! I speak English better than he does."

Please, don't berate Storekeeper for being unconcerned about the high quality of academic standards at Thai universities. As I recall, this will be his second master's, and he's in his mid 40's, not intending to be a professor of Linguistics at Cornell, Columbia or Brown . Likewise, bungalowbill ain't no spring chicken, tho he's a lot younger than I am, and he wants to get a bachelor's degree before he's 50. Payap (and Sul Ross University in Alpine, Texas) do provide an education. Once you've been hired, performance is what counts. Many applicants do not show their GPA even for their first job. In northern Thailand, a master's from Payap opens doors.

casaundra, Chula is so fine it actually makes some list of best schools. Good for it.

As I recall, this will be his second master's, and he's in his mid 40's, not intending to be a professor of Linguistics at Cornell, Columbia or Brown .

University of Oklahoma my man ... and contrary to the belief of some not a single course taken online ... ever. I are be redneck edumacated.

"Go Sooners"

:D:D:o

Hey, that's some good marketing : "All most employers' care about is that you have a bachelor's degree" "the source of your degree is secondary."

Anyway, if a resume landed on my desk with a degree from Payap; in the bin it goes. Why should I assume they'd do a better job for me than they did for themselves when seeking an education?

You get an application from a Thai student who studies totally in English for 4 years, earns a Bachelors degree from it and you throw it in the trash just because it says Payap on it. Maybe you don't need Thai employees who have spent the last 4 years studying a subject totally in English. Maybe you just need foreign employees who earn their degrees from institutions located in countries where English is the native language.

Who your business hires is totally up to your organization but it sure sound potentially flawed. Chances are you might be throwing out applications of individuals who might have the ability to contribute greatly to your organization.

How many graduates from all the other excellent Thai educational institutions have gone on to be successful? How many have failed?

You misunderstand. The reason I would throw it out is, I would assume the applicant can not think well, is too dumb to realize what given situations require (like good jobs require good degrees) , and they are probably not a hard worker, as he'd have found himself in a better school if he were. (Look at the above posters for confirmation). If a Chula, CMU and Payap graduate send you resumes, you cull out the Payap applicant immediately and focus on the other 2.

That is a definite possibility. Maybe they are late bloomers. Maybe they didn't have good teachers to inspire them to excellence. Maybe they found school not challenging enough to even try.

Applications from people you would have tossed out.

Steven Spielburg - High School Grad and college drop out

Tiger Woods - High School Grad and college drop out

Lebron James - High School Grad (never went to college)

William H. Harrison - High School Grad (former U.S. President)

Andrew Jackson - Never finished High School (former U.S. President)

Zachary Taylor - Privately tutored (former U.S. President)

Abraham Lincoln - Self taught (former U.S. President who freed the slaves)

I'm sure there are others. Not everyone can go to the best schools. Those who do are not guaranteed success because of their affiliation from these schools. Some people are just born with a gift that requires the right time and place to manifest itself to the world.

Be careful you don't toss out the resume for the next Bill Gates (he didn't graduate from college either). You might regret it.

Hello again. I just scanned through some of the comments and thought I'd answer a few:

Spectrum:

Re "native English speakers (taking) English classes alongside non-native English speakers, as one poster above stated was his/her experience?"

ANS: You must be referring to courses within the English Communications or TESOL programs, vice the Intensive English Program (IEP). There are no native English speakers in the IEP. Yes we certainly have a mixture of native and non-native in both programs, as we do in all programs. This does pose a conundrum for the lecturer (I being one) as we must tailor the course to be sufficiently challenging to the native while not overly daunting to the non-native. Not easy, regardless of topic matter. But make no mistake--the course objective remains the same.

Re IELTS and TOEFL minimum scores, 5.0 and 500, respectively. We do recognize that a passing IELTS or TOEFL does not necessarily equate to adequate English skills. But you have to start somewhere.

Up-country et al regarding my comments about the value of our degree:

I should have known this would stir up some controversy. PeaceBlondie was on the money when he cited his own experiences in the "real world." We can debate this point all day. But do understand that I'm not blind. Folks are happily paying obscene amounts of money to attend Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and the like. So obviously, it must be worth something. What's our bachelor's degree worth? Well if an employer was looking for someone with a bachelor's degree, then obviously he/she would prefer a candidate with one as opposed to one without. And if they've never heard of "Northwestern" or "Columbia," would it be as valuable as a "Chula" or "Payap?" Depends on the employer I suppose.

Richard10365:

Agree with your sentiments. Btw, you left out Bill Gates as another college dropout.

Casanundra:

Just a point re your comments about Thai professors at Chula and their overseas degrees. We actually do have a requirement for our Thai professors in the international program to have obtained at least a portion of their college education in an English-speaking university. As they would have to teach in English, this makes sense. Another point: Where would you say most of the Harvard professors receive their degrees? You'd be hard pressed to find a non-Ivy leaguer on their faculty. So what does that tell you about non-Ivy league schools in the US?

Lannarebirth:

You sound rather anti-Payap and I'm sure you must have a reason. But I would say this—you've probably never met any of our students. We've got some good ones. And they're not all from rich families. Some have had to struggle all their lives to get where they are. Some are taking 18/21 unit loads and absolutely working their tails off. Some are doing this in a language with which they are not fluent. These are some of the most decent, hard-working kids you'll ever meet. And yet, these kids show up on your doorstep and you put their resumes in the trash? I don't believe you would do that. And if you've met some our students, I'm rather certain you wouldn't.

Thanks for responding, PIA.

Spectrum:

Re "native English speakers (taking) English classes alongside non-native English speakers, as one poster above stated was his/her experience?"

This was an error, later corrected by another poster, back on page 2.

I'd like to repeat my earlier statement that you cannot "pass" IELTS.

IELTS band 5 is extremely low for academic courses in English. Band 5 is a "modest user" , "has partial command of the language, coping with overall meaning in most situations* , though is likely to make many mistakes. Should be able to handle basic communication in own field. " (http://www.cambridgeesol.org/teach/ielts/general_training_writing/data/ielts_handbook_page4.pdf )

*This refers to everyday life situations, not academic ones.

Under the British Council IELTS handbook guidelines, at bands 5.5 and 6, English study is still needed for all courses (gradings from low to high : Linguistically less demanding training courses e.g. Animal Husbandry, Catering, Fire Services; Linguistically demanding training courses e.g. Air Traffic Control, Engineering, Pure Applied Sciences, Industrial Safety; Linguistically less demanding academic courses e.g. Agriculture, Pure Mathematics, Technology, Computer-based work, Telecommunications; Linguistically demanding academic courses e.g. Medicine, Law, Linguistics, Journalism, Library Studies ).

It is not until band 6.5 that further English study is not recommended and is "probably acceptable" for linguistically less demanding academic courses. Band 7 is "probably acceptable" for linguistically less demanding courses. Bands 7.5 - 9 (9 is native-speaker level) are considered acceptable for either type of academic course. Many teachers would advise students to get beyond 7.5 before undertaking genuine academic study in mainstream Universities for more demanding courses.

Band 5 students studying together with native speakers ? Could you give some examples of the courses they are taking ? (I could not quite follow your response below. I genuinely hope I am misunderstanding something here. ) Sorry, but reputable institutions follow the guidelines above. You cannot possibly be teaching material at academic level if band 5 level students can understand it. Not even close.

(TOEFL I have found to be a quite unreliable indicator of ability to use English, so no comment.)

What are the fees for these courses ? Could you give us some examples ?

We've got some good ones ...some of the most decent, hard-working kids you'll ever meet.

I am sure you have. Kids whose families scraped together the money for the fees. I sure hope some doors do open for them.

I hope the owners of Payap throw a few baht of the profits over to CMU and Rajabhat, so their (non fee-paying) programs can be expanded.

Sorry if I am harsh. I have seen too many "educational" cash cows of this kind. I am tired of seeing education become an industry, and good practice thrown out the window.

Edited by spectrum

We actually do have a requirement for our Thai professors in the international program to have obtained at least a portion of their college education in an English-speaking university. As they would have to teach in English, this makes sense.

Do they also have TEFL training and a high IELTS/TOEFL score ? Do they sometimes use Thai in class or teach exclusively in English ?

Edited by spectrum

Thanks for your reply PIA.

But i'd still like to know how you feel about a potential applicant that has expressed this point of view regarding graduate study.....

I could care less about the quality of the program. The easier the better. I just want to burn up those VA bennies. I do wish Payap had an international doctorate program though.
Edited by up-country_sinclair

casaundra, Chula is so fine it actually makes some list of best schools. Good for it.

It is ranked number 161 out of the top 200 on the worlds global University list and was the ONLY university from thailand to be listed

There are lists, and lists! It's not even in the top 500 on this list....Top 500

And even more crappy, every student who english is not native, must take a full english course every weekend with the thai students...even the fact that I have degrees from Australia and the UK....way to go, waste of time and money : -)
("kash")

PIA, is this correct ? Does every non-native English speaker have to take English classes and pay for them ? Regardless of prior academic achievement and IELTS/TOEFL result ?

If a student's English is insufficient, why would he/she be taking courses of any kind other than English courses ?

Forgive me if it appears I'm on an anti-Payap mission. I'm not. It's this trend in "education" I dislike. Many (far too many) reputable Universities in the UK, New Zealand and Australia (there may be other countries on the list) have off-shoots in Asia (and again, there may be other parts of the world) to bring in cash for the home operations. To some extent, some of the poorer nations are now helping fund the (genuine) education of some of the richer ones. :o

Payap would appear to be a purely local operation, though - is that corrrect ?

It is ranked number 161 out of the top 200 on the worlds global University list and was the ONLY university from thailand to be listed

There are lists, and lists! It's not even in the top 500 on this list....Top 500

I am talking about the Times list which was published in 2006 and is considered as one of the most recognised impartial lists out there from the educational institutes. The list you refer to is not only out of date in that it reflects the standing in 2004 but it was also published by the Institute of Higher Education, Shanghai Jiao Tong University which may have some bias.

Of course how they judge the ranking is another matter altogether but the Times list seems to be the most accurate one I have seen to date and actually shown Chula to be ranked 121 in 2005 but has since dropped to number 161 in 2006. If it continues it's trend then no thai university will be on the list in 2007.

Just a point re your comments about Thai professors at Chula and their overseas degrees. We actually do have a requirement for our Thai professors in the international program to have obtained at least a portion of their college education in an English-speaking university. As they would have to teach in English, this makes sense. Another point: Where would you say most of the Harvard professors receive their degrees? You'd be hard pressed to find a non-Ivy leaguer on their faculty. So what does that tell you about non-Ivy league schools in the US?[/font][/size]

Maybe more than a portion should be a requirement and perhaps the requirement should be to have obtained at least a whole degree from an English speaking university, preferably one of reasonable standing. Tell me, which is better, having a professor who can speak English because he spent a year or so overseas studying at a quality institute or one who completed a semester somewhere for the experience.

Your point about ivy-league universities just re-enforces my point about educational snobbery being very much alive and kicking and the fact that many of the Chula professors also have an ivy league education re-enforces this point. What does this tell me about Non-ivy league schools in the US you ask? Well not much is the answer because I don't really have a great deal of visibility to the US system but I suspect many of them end up teaching at ABAC or Payap... sorry about that last joke but I couldn't help myself.

Just a point re your comments about Thai professors at Chula and their overseas degrees. We actually do have a requirement for our Thai professors in the international program to have obtained at least a portion of their college education in an English-speaking university. As they would have to teach in English, this makes sense. Another point: Where would you say most of the Harvard professors receive their degrees? You'd be hard pressed to find a non-Ivy leaguer on their faculty. So what does that tell you about non-Ivy league schools in the US?[/font][/size]

Maybe more than a portion should be a requirement and perhaps the requirement should be to have obtained at least a whole degree from an English speaking university, preferably one of reasonable standing. Tell me, which is better, having a professor who can speak English because he spent a year or so overseas studying at a quality institute or one who completed a semester somewhere for the experience.

Your point about ivy-league universities just re-enforces my point about educational snobbery being very much alive and kicking and the fact that many of the Chula professors also have an ivy league education re-enforces this point. What does this tell me about Non-ivy league schools in the US you ask? Well not much is the answer because I don't really have a great deal of visibility to the US system but I suspect many of them end up teaching at ABAC or Payap... sorry about that last joke but I couldn't help myself.

When this topic came up previously, what I noticed (it's since been removed from the site) was that many administrators and faculty got their degrees from that very Payap University, with some supplementation from overseas, online, paper mills. As I say, the link I posted to that in the last topic has since been changed. So, does an online school in America count as an english language educational facility? Does Payap, since some of it's programs are taught in English?

Can anyone with a doctorate in intellectual snobbery please find the Time list? Or is it the Times list, plural? My daughter's major professor for both her degrees was an heir of Time-Life; maybe she can tell us. She passed up Bryn Mawr to go to Trinity. If you have to ask where Trinity is, it's 200 miles west of Rice. :o

Can anyone with a doctorate in intellectual snobbery please find the Time list? Or is it the Times list, plural? My daughter's major professor for both her degrees was an heir of Time-Life; maybe she can tell us. She passed up Bryn Mawr to go to Trinity. If you have to ask where Trinity is, it's 200 miles west of Rice. :o

Here it is, but you might need to register to actually view it:

http://www.thes.co.uk/worldrankings/

Thanks for the link, lannarebirth. It only took me 30 minutes...I see the Ivy League schools are in positions 1, 4, 10, 12, 15, 26, 54 and 61. But the variation in rating from 2005 to 2006 is immense. Columbia and Chicago jumped up a whole lot, and at the rates Rice and Vanderbilt are charging up the chart, they should pass Harvard by year 2009. A friend of mine (long haired, dope smoking hippie) calls himself "an intellectual Nazi" because he has degrees from Vanderbilt and a doctorate in engineering from Rice. My point is twofold: that Times list jumps up and down too fast; Chula may be number 100 or 300 next year. And, how many intellectual snobs in Thailand know Univ. of Pennsylvania from Pennsylvania University? Do they think U. of Chicago is a local junior college, and Northwestern University is in Oregon? Do they give due credit to Stanford, Berkeley, MIT?

Repeating: undergraduate general reputation is not the same as specific graduate schools. An engineering master's from Georgia Tech beats a BA in ornithology from Dartmouth. My cousin's two degrees from Dartmouth were followed by a Ph.D. at Michigan. It all depends

We're comparing durian and longan: some Thai professor spent a year or two in a good school before coming to Krungthep; and whether an MA-TESOL would help a middle-aged sailor teach English at a rajabat.

Go to a Thailand university! The classes will be in 7th grade English. It's an international degree really cheap. I don't see anything wrong with that. I was at CMU one semester and and ajarn at Mae Fah Luang 3/4 a year. I warned some farang that was a teacher without a degree about MFU to go as a student and he still went. One prof at a bar said "You won't learn anything there" and he replied "that's why I'm going". The humanities and liberal arts departments be 85% female of all the unis mentioned in this thread.

I was just right place at the right time but this experience is the highlight of my resume.

Edited by Tyree D.

Go to a Thailand university! The classes will be in 7th grade English. It's an international degree really cheap. I don't see anything wrong with that. I was at CMU one semester and and ajarn at Mae Fah Luang 3/4 a year. I warned some farang that was a teacher without a degree about MFU to go as a student and he still went. One prof at a bar said "You won't learn anything there" and he replied "that's why I'm going". The humanities and liberal arts departments be 85% female of all the unis mentioned in this thread.

I was just right place at the right time but this experience is the highlight of my resume.

I think your assuming the instructors are all Thai at Payap's International College. I believe it's a mix of Thai and foreign instructors. I don't think the classes will be in 7th grade English.

Q&A time. This is pretty random, so here goes:

QUES: "So, does an online school in America count as an English language educational facility?" (relating to instructor qualification)

ANS: No.

QUES: "Does every non-native English speaker have to take English classes and pay for them?

Regardless of prior academic achievement and IELTS/TOEFL result?"

ANS: Not true. Minimum IELTS/TOEFL scores get non-native English speakers into our international programs unconditionally. But most will want to take English courses voluntarily to improve their English skills. As a part of our general education requirement, students are required to take courses in a foreign language other than their native language. Students with weak English skills are encouraged to take English as their foreign language.

QUES: "If a student's English is insufficient, why would he/she be taking courses of any kind other than English courses?"

ANS: They wouldn't. They would be required to spend at least one semester in our Intensive English Program (IEP) exclusively.

QUES: "Payap would appear to be a purely local operation, though - is that correct?"

ANS: Payap is a private university that receives no government funding. It's complicated, but this is one of the reasons why our tuition is higher than, say, CMU, which is subsidized by the Thai government. We are on our own. And yes, we are purely a local operation. We have three campuses, all in Chiang Mai.

QUES/COMMENT: "I could care less about the quality of the program. The easier the better. I just want to burn up those VA bennies. I do wish Payap had an international doctorate program though."

ANS/COMMENT: We can't really dictate how a student thinks or what their motives are for attending. When I was an undergrad in the states, my primary motive was to graduate and get a piece of paper. As a grad student several years later, my perspective changed. Like anything else, you get what you put in. I can assure you, however, that the author of the above will not be able to waltz through any of our programs. Not unless he's satisfied with a "D" average (or worse) on his transcript. And no, we currently do not have an international doctorate program. But in June, we will have one in the nursing school.

QUES: "Do they also have TEFL training and a high IELTS/TOEFL score?" (referring to instructors)

ANS: No, but it behooves every instructor to try to improve their English skills as it directly impacts their overall effectiveness as Aj's.

QUES: "Do they sometimes use Thai in class or teach exclusively in English?"

ANS: No. All classes in the international programs are taught exclusively in English. Our international student body consists of about 36% Thai, the remainder from roughly 26 other countries. In other words, a majority of our students would not understand Thai.

QUES: "What are the fees for these courses? Could you give us some examples?"

ANS: Tuition is about 2,200 THB/credit, slightly more for graduate courses. Fees, books, etc. are not included. We also have a brand new international dormitory, which cost approx. 18,000 THB per semester.

QUES/COMMENT: (Richard10365, responding to a post) "I think you're assuming the instructors are all Thai at Payap's International College. I believe it's a mix of Thai and foreign instructors. I don't think the classes will be in 7th grade English."

ANS: You are correct on all counts. We have instructors from the US, England, Australia, Thailand, China, Japan, Myanmar, Malaysia, and others.

QUES: "Band 5 students studying together with native speakers? Could you give some examples of the courses they are taking? Sorry, but reputable institutions follow the guidelines above. You cannot possibly be teaching material at academic level if band 5 level students can't understand it."

ANS: It is a balancing act, certainly. Our program is not big enough to where we can separate the students based upon level of English proficiency. As an Aj myself, I have to assume that the students in my class have the requisite English skills as I do not teach English in my classes. If they cannot keep up, they fail. That sounds harsh, but it's also reality. On the reverse side (and rather inspiring), I've seen students arrive with barely passable English skills. By the fourth year, they're speaking English almost like a native. I kid you not. So you can't always predict future outcome by TOEFL/IELTS scores. You need to factor in motivation, individual ability, and so on. Incidentally, we do have native English speakers failing courses. Should not be a surprise.

The next class starts in August. I plan on attending. I'm just waiting for my certificate of eligibility from the VA so I can finish my registration process. Once I get it, the VA will pay for my school.

If that runs out, are there other sources of financial aid available that I can tap into to help me pay for my tuition?

ANS: (...) Our program is not big enough to where we can separate the students based upon level of English proficiency. As an Aj myself, I have to assume that the students in my class have the requisite English skills as I do not teach English in my classes. If they cannot keep up, they fail.

Why does the program allow students with IELTS scores of 5.00 to enter mainstream courses at all ? I have heard of many institutions in Asia (usually offshoots of overseas Universities) running "academic" programs for students with inadequate levels of English, but never as low as band 5. Plus, these programs had students with the same first language, so bilingual teachers could - and did - "cheat" when the going got tough. To then throw native speakers into such a classroom seems like a positively foolproof recipe for a lose/lose/lose/lose/lose situation (non-native Eng speaking student/native Eng speaking student/teacher/fee-payer/reputation of institution).

(There may be examples of individuals who succeed, most likely with a good deal of support via translation. I am glad the immersion environment helped some students achieve fluency in English ! However, in general, a policy of this kind is hardly good practice, as I am sure you are keenly aware.)

Why does Payap use the IELTS result at all, if not willing to follow the British Council guidelines quoted earlier regarding their use ?

If students are willing to pay, why not keep them in the English program a little longer ?

It just seems perverse and puzzing to me.

It certainly demonstrates the extent to which a degree in English is valued.

My last post on this topic.

Thanks for your replies, PIA.

Edited by spectrum

If that runs out, are there other sources of financial aid available that I can tap into to help me pay for my tuition?

Are you under the old VEAP program ? I only ask because I don't see how you could run out of money attending Payap if you were under the Montbomery GI Bill.

Are you under the old VEAP program ? I only ask because I don't see how you could run out of money attending Payap if you were under the Montgomery GI Bill.

I am under the old VEAP program. I sent an e-mail to the VA and ask how much I would get. They said a little over $500/month for 36 months as a full time student.

The exchange rate, however, has me a bit worried. If the dollar continues to drop, I might need other sources of income to pay my tuition.

Love those SOONERS too. BOOMER!

Just wanted to add that my daughter is a Payap Graduate. (last year) She loved the school. She now works in a ER in Thailand.

Funny, I did not know she was a "rich kid" :o

Edited by sendbaht

Love those SOONERS too. BOOMER!

Just wanted to add that my daughter is a Payap Graduate. (last year) She loved the school. She now works in a ER in Thailand.

Funny, I did not know she was a "rich kid" :o

Sendbaht, did your daughter graduate from the Payap's International College or Payap University? Although both are located on the same campus (for the most part), I don't think you can consider them the same. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just the method of instruction is different.

Payap's International College is taught entirely in English where as the rest of Payap University is taught in Thai.