Parrotfish poaching Chinese tourist fined B100,000

snoop1130

Parrotfish poaching Chinese tourist fined B100,000

Yutthawat Lekmak

1485513667_1-org.jpg

Huang was taken to Chalong Police Station after being caught poaching the parrotfish on Koh Racha Yai, Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET:-- An officer from Chalong Police Station has confirmed to The Phuket News today that the Chinese tourist who was arrested for poaching parrotfish at Koh Racha Yai on Wednesday (Jan 25) has been fined B100,000 for his actions.

Lt Sakkarin Sangjaroen of the Chalong Police told The Phuket News today (Jan 27) that the man, Huang Yongjia, 35, who had two baby parrotfish in a plastic bottle was charged with illegally removing marine life from coral reef areas.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/parrotfish-poaching-chinese-tourist-fined-b100-000-60810.php#cZApixEFGygicgLY.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-1-27

Yet Thai people catch and eat these little aquarium fish every day. Seen them in their nets. When asked to put them back cos its illegal they just laugh and say 'We eat them" No fines for them.  Wait till it hits the Chinese media, they will have a lot to say, more tour cancellations

Pick mushrooms, years in jail, catch a couple of parrot fish in a plastic bottle 100k fine.

Kill someone in a traffic accident, 2k fine and suspended sentence. This is way over

the top but especially in relation to far more serious offences. I shake my head in wonder.

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

No wonder they are having a good laugh,some people create mayhem

and murder and don't get fined anywhere near that,

regards worgeordie

Fair really----------- if it had been a couple of paintings though he might have got away with it

2 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Yet Thai people catch and eat these little aquarium fish every day. Seen them in their nets. When asked to put them back cos its illegal they just laugh and say 'We eat them" No fines for them.  Wait till it hits the Chinese media, they will have a lot to say, more tour cancellations

My guess nobody will say anything----but even if they do it will not be broadcast

1 hour ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Chinese in , Chinese out , Chinese back in please so we can screw them over one more time.

The fine was a bit excessive I doubt if this guy will return. You have to learn the art of taking just a little and not killing the host so he can donate again in the future.

6 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

This is where hyphens come into their own. Just the one would have made clear that it wasn't the parrotfish being fined for poaching a Chinese tourist.

Lets enjoy them while we can. Shame to see them end up on a dinner plate like snakes and other wildlife. I went to a wildlife dinner one time when I was in my 20's boy has my thinking ever changed. I hope I do not have that dream again tonight where a beaver is chomping on my leg. 

On 1/28/2017 at 9:12 AM, jaiyen said:

At up to 50cm and their feeding behavior does not make them an aquarium fish, unless your aquarium is the size of Dubai Atlantis aquarium. The Chinese guy  probably didn't know that...

They are actually good to eat, have seen them at fish markets around the world.

Edit:

And it's not illegal to fish them in Thailand.

http://www.21food.com/products/parrot-fish-436060.html

250px-Bicolor_parrotfish.JPG

Edited by SpaceKadet