Making a Driving License in the middle of a visa run?

I'm about to start the process of doing the Driving License here in Chiang Mai, and you need to show up on 2 different days to go through obligatory watching the "training" and doing the drive test the next day. I want to do it on Friday and then the 2nd part on Monday before I go traveling next week, but I also gotta go to Myanmar to get another 30 day exemption stamp. Will there be any issues since I'm technically starting the process on a different visa (which is exemption stamp) than the one I'm finalizing it with?

Are you sure your application for the license will be accepted? Many places will not accept one if you are on a visa exempt entry.

I see no reason why you could not do your border hop for a new entry between the two trips to get the license.

I hope you are able to do the crossing at Mae Sai. There has only been one recent report of them allowing a crossing for a visa exempt entry. Before that they had not been allowing them.

• Like 1

No, you have to provide copies of passport etc to start the process and maybe show it as a form of ID later in the stage but that's it.

Good luck, the is a online English exam question practice test if you Google for it. Helped me brush up on signs & some other rules.

Sent from my S7 using Tapatalk

What you will need when applying for your thai drivers license:

• If you can not read and / nor understand the Thai language, you are allowed to bring a interpreter to fill the forms and translate the possible instruction class and tests.
  • Valid Passport with Valid Non-immigrant Visa
  • Signed copies of the passport's first page, the page with the current non-immigrant visa, the page with the last entry stamp and the TM-card.
  • A certified letter of address from the applicant's embassy, or from the Immigration Bureau (document can not be older than 30 days).

Tip: The letter from the embassy is the fastest option, but the immigration office will provide this service for free. However, it will take them 3-6 weeks to complete and an officer from your local police station will visit your place of residence for verification.

If you are working in Thailand: the blue workbook, better known as your work permit, can replace either of these documents and serve as address verification!

• A doctor's certificate stating that the applicant is in good health, both physically and mentally (standard forms are available from most clinics and should not be more than 30 days old)
  • 2 photos, 1 x 1 inch and not older than 6 months (photo service is available on the premises).
  • Valid international driver's license plus signed photocopy or translated regular driving licence from the applicant's home country, certified by Embassy or consulate. (if available).
  • Note that 1 set of these documents is required per licence applications. However, when applying for both a car and a motorcycle license, an extra copy of the doctor's certificate and the letter of address will suffice for the second application.

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

Just now, Nick ZepTepi said:

I got mine in November last year in a tourist visa

I believe its a recent change. Every article points to needing a Non O at the very least. The other issue is I believe Immigration won't issue a resident permit on a Tourist visa. It needs to be done at the Embassy.

I believe its a recent change. Every article points to needing a Non O at the very least. The other issue is I believe Immigration won't issue a resident permit on a Tourist visa. It needs to be done at the Embassy.

Wrong.
Immigration will issue a certificate of residence on application but it takes weeks unless you pay for fast tracking.

You can't start the licence application until you have it.

If you have a home country licence that covers what your applying for you don't have to take the test.

Medicals are easy peasy from the local Dr near the licence place.

33 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Then I assume every single link you look at is wrong information where everything states a Non O is required?

Those sites have had the same info on them for many years and most are Bangkok centric. It says non immigrant visa not non-o. There are several types of non immigrant visas.

The point is that many people have been able to get driver licenses without a non immigrant visa. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

Wrong.
Immigration will issue a certificate of residence on application but it takes weeks unless you pay for fast tracking.

You can't start the licence application until you have it.

If you have a home country licence that covers what your applying for you don't have to take the test.

Medicals are easy peasy from the local Dr near the licence place.

And I could call you wrong. The immigration office I use issues a certificate of residence on the day of application and it is free.

9 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Yes they will issue certs of res on a tourist visa. Jontiem/khon kaen did in the last 4 months.

I got both my car and motorbike at Phuket in December on a SETV, with as stated IDP (confirming my UK qualifications for both) Residence Certificate from Immigration office x 1 copy for extra licence, 6 disease free doctors cert, was out under two hours with both licences ( as transferring entitlement onto Thai licences) only had to do reaction and colour tests, no video or exam required.

11 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Then I assume every single link you look at is wrong information where everything states a Non O is required?

If you look at the official DLT website, it states a 'Visa' for the temporary 1 year licence (now 2 years), but a Non Imm Visa for the full 5 year licence.

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/one-year-license/

• Like 1