Tens of thousands in U.S. cities protest Trump immigration order

webfact

13 hours ago, Credo said:

What nonsense.   There are very few ISIS or AQ members from Syria.   Many, if not most of them were imports from Europe, Iraq, and other areas.   There is no reason to ban people from Syria, or probably anywhere else for that matter.   

Do you think nobody knows who anybody is?   Do you think that there is a huge and growing amount of intelligence about the membership and supporters of ISIS.   Oh, and if you can't confirm that they aren't a member of ISIS, then don't admit them.   As it is now, an acquaintance of mine was to be re-united with his nearly 80 year old mother, who is from Syria.   Her home was bombed and his brother's were killed.   I really don't think she is a threat to national security.   Oh, and by the way, she wasn't coming as a refugee, although she had been screened as one.   She would be arriving as an immigrant and her son would be responsible for her care and maintenance.

What a mess this President is causing and the outcome will probably greater threats to Americans world-wide.   

As I said, most people complaining are ignorant or oblivious. I spent 15 years in the Gulf Region, including almost 2 years in Iraq and Afghanistan. I would like for us to help that old lady, but it doesn't have to be on U.S. soil, if her son doesn't like it, he can relocate.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/30/2017 at 6:19 PM, cnx101 said:

I wonder if their families were blown up in a terrorist attack would these idiots be protesting against Trump then.

I don't understand why Americans are so paranoid over Muslim terrorists from the Middle East and not the least bit concerned about the internal killers of Americans i.e home grown terrorist (both Muslim and other nutters) and the US archaic gun laws that permit any Tom, Dick or Harry to buy a gun and then allow their kids to take them so they can kill their teachers and schoolmates. If I were American I would be much more concerned about that mess but I suppose it has become so common now that nobody takes it seriously any more.

54 minutes ago, ResandePohm said:

I don't understand why Americans are so paranoid over Muslim terrorists from the Middle East and not the least bit concerned about the internal killers of Americans i.e home grown terrorist (both Muslim and other nutters) and the US archaic gun laws that permit any Tom, Dick or Harry to buy a gun and then allow their kids to take them so they can kill their teachers and schoolmates. If I were American I would be much more concerned about that mess but I suppose it has become so common now that nobody takes it seriously any more.

I think citizens from pretty much every nation is paranoid over Muslim terrorists.  There have been many attacks lately, some  with significant loss of life.

Americans are also upset regarding our gun control laws and paranoid about home grown terrorists.  We've had quite a few terrorist attack by our own citizens.  As has many other countries.

1 hour ago, ResandePohm said:

I don't understand why Americans are so paranoid over Muslim terrorists from the Middle East and not the least bit concerned about the internal killers of Americans i.e home grown terrorist (both Muslim and other nutters) and the US archaic gun laws that permit any Tom, Dick or Harry to buy a gun and then allow their kids to take them so they can kill their teachers and schoolmates.

Because humans absolutely suck at assessing risk.  It's number 4 on the list: 10 Ways We Get the Odds Wrong.

We prefer that which (we think) we can control.

If we feel we can control an outcome, or if we choose to take a risk voluntarily, it seems less dangerous, says David Ropeik, a risk consultant. "Many people report that when they move from the driver's seat to the passenger's seat, the car in front of them looks closer and their foot goes to the imaginary brake. You're likely to be less scared with the steering wheel in your hand, because you can do something about your circumstances, and that's reassuring."  

[snip]

The false calm a sense of control confers, and the tendency to worry about dangers we can't control, explains why when we see other drivers talking on cell phones we get nervous but we feel perfectly fine chatting away ourselves. Similarly, because homeowners themselves benefit if they kill off bugs that are destroying their lawns, people fear insecticide less if they are using it in their own backyard than if a neighbor uses the same chemical in the same concentration, equally close to them. The benefits to us reduce the level of fear. "Equity is very important," says Slovic, and research shows that if people who bear the risk also get the benefit, they tend to be less concerned about it.

Home-grown terrorists are supposed to be operating under our laws and societal policies, and therefore are theoretically 'within our control'.  We can't limit their freedoms without limiting our own.  But those scary foreigners?  They're outside of our borders (or ought to be, dag nabit!) and following who knows what hedonistic lifestyle.

14 hours ago, ResandePohm said:

I don't understand why Americans are so paranoid over Muslim terrorists from the Middle East and not the least bit concerned about the internal killers of Americans...

We are paranoid about BOTH. However, we can try to prevent Muslim terrorists from entering the country and have to wait for homegrown nuts to actually do something.

3 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

We are paranoid about BOTH. However, we can try to prevent Muslim terrorists from entering the country and have to wait for homegrown nuts to actually do something.

Read this about foreign terrorists.  The US has a lot more pressing issues to deal with. This isn't one.  He's lost the plot.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/30/politics/immigration-stats-by-the-numbers-trnd/index.html