'r' doesn't display correctly

tropo

Has anyone else noticed that the smaller letter 'r' is not displaying correctly. It appears shaved off at the top. This started last night. I'm using the Chrome browser, but it's also a problem in the Edge browser. 

There's nothing wrong with the display of my computer. This only happens on the Thaivisa forum.

Edit: Discovered the problem only occurs at 125% zoom, which is the default zoom I use to read the forum.

The problem is not my computer. I've tried it on my laptop and my PC, on two 24" screens.

The problem with the 'r' font shows at 125% zoom on multiple browsers. It's only a problem with default posting font, not with 'r's in quotes.

Here's another screenshot from my 24" PC screen:

r font at 125% zoom.jpg

It's definitely a problem with the forum's font. I don't have this problem on any other sites.

It's a small problem that doesn't concern me much at all, however, the forum techs should look into it.

I never noticed, but there is something behind this.

I just used my strongest glasses and also made two screenshots.

Desktop PC, 1280*1024 (yes stone age).

Win10, latest official,

This font (which one is it?) does not draw nicely in every zoom factor.

The "r" problem may not be as heavy as with the OP.

Look at the screenshots and >>>set zoom to 100% in the browser<<<.

At the 100% screenshot the "r" is somewhat "pitted"/"eroded".

200percent.png

100percent.png

So question to the techs (I am too lazy to evaluate):

What font is it?

Can the default font be changed?

6 hours ago, tropo said:

It's good to know I'm not the only one seeing this. This is a brand new event. It started exactly at the time the Adblock 30-second notification first appeared.

I've been seeing it for several days.  I haven't tried to nail down the cause or which programs/fonts/resolutions it's correlated with.  Yet.

On 1/31/2017 at 9:51 AM, tropo said:

The problem with the 'r' font shows at 125% zoom on multiple browsers. It's only a problem with default posting font, not with 'r's in quotes.

OK, let's see what it looks like on my laptop. I am typing this with the display at 125% right now and I am taking and posting a screenshot.

screenshot r.png

I can't see an 'r' problem in your screenshot, but that's probably because I have to change the zoom to see it.

Here's a screenshot of what your posted comment looks like on my screen. You'll see a problem with both 'r's in the sentence you typed, but not in the quoted text.

R problem 2.jpg

Yes, I see it. If this defective display of the letter r on your computer monitors happens only with web pages of Thaivisa, this is a complete mystery to me. So far, no other Thaivisa member has reported an observation of this kind.

6 hours ago, Maestro said:

Yes, I see it. If this defective display of the letter r on your computer monitors happens only with web pages of Thaivisa, this is a complete mystery to me. So far, no other Thaivisa member has reported an observation of this kind.

Yes, I've only ever seen this problem on recent Thaivisa forum pages. There are only 2 places it shows up on the forum. In all posts (not the quotes) and the top thread title line.

Example:

thread title line.jpg

On 2/3/2017 at 11:21 AM, Peterw42 said:

I have the defective r on my laptop, using chrome, and only set at 125, other zoom is ok.

Thank you very much, Peter, for testing and reporting this.

Try as I might, I was unable to reproduce this on my laptop. Not one to throw the towel easily, I now went to the desktop computer and lo and behold, there I am seeing the same oddity with the display of the letter 'r'

Full comparative test report to follow after lunch (Swiss time, six hours behind Thailand)

‘r’ display oddity: test report

Common test parameters

Web page: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/965985-r-doesnt-display-correctly/

Web browser: Chrome

Display magnification: 125%

Examined texts:

• Page menu line “Forum Home  General  Forum support desk  'r' doesn't display correctly”

• Text input in reply box, default size (14), no text formatting

Laptop

Brand: Samsung

Computer: ACPI x64-based PC

Display adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Screen resolution: 1920 x 1080

Windows: 7

Chrome: 55.0.2883.87 m

Desktop PC

Monitor Brand: Acer

Computer: ACPI x64-based PC

Display adapter: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 460

Screen resolution: 1920 x 1080

Windows: 10

Chrome: 55.0.2883.87 (64-bit)

Oddity

On the desktop PC, but not on the laptop, the top right part of the letter ‘r’ is not displayed clearly.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr    

Nope, still a problem on my other laptop, in Windows 7. This is the 2nd laptop showing the same problem with 'r's, only at zoom 125%

This laptop is actually dual boot Windows 7 & 10, with the problem showing on both. Next I'll test it out on my MacBook Air.

Archived