Currency Exchange

For those that have not travelled through the new airport, take note of the following.

I flew into the new airport several weeks ago, for the first time.

As i was travelling back to thailand to get married, i had a larger than usual amount of currency to exchange.

After picking up our bags, clearing customs, we headed into the arrival hall, expecting to find several currency exchnage booths, where we could change money in relative peace, as was the case at the old airport.

WRONG!!!!!

The currency exchange booths are there, but so is every tout, taxi driver, and other people waiting to pick up passengers.

It is a scrum.

We went to the currency exchange booth, changed money to Baht, all of the time people were looking over our shoulders, helping me count the cash. (this puts the mother in law out of a job, she normally likes to count my money)

I felt very exposed, with everyone knowing that we were carrying a lot of Baht.

It is only a matter ot time (if it has not happened already) until someone gets robbed at the airport because of this.

My suggestion to all is to exchange your money inside in the baggage claim area, where it can be done in relative privacy.

If anyone at Suvarnabhumi is looking at this, why do they not move people back behind barriers as was the case at the old airport?

Be wary of phoney customs people asking outside the terminal how much currency you have brought into Thailand. Always go inside the terminal to discuss any issues

as there are many cameras and police about. If you get ripped off, you may have some recourse.

Just a thought. Wouldn't you get a better rate in the city rather than the airport anywhere in the world :o ?

In BKK they afre real banks changing money not money exangers.

They are online and apply the same rates as any branches of the same bank around the country.

• 4 months later...
Just a thought. Wouldn't you get a better rate in the city rather than the airport anywhere in the world :o ?

They are online and apply the same rates as any branches of the same bank around the country.

Does the airport xchange banks have different rates than city banks? I want to get rid of my baht but don't know where's the best rate or is it all same-same? Thanks.

just be sure to do your research of exchange rates first, either on interenet, or if on the plane, check the business section of the paper.

and double count your money and check the math of the exchange booth guys.

in don muang they tried to shaft me several times.

In Pattaya there are one or two Money Changers who consistently offer better exchange rates than the established banks. And you can change any amount, whereas I have been refused exchange in a bank because I wanted to change too much / too little.

Chinese Thai places are the best - a little bit of profit very often is better than waiting for the big fish.

There are many exchange counters and some bank branches at the airport.

Thanks for the advice concerning a lack of security. I'm always very aware at exchange counters and ATMs about who is looking over my shoulder. Thai thieves prefer stealth. If they are noticed or challenged, they will back away.

Best strategy is to seek out a quieter counter on a separate level if necessary.

I'll be back in BKK in about a week, so this is relevant to me too.

So to sum it all up, is the exchange rate any different at the airport to what it is in the city?

I plan to change about $500 AUD at the airport & then transfer some more cash over once I open a Thai bank account.

I'll be back in BKK in about a week, so this is relevant to me too.

So to sum it all up, is the exchange rate any different at the airport to what it is in the city?

I plan to change about $500 AUD at the airport & then transfer some more cash over once I open a Thai bank account.

You'll lose a fortune if you transfer via the bank system. Fee for the transfer + a lousy exchange rate.

Not so sure paypal is a better option, but it is one to look at.

I still prefer to carry AUD & change it in LoS. The banks there give far better rates than in Oz.

• 2 months later...

Thought I would just share this.....

I found this currency exchange company to be quite good - i think it is called "Fast Cash". Orange colour signboard just a little off Rajdamri on the right (coming from Sukhumvit towards Pratunam).