Thai Gov Hospital 1.49million Baht Bill For a 10 Day Stay

Chao Lao Beach

The context is obviously a medical evacuation on a private jet. All this talk about airlines is out of same. She was cheated by her insurance carrier, the Thai hospital(s) either didn't get approval for the direct billing or simply cared about her well being. It's strange again to me that a farang can get this treatment without prepayment. I would have thought they would put her in a pick up truck and roll her out at the embassy in Bangkok. You farangs come here and think the Thai's have an obligation to take care of your medical needs. Disgusting all of you. At least this woman bought what she thought was travel insurance. The insurance company should be outed and shamed for what it is. Excluding motorcycle accidents in a policy for a traveler to a country, any country, but especially a country in SEA should be criminal as in fraud. 

Edited by BruceMangosteen

19 hours ago, starky said:

True but you also need to declare your intention to be riding a bike overseas which jacks your premium. Hate to be a narc but you see it in indo, thailand and all over Asia people go there get pissed, jump on something they have never operated, dont wear correct safety gear and generally come from countries where people will give way to a motorcycle. Then involve themselves in behaviours they would never undertake back home. Im not saying she was any of those things but she was definitely not covered in this instance. So, no pay out. Her family should be paying not crying poor.  Zero sympathy here

Yep it does put the insurance up riding a bike and possibly you won't get covered at all because of the risk factor

Then a loophole to not pay up perhaps you'd also need an Australian standards helmet instead of those ice cream container jobs everyone seems to wear 

The context is obviously a medical evacuation on a private jet. All this talk about airlines is out of same. She was cheated by her insurance carrier, the Thai hospital(s) either didn't get approval for the direct billing or simply cared about her well being. It's strange again to me that a farang can get this treatment without prepayment. I would have thought they would put her in a pick up truck and roll her out at the embassy in Bangkok. You farangs come here and think the Thai's have an obligation to take care of your medical needs. Disgusting all of you. At least this woman bought what she thought was travel insurance. The insurance company should be outed and shamed for what it is. Excluding motorcycle accidents in a policy for a traveler to a country, any country, but especially a country in SEA should be criminal as in fraud. 

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Your facts are all over place as is your opinions of others ramble

Did you read her terms and conditions from her insurance provider? No you didnt 

48 minutes ago, upside said:

Your facts are all over place as is your opinions of others ramble

Did you read her terms and conditions from her insurance provider? No you didnt 

It's called ObamaCare, and the terms and conditions are set in stone. Motorcycle accidents should be covered and not an option. Pre existing conditions are covered and there should be a large deductible to prevent fraud and abuse. Starting this year, the Government won't cover extraordinary costs and therefore the premiums will of course go up. How difficult is it to understand that you don't travel out of your country into any other without appropriate health care coverage? If you can't afford the insurance, don't travel. I hope Thailand does in fact roll out the requirement for farangs to be insured to get VISA's, most definitely the longer term stay VISA's such as Retirement. 

8 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Please take a little time to watch the video and read the article before offering an opinion.

Sad as it is, the woman in question did not have an Australian motorbike license, did not have permission to ride a motorbike in Thailand, did not have Thai insurance (which I always thought was compulsory as well as producing your license...maybe rental company in line for legal action) in other words she was a complete novice carrying a passenger illegally.

No insurance company will cover anyone for such a blatant disregard of the policy. No insurance policy will cover someone who does not have a license.

Had she been knocked down or suffered an injury while not riding or driving, she would have been covered.

Common sense should tell you that if you are not qualified to ride a motorbike, then DON'T.

4 hours ago, Flustered said:

Please take a little time to watch the video and read the article before offering an opinion.

Sad as it is, the woman in question did not have an Australian motorbike license, did not have permission to ride a motorbike in Thailand, did not have Thai insurance (which I always thought was compulsory as well as producing your license...maybe rental company in line for legal action) in other words she was a complete novice carrying a passenger illegally.

No insurance company will cover anyone for such a blatant disregard of the policy. No insurance policy will cover someone who does not have a license.

Had she been knocked down or suffered an injury while not riding or driving, she would have been covered.

Common sense should tell you that if you are not qualified to ride a motorbike, then DON'T.

Interesting that i can at least recall one case when insurance covered costs , and i was driving without License. Nobody ever even asked nor tried to denied me coverage.

This was a insurance based on Kasikorn Savings Account, as supplementary .

17 minutes ago, thetruth revealer said:

Interesting that i can at least recall one case when insurance covered costs , and i was driving without License. Nobody ever even asked nor tried to denied me coverage.

This was a insurance based on Kasikorn Savings Account, as supplementary .

I would suggest that anyone doubting the requirement of an authorised drivers license should read this

http://driving-in-thailand.com/motor-vehicle-act/#03

I don't suppose there is the remotest chance that you can link us to the Kasikorn policy document showing coverage for an unlicensed rider/driver?:smile:

1 hour ago, Flustered said:

I would suggest that anyone doubting the requirement of an authorised drivers license should read this

http://driving-in-thailand.com/motor-vehicle-act/#03

I don't suppose there is the remotest chance that you can link us to the Kasikorn policy document showing coverage for an unlicensed rider/driver?:smile:

One thing are official rules another how they are enforced and applied , especially here in Thailand.

I was just commenting what happen in to me in the past, as example.

Im not into argues over Policy etc.

Neither im encouraging anybody to drive without DL.

And, if you need to read the Policy, go read the Kasikorn website and there is a link for the Insurance.

24 minutes ago, thetruth revealer said:

And, if you need to read the Policy, go read the Kasikorn website and there is a link for the Insurance.

OK, just spent the last 30 minutes going over the Kasikorn accounts and insurance.

If they paid out to you without you having a license, then consider yourself very lucky. The insurance policies are for personal accident only and the ones that cover you for riding/driving are not available as a supplementary to cash/deposits accounts.

The only reason I bring this up is that some lesser able minded people could read your post and say "OK, I don't need a license, just a bank account".

The Australian lady in question was a short term tourist and would not have been able to have a Kasikorn or other Thai bank account.

People have to understand, if you want to ride/drive in Thailand and be covered for accidents, then have the correct licenses and the correct insurance. I am only too aware that a large number of tourists and even Thai locals have no license and no insurance. That's great if they kill themselves but think of the other poor suckers that are involved.

But then, they are all perfect riders/drivers until they kill someone through inexperience and ignorance.

On 28/01/2017 at 11:11 AM, Sheryl said:

Medical evacuation for people who are seriously ill/injured  almost always requires business class..and, often, the removal of some seats. This is not a luxury, it is a necessity and part and parcel of med-evac. $36,000 is about average for a medi-evac.

Insurance policies vary as to whether they exclude motorcycle injuries, many internationally issued policies do not ... however all insurance policies exclude coverage for injuries sustained as a result of engaging in an illegal activity and driving without a valid license would count as that, so if she was the driver and lacked a valid license, that would explain it.

Costs in government hospitals can indeed easily go over 1 million baht, I have known much higher than that. This is what I keep telling people who think there is no need for insurance because they'll just use a government hospital in the belief all care in them is dirt cheap. That impression often comes from having experienced costs for something minor...but somehow people generalize that and assume  is indicative of all they'd ever need to pay.

I do not know for certain and can only take a running guess at this one, that considering how serious and extensive this woman`s injuries were, including brain surgery, it is possible the government hospital did not have the facilities to complete the medical procedures required and she was sent to the private sector for some treatment therefore increasing her medical fees substantially.

In Thailand if Farlangs become ill or are involved in accidents and not in fit conditions to tell which hospitals they want to be taken to themselves, the medical services will automatically take them to what is considered the top private hospitals placing them in the most expensive rooms, believing that all Farlang tourists will automatically be covered by travel insurance or will be able to afford the fees. This happened to one of my elderly expats friends. He collapsed in the street oneday, then woke up and found himself in the Chiang Mai Mccormick Hospital. He was only suffering from heat exhaustion but 3 nights at that hospital cost him 60000 baht.

10 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

I do not know for certain and can only take a running guess at this one, that considering how serious and extensive this woman`s injuries were, including brain surgery, it is possible the government hospital did not have the facilities to complete the medical procedures required and she was sent to the private sector for some treatment therefore increasing her medical fees substantially.

In Thailand if Farlangs become ill or are involved in accidents and not in fit conditions to tell which hospitals they want to be taken to themselves, the medical services will automatically take them to what is considered the top private hospitals placing them in the most expensive rooms, believing that all Farlang tourists will automatically be covered by travel insurance or will be able to afford the fees. This happened to one of my elderly expats friends. He collapsed in the street oneday, then woke up and found himself in the Chiang Mai Mccormick Hospital. He was only suffering from heat exhaustion but 3 nights at that hospital cost him 60000 baht.

The only motive is to to squeeze as much money from farangs as possible. Why to think of "they think  that all farangs have a gold insurance" stuff? They think exactly what almost all Thais think of farangs - those farangs have money and even if they don't - they must pay much more than we Thais do here in Thailand. Period. 60.000 for 3 days in hospital because of heat exhaustion? OMFG! Every time I come back from the hospital and tell my Thai gf how much I paid - it makes her laugh at me. 

P.S. Taking into consideration this hostile (in some ways) attitude towards strangers in Thailand - all the farangs indeed should be very cautious here and take a good care about their insurance and other related staff. 

Edited by Zikomat

On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 2:42 PM, BruceMangosteen said:

It's called ObamaCare, and the terms and conditions are set in stone. Motorcycle accidents should be covered and not an option. Pre existing conditions are covered and there should be a large deductible to prevent fraud and abuse. Starting this year, the Government won't cover extraordinary costs and therefore the premiums will of course go up. How difficult is it to understand that you don't travel out of your country into any other without appropriate health care coverage? If you can't afford the insurance, don't travel. I hope Thailand does in fact roll out the requirement for farangs to be insured to get VISA's, most definitely the longer term stay VISA's such as Retirement. 

Whats obama care got to do with an australian in thailand ? 

2 hours ago, upside said:

Whats obama care got to do with an australian in thailand ? 

It's just an example of how it should work. President Obama cared about people. These Insurance companies don't. The topic is/was how are the fees going to be paid and how did the insurance company get away without properly insuring this poor woman. 

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There is nothing to suggest they did not properly insure her. All insurance policies exclude coverage for injuries resulting from illegal actions. Which includes driving without a license.

So it is your opinion that if a person drives drunk, is injured as a result of an accident while driving, he/she won't be covered?

Just now, BruceMangosteen said:

So it is your opinion that if a person drives drunk, is injured as a result of an accident while driving, he/she won't be covered?

Not the originator, but YES.

People have to take responsibility for their own actions and not dump the cost on others.

I assume we can all read and as such will read the terms and conditions of our insurance policies especially the EXCLUSIONS. And what form of idiot drives/rides drunk or without a license or proper training?

My wife was a nursing sister for over 30 years and has worked in various A & E departments as well as surgical wards and seen first hand the results of these "it won't happen to me" people. It's not them who I am concerned about, it is the innocent by stander who gets mowed down by their stupidity and then finds he/she cannot claim against them because they were not insured for stupidity.

It is not a matter of "opinion". It is a clear cut provision in every insurance policy I have ever seen. Will not cover injuries sustained as a direct result of engaging in an illegal activity and in most cases there is a separate provision that also excludes injuries that are the result of intoxication with alcohol or drugs. Injury due to suicide attempt (or, in the case of life insurance, death as a result of suicide) are also excluded.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is not a matter of "opinion". It is a clear cut provision in every insurance policy I have ever seen. Will not cover injuries sustained as a direct result of engaging in an illegal activity and in most cases there is a separate provision that also excludes injuries that are the result of intoxication with alcohol or drugs. Injury due to suicide attempt (or, in the case of life insurance, death as a result of suicide) are also excluded.

Hi. I specifically asked about driving while intoxicated and whether this would cause the policy to be voided. Your kind reply doesn't address this question. In addition I would now like to add if you were driving drunk and the accident was not your fault, well? 

2 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Hi. I specifically asked about driving while intoxicated and whether this would cause the policy to be voided.

Are you serious, you wonder if driving drunk will void an insurance claim?

Not only would no insurance company on this planet cover you if drunk, it's also illegal.

It would not void the entire policy but it would make any injuries sustained in an accident that occurref wjile driving drunk (as defined by law) ineligible for cover. The policy itself remains in force and coverage for unrelated things still in effect.