Ranong Visa Run for Tourist Visa Holder 2017

13 hours ago, shunshay said:

Yes I did. 

Usually I go to Penang to do my visa,  I take the train from Hua Hin but this time they are fully book for at least 2 weeks ...

Songkran is approaching.  I am surprised though that you cannot get a ticket to Padang Besar though.

• 6 months later...

Ok so I'm familiar with the 2 per year land crossing (30day entry) limit but can I assume it's 2 per 12 month period(not calendar year)

Also I would like to question the 'genuine need' (likelihood) for proof of a valid flight out of Thailand within said 30 days. When I came back to Ranong in February '17 I'm sure I wasn't asked for that, but wondered if I COULD possibly be asked to produce it ie if I didn't they could then refuse entry?? This came up in discussion with Liverpool Consulate lady this morning and to be fair she's only relaying the rule as she knows it. She also added that they can insist on seeing 20,000 bht in cash as proof that you have some money to exist? Any thoughts appreciated thanks

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, thecolonel said:

Ok so I'm familiar with the 2 per year land crossing (30day entry) limit but can I assume it's 2 per 12 month period(not calendar year)

It is 2 land border crossing per calendar year. That is January 1st to December 31st.

13 hours ago, thecolonel said:

Also I would like to question the 'genuine need' (likelihood) for proof of a valid flight out of Thailand within said 30 days. When I came back to Ranong in February '17 I'm sure I wasn't asked for that, but wondered if I COULD possibly be asked to produce it ie if I didn't they could then refuse entry?? This came up in discussion with Liverpool Consulate lady this morning and to be fair she's only relaying the rule as she knows it. She also added that they can insist on seeing 20,000 bht in cash as proof that you have some money to exist? Any thoughts appreciated thanks

They seldom ask to see a ticket out within 30 days at border crossings. You could be asked to should to show 20k baht but the rules state 10k baht baht for a visa exempt entry. Most border crossing have gotten less strict for visa exempt entries since the 2 crossing per calendar year came into effect on January 1st of this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Advice for entering Thailand at Ranong?

My visa history: 4 years in Thailand (about 9 month per year in Thailand) on Tourist Visas, currently METV from Berlin (I'm German).

I will fly to Yangon on 20 Dec 2017 and plan to spend about one week in Myanmar, traveling along the coast and entering Thailand in Ranong around 27 Dec 2017.

Are there any peculiarities? I will bring 20 kTHB anyway, what about hotel booking, proof of leaving Thailand (should not be required for TV, but who knows?), anything payable in currencies other than THB or Kyat, days or times the border is closed, accessibility of border crossing by walking or public transport?

Edited by ChristianPFC

42 minutes ago, ChristianPFC said:

Are there any peculiarities? I will bring 20 kTHB anyway, what about hotel booking, proof of leaving Thailand (should not be required for TV, but who knows?), anything payable in currencies other than THB or Kyat, days or times the border is closed, accessibility of border crossing by walking or public transport?

There is no fee for entry to Thailand. Open everyday of the year. Open early morning to evening (not sure about the exact times).

You take a boat from Myanmar to Ranong.

There should be no complications with Thai immigration.

It has been a while since I researched the coastal journey you intend making, but it was difficult at the time I checked to get permission (certainly if not traveling with a Myanmar guide). Flying to Kawthaung  was no problem, but a special permit was required to exit there to Ranong having entered Myanmar elsewhere. I suggest checking with a good Myanmar travel forum to verify the latest rules.

• 3 weeks later...

Reading closer for the original trip, a lot of vagaries come up (infrequent bus service, and when then slow; very limited choice of places to stay; and flights infrequent and expensive; boat trips depending on weather), so I abandoned the plan Kawthoung - Ranong and will instead shortcut Dawei - Nam Pu Ron - Kanachanaburi (and from there on to Hua Hin, either same day or after a night in Kanchanaburi or Ban Pong for sightseeing and meeting Thai friends).

Edited by ChristianPFC

• 6 months later...
Do I need a Burma entry visa too or do you get a one day pass(to Burma) for a visa run? 
Nope, as part of the 900 baht the Thai side take care of all that including transport for the short 10 mins bus ride to Myanmar Immigration

On 6/28/2018 at 1:12 PM, thecolonel said:

Nope, as part of the 900 baht the Thai side take care of all that including transport for the short 10 mins bus ride to Myanmar Immigration

I was going to ask that as well. Great news as I'm now ending my spouse visa and moving over to non-b and waiting for new passport to arrive at BKK embassy as well. Still have 3 pages in the current one, that should be enough, right?

Also wanted to ask where we could park out car? We will be driving up to Ranong from Phuket. Any hints on where to park and what ride to take for the border run? Do we have to do the Andaman club thing (wife will come with me) or in general what is the fastest way to do it? We want to come back to Phuket as soon as we can.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Poppadom said:
On 6/28/2018 at 1:12 PM, thecolonel said:

I was going to ask that as well. Great news as I'm now ending my spouse visa and moving over to non-b and waiting for new passport to arrive at BKK embassy as well. Still have 3 pages in the current one, that should be enough, right?

Also wanted to ask where we could park out car? We will be driving up to Ranong from Phuket. Any hints on where to park and what ride to take for the border run? Do we have to do the Andaman club thing (wife will come with me) or in general what is the fastest way to do it? We want to come back to Phuket as soon as we can.

There is some confusion introduced here. I think @thecolonel is mixing up Ranong with one of the land borders to Myanmar. There is no bus across the channel from Ranong to Kawthaung. There are multiple boat options. If you indicate whether you are looking for the cheapest possible solution, or whether a safer, more comfortable boat is preferred, we can advise you. The Myanmar border pass (if not included in the boat fee) is best paid in US dollars. You will need a $10 note in perfect condition.

14 hours ago, BritTim said:

There is some confusion introduced here. I think @thecolonel is mixing up Ranong with one of the land borders to Myanmar. There is no bus across the channel from Ranong to Kawthaung. There are multiple boat options. If you indicate whether you are looking for the cheapest possible solution, or whether a safer, more comfortable boat is preferred, we can advise you. The Myanmar border pass (if not included in the boat fee) is best paid in US dollars. You will need a $10 note in perfect condition.

Tim,

I'm aware of the boat only transfer and was asking for the quickest way to do it. Have already exchanged money and have a crispy $10 note. Guess Thai spouse doesn't need dollars, correct?

My question was more like about parking: where is it ok to park to have quick access to the transfer services and leave car behind for a couple of hours with a peace of mind.

Thanks.

Sorry yes I didn't read his question thoroughly, I was talking about Kanchanaburi(Baan Pu Nam Ron)

But I have done Ranong on the boat too, so I'm happy to help with any questions but I'll try to read more carefully next time! [emoji23]

2 hours ago, Poppadom said:

Ok, watched a video, I found somewhere else. Pretty straightforward. Looks like If I pay the 900 baht all-in fee then no need to bring USD along.

Be careful of random reports you find on the Internet, especially if they are not very recent.