Chonburi transport chief mounts "strict" check of buses and vans ahead of busy Chinese New Year on the roads

webfact

Chonburi transport chief mounts "strict" check of buses and vans ahead of busy Chinese New Year on the roads

1p1.jpg

Picture: Thairath

CHONBURI: -- The chief of the Chonburi land transport department was out with engineers and soldiers yesterday checking buses and minivans for roadworthiness.

Chatchai Thongmee started at the bus station where tires and indicators were thoroughly examined. The preparedness of drivers was also primary focus of his team.

If anything untoward was found the vehicles would have to be repaired before they would be allowed to leave, he said. Another vehicle would jump above them in the queue to take passengers, reports Thairath.

Later yesterday afternoon he was outside Robinsons in Sri Racha checking more vans. He had soldiers and students from Saraphat engineering school on work experience for company.

Said Chatchai: “We will be conducting checks all over the province for the busy Chinese New Year period. We are being strict in this matter following a number of serious accidents involving death.

“We are sorry to the travelling public for the inconvenience with the checks but it is for their own good".

Meanwhile, Thai Rath also reported that there were many speed checkpoints on the roads from the province into Bangkok. These were primarily checking up on minivans.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-25

No lift to raise vehicle, so as to check tie rods, pull wheels to check break pads, etc in sight. Where is a mechanic who knows where to look for potential failure points? Looks like about 10 people looking or are inside the van instead of doing a safety inspection. Wonder if the majority even know how to check tires for wear and balance.

I have heard the mini vans referred to as rolling coffins by some of the more observent drivers on Thai highways. Some rigged up on LPG even furnish the fire for the departed.

The van drivers, bus drivers and police are the biggest part of the problem!

Proper training/retraining for all van and bus drivers for highway driving and teach them to think safety first.

More advanced and actual on roads and highways driving tests/retesting for all van and bus drivers.

Change the silly 500-1000 baht to very high fines with long time suspensions or even losing their license for serious and repeat violators.

Make the highway patrol, traffic and city police perform the police duties they are paid for.

5 hours ago, slapout said:

No lift to raise vehicle, so as to check tie rods, pull wheels to check break pads, etc in sight. Where is a mechanic who knows where to look for potential failure points? Looks like about 10 people looking or are inside the van instead of doing a safety inspection. Wonder if the majority even know how to check tires for wear and balance.

I have heard the mini vans referred to as rolling coffins by some of the more observent drivers on Thai highways. Some rigged up on LPG even furnish the fire for the departed.

I'd suggest that they are not doing a safety check at all. More like the Chonburi transport chief is full of air and bluster, looking for a transfer to a higher position.

While inside I hope they untie the seat belts to make them useable.

And while they are checking the suspension (ha ha, they won't even get underneath as you suggest), I hope they'll check to see if it has been illegally "improved" by some backyard mechanic who knows better than an army of Toyota designers. I've noticed that many vans are a lot closer to the ground than they should be, and that's before they are (over)loaded.

Coffins, for sure.

5 hours ago, slapout said:

A well installed LPG installation is very much safer as a petrol tank or a CNG installation.