can a non-member have coffee at the Gymkhana Club ?

orang37

Sawasdee Khrup, CM TV friends,

I assume that a non-member can only slurp their java there if they are the guest of a member.

But, on the off-chance that is incorrect, this flea on a tick in a mangy three-legged soi dog's ear dares to ask this question.

thanks, ~o:37;

A non-member can do almost anything at the club other than vote at it's meetings. You can play golf, cricket, tennis, squash and part-take of all of it's facilities whether with or without a member. 

Or simply sip coffee on the terrace over-looking the magnificent tree.

I believe there are regular cricket matches on a Sunday if watching mad-dogs and English men out in the mid-day sun is to your liking.

DSC03288.JPG

There is a members-only aircon room inside that no one seems to want to use anyway.  Certainly anyone can come, sit on the terrace, attempt to get the attention of their wait staff (who may be inside in the aircon room if it's hot) and order from the menu.  It is lovely surroundings.

13 hours ago, cmsally said:

Brilliant idea ! My friend is visiting from the States next month. She has been to CM many times but never the Gymkhana; she'll love it ! It's on our list !

While you're out that way, consider dropping by the Foreign Cemetery for a look around.  They have some interesting characters residing there.

54 minutes ago, NancyL said:

While you're out that way, consider dropping by the Foreign Cemetery for a look around.  They have some interesting characters residing there.

A good friend of mine Allen Tucker passed away last year and is buried there.

Please accept this as a comment on a mate and our sense of humour.

Allen was treasurer for the Foreign Cemetery Commit, he was a UK Chartered Accountant, Scottish Devision.

Way back when I first got to know him, He jokingly told me the tale over a few drinks, of one guy who was buried and then as folk where leaving his widow had a cement wagon in and poured the contents into the grave.

'Made sure he wasn't getting out'  We had a laugh over this matter.

When Allen passed away, about 15 years later, his widow carried out same procedure.

I was talking to another mate and was on point of saying 'Wouldn't be able to take my Stake and Hammer down' when he cuts in and says

'You know why they do that don't you John' ?

Er No.

Well every few year the river floods and they have had coffins float up.

I should have known as I was here for the floods of 05 and 11.

john

Always take visitors  its one of the few "green" spaces left in CM.

Sittting on the terrace near those magnificent trees has a great ambience. 

Haven't been for quite a while and my only complaint is the food is fairly average and the coffee even more so

Loads of potential there for a good operator who could provide a little more variety without  turning into a high priced dining experience

On 1/28/2017 at 6:31 PM, cmsally said:

Brilliant idea ! My friend is visiting from the States next month. She has been to CM many times but never the Gymkhana; she'll love it ! It's on our list !

Hmm.. I'd take a look by yourself first.   I really wish it was a nice, relaxing neo-colonial experience but the restaurant and service is just not good enough by present-day Chiang Mai standards. 

We are often in the area and I would love to have it as an option but as it is I wouldn't take anyone there unless they were also playing golf or using other facilities.

For an 'old Chiang Mai' experience there are several places on the river that do that very well, at any price point.  Ranges from doing high tea at the Anantara to cheap but nice places on the river near Gymkhana like Mamia and the new restaurant next door (Mamia's old location). 

On 1/29/2017 at 7:58 AM, NancyL said:

Yes, much like Thaivisa.  Some are even in better shape. :)

13 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Always take visitors  its one of the few "green" spaces left in CM.

Sittting on the terrace near those magnificent trees has a great ambience. 

Haven't been for quite a while and my only complaint is the food is fairly average and the coffee even more so

Loads of potential there for a good operator who could provide a little more variety without  turning into a high priced dining experience

Yes!

1 hour ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Hmm.. I'd take a look by yourself first.   I really wish it was a nice, relaxing neo-colonial experience but the restaurant and service is just not good enough by present-day Chiang Mai standards. 

We are often in the area and I would love to have it as an option but as it is I wouldn't take anyone there unless they were also playing golf or using other facilities.

For an 'old Chiang Mai' experience there are several places on the river that do that very well, at any price point.  Ranges from doing high tea at the Anantara to cheap but nice places on the river near Gymkhana like Mamia and the new restaurant next door (Mamia's old location). 

Yes, much like Thaivisa.  Some are even in better shape. :)

Yes!

No worries WTK  I 'll  take my own butler :wink:

Actually it sounds ideal for us , we both appreciate somewhere that hasn't been Nimmanhaemified.

We'll probably have lunch and then take Henry some flowers !