Why no Jacobs crackers in Rimping?

stephenterry

I used to buy Weetameal at Rimping  as IMO, they are the tastiest cracker available. Now they've stopped selling them, only to load the shelves with inferior brands. Anyone know why? And another issue, seems like more and more Japanese/Korean brands are invading this chain - the new elite, I guess.

Why would you ask people that would have absolutely no idea , and  yet not ask the people in the store while you were there, that could perfectly answer your question? Am I missing something?

Is it a riddle perhaps? If so, I'll take the bait...... I don't know, why are there no Jacobs crackers at Rimping?

I hope this isn't a new version of the joke that has the punchline "He must be crackers".

I will put my hand up.  This may well be my fault.

I was at Rimping just over a week ago to find an intellectual whore.  Unfortunately there was only one left and some old codger had already taken her to the check out.

Resigned myself that I will have to talk Brexit, Trump, and Junta with dog.  My dog has a penchant for Gouda..  I have a penchant for Cabernet Sauvignon. It was simply monstrous then not to accompany our choices with  Jacobs crackers (and olives....we are not heathens).  

Shop staff suggested that Intellectual whores were a bit scarce at the moment as well as difficult to store correctly.  It  looked like conversations with dog may be protracted, hence apologetically, I bought all the Jacobs crackers, as well as eight bottles of Red, a plentiful supply of olives, and a selection of imported cheeses (purely to retain interest of dog but also in the hope that it's tastes would widen which could add another subject of interest to our conversation).

My sincere apologies to Op for any trauma caused.

I must admit, I do have a penchant for these crackers and, as an aside my wife makes a superb snack with them using marmite, humous, avocado, lettuce, cucumber and tomato. Very tasty when watching a movie and slurping beer.

The trouble is, you can't get any sense out of the Rimping staff. Maybe 1 in 10 speak any English. And the ones that do, just refer the query to their purchasing team somewhere in a Rimping black hole, and never get back to me.

I was hoping one bright spark on here would know of an alternative outlet where they're on sale. A fairly easy question, isn't it? 

2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I was hoping one bright spark on here would know of an alternative outlet where they're on sale. A fairly easy question, isn't it?

It is a fairly easy question, only you did not ask it! You asked 'why' not 'where'.

It's implied, and strengthened/clarified by the above question mark. Now, if you happen to know where I can buy these, please feel free to respond, otherwise stop being a clever dick. 

Yes I complained on another thread this was one of the items missing along with Ryvita and Wala crisp breads - my local Rimping also runs out of Marysol wine, prune juice, cocktail nuts and loads of other stuff. Not sure what's happened to them recently.

14 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Yes I complained on another thread this was one of the items missing along with Ryvita and Wala crisp breads - my local Rimping also runs out of Marysol wine, prune juice, cocktail nuts and loads of other stuff. Not sure what's happened to them recently.

They seem to be catering for Japanese and Korean visitors, there's shelves full of products from these countries. I guess ex-pats products are being phased out. Which just goes to show that they have little idea who are their regular long-term customers.

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

I must admit, I do have a penchant for these crackers and, as an aside my wife makes a superb snack with them using marmite, humous, avocado, lettuce, cucumber and tomato. Very tasty when watching a movie and slurping beer.

The trouble is, you can't get any sense out of the Rimping staff. Maybe 1 in 10 speak any English. And the ones that do, just refer the query to their purchasing team somewhere in a Rimping black hole, and never get back to me.

We do similar in terms of snacks and initially surprised how many Thai friends like them and ask for them again.

But we use Carr's water crackers, a much superior product.

44 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

They seem to be catering for Japanese and Korean visitors, there's shelves full of products from these countries. I guess ex-pats products are being phased out. Which just goes to show that they have little idea who are their regular long-term customers.

Don't agree, plenty of western products on their shelves and I haven't noticed one product removed from their stock.

And why shouldn't Rimping expand it's variety of Japanese and Korean products? 

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

We do similar in terms of snacks and initially surprised how many Thai friends like them and ask for them again.

But we use Carr's water crackers, a much superior product.

Carr's are my second favourite despite the cost, but they are thin and don't taste as good as weetameal crackers.

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Don't agree, plenty of western products on their shelves and I haven't noticed one product removed from their stock.

And why shouldn't Rimping expand it's variety of Japanese and Korean products? 

You should read 9 above. 

1 hour ago, LannaGuy said:

Perhaps more seasonal, perhaps supplier can't keep up with demand at certain times of the year. Perhaps caught in customs. Perhaps...

2 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Carr's are my second favourite despite the cost, but they are thin and don't taste as good as weetameal crackers.

Horses for courses, I prefer Carr's for taste and I like their thinness and their crispness.

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Horses for courses, I prefer Carr's for taste and I like their thinness and their crispness.

as you say but I much prefer jacob's with my cheese and I can only say I'll be happy when that huge new supermarket opens in Ruamchok and, hopefully, they'll have these back again.. but maybe not... who knows   lol

it is my view that Rimping is a great shop but they need more competition to keep them focused and improving

Last time I was in Tops they had Jacobs cream crackers, never buy

the Tesco,or Waitrose brands, you would need steel teeth like that

James Bond villain,the Imperial brand are just about passable,but

not as good as they once were,

regards worgeordie

23 hours ago, stephenterry said:

I used to buy Weetameal at Rimping  as IMO, they are the tastiest cracker available. Now they've stopped selling them, only to load the shelves with inferior brands. Anyone know why? And another issue, seems like more and more Japanese/Korean brands are invading this chain - the new elite, I guess

Nowhere in your original post do you ask where can you buy the item, you ask 'Anyone know why?'

I think it is safe for you to now retract your 'clever dick' comment.

On 1/25/2017 at 10:32 PM, mamborobert said:

I will put my hand up.  This may well be my fault.

I was at Rimping just over a week ago to find an intellectual whore.  Unfortunately there was only one left and some old codger had already taken her to the check out.

Resigned myself that I will have to talk Brexit, Trump, and Junta with dog.  My dog has a penchant for Gouda..  I have a penchant for Cabernet Sauvignon. It was simply monstrous then not to accompany our choices with  Jacobs crackers (and olives....we are not heathens).  

Shop staff suggested that Intellectual whores were a bit scarce at the moment as well as difficult to store correctly.  It  looked like conversations with dog may be protracted, hence apologetically, I bought all the Jacobs crackers, as well as eight bottles of Red, a plentiful supply of olives, and a selection of imported cheeses (purely to retain interest of dog but also in the hope that it's tastes would widen which could add another subject of interest to our conversation).

My sincere apologies to Op for any trauma caused.

Perhaps your intellectual whore is not what others define and desire in an intellectual whore.

On 1/26/2017 at 8:51 AM, stephenterry said:

That sounds magic. If you ever get bored of the wife, get her to give me a shout. Can you put up a photo? Of the snack obviously, not the wife.

1 minute ago, sharktooth said:

That sounds magic. If you ever get bored of the wife, get her to give me a shout. Can you put up a photo? Of the snack obviously, not the wife.

Oops, I forgot the Epicure cheese which Rimping continue to sell, and an occasional import (by visiting friends) of Opie's pickled walnuts, which I an unable to find anywhere in BKK or CM. Maybe someone knows otherwise.

BTW, I think you would find the wife tasty as well. 

22 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Nowhere in your original post do you ask where can you buy the item, you ask 'Anyone know why?'

I think it is safe for you to now retract your 'clever dick' comment.

It's not a big stretch when answering the above question, e.g. it's temporary and will be on the shelves again soon, or in the meantime you can get them in Tops Airport, because the query is implied. And I would willingly withdraw the 'clever dick' comment' if it wasn't appropriate. 

23 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Oops, I forgot the Epicure cheese which Rimping continue to sell, and an occasional import (by visiting friends) of Opie's pickled walnuts, which I an unable to find anywhere in BKK or CM. Maybe someone knows otherwise.

BTW, I think you would find the wife tasty as well. 

Does she have a sister? :)

honestly, that sounds good. The marmite bit sounds to be the key?

3 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

Does she have a sister? :)

honestly, that sounds good. The marmite bit sounds to be the key?

Chalk and cheese - not worth knowing her sister, IMO.

But I do have a confession. Marmite is too runny (even if kept in the fridge) and pours off the cracker, so I compromised and use Vegemite which is stickier and nearly as tasty when combined with the above ingredients, and I agree, it is a key component.  

Chalk and cheese - not worth knowing her sister, IMO.
But I do have a confession. Marmite is too runny (even if kept in the fridge) and pours off the cracker, so I compromised and use Vegemite which is stickier and nearly as tasty when combined with the above ingredients, and I agree, it is a key component.  

You must be using the awful Aussie version of Marmite. The proper stuff is like contact adhesive (but tastier).

Archived