? about vientiane passport dropoff timing

Hi i had booked a early AM flight this Thursday on Nok Air fly n ride from DM to Ubon with ride to Vient to get tourist visa. Now im hearing i may not have time to do this. 

My plan was leave DM to Udon 5:55AM arrive Udon 7AM. Take Van to bridge and then Van to embassy. I was under the impression i just had to make it to the embassy by 11pm to drop off my passport and pick it up the next afternoon.

Am i cutting this timing to close? 

I recently arrived at the Vientiane visa office at 11am and the place was almost empty. I was in an out within five minutes. I was application number 250 and I had to wait about 90 minutes for that number to be called the following day. I would not go there too soon for pickup if you have a similarly high number. The Thai tourist visa is currently free in case you didn't already know. 

Edited by LandOfWiles

2 minutes ago, fullofmax said:

Excuse me but is this true that the Thai tourist visa is free to obtain in vientianne at the moment ?

You dont have to pay the 1000 or 2000b for it anymore there ?

A single entry tourist visa (1000 baht) is free until February 28th world wide.

See: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/en/news/announce/detail.php?ID=407

• Like 1

Is that different from the visa-free one that is limited to two per year, as in, will such a visa not count against said quota?

The visa free one is not a visa, and that one is limited to 2 entries per year at land borders.

sent using Tapatalk

Thanks alot @ ubonjoe

I got another question, please.

My plan is to travel back the same day from vientianne to Udon Thani after I picked up my passport from the embassy which would be around 3pm ?

The flight would be 18:50 from Udon to Bkk. 

From my experience it is quite a trip from Vientianne city to the border and from there to Udon.

I did the trip twice with a government aircon bus from a market in the centre from the city to the friendship bridge and then took the mini bus from there to Udon.

Any faster ways to catch the flight ?

Thank you very much guys !

Thanks alot @ ubonjoe

I got another question, please.
My plan is to travel back the same day from vientianne to Udon Thani after I picked up my passport from the embassy which would be around 3pm ?
The flight would be 18:50 from Udon to Bkk. 
From my experience it is quite a trip from Vientianne city to the border and from there to Udon.
I did the trip twice with a government aircon bus from a market in the centre from the city to the friendship bridge and then took the mini bus from there to Udon.
Any faster ways to catch the flight ?

Thank you very much guys !

Get a taxi from the embassy to the border that will save some time. Also print out your Loas visa form before you go and fill it out that will save you 10 mins. I am sure you know but just in case you don't,You don't have to stand in line after you get your loas visa where all the Asian people stand . Just go the barrier you already have been stamped when you get your visa. Then don't get the green bus get a Taxi. Can you update please I would like to know if you do it in time. I always thought it was a bit tight myself so never tried it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 hours ago, juice777 said:

Get a taxi from the embassy to the border that will save some time. Also print out your Loas visa form before you go and fill it out that will save you 10 mins. I am sure you know but just in case you don't,You don't have to stand in line after you get your loas visa where all the Asian people stand . Just go the barrier you already have been stamped when you get your visa. Then don't get the green bus get a Taxi. Can you update please I would like to know if you do it in time. I always thought it was a bit tight myself so never tried it.

What do you mean by "print out your laos visa form" ?

Are you talking about the arival or the departure ? In case you talk about the arival, I didnt know that, thanks.

Also didnt know that I dont have to stand in line 5 minutes after I get my Laos Visa. I can just walk next to the line and pass the small office where the officer sits who checks the passport ?

If you mean If I did it in time regarding arival, I can tell you that I did it already two times in the past with the 7am flight from thailion from bkk to udon.I was able to apply for a new SETV at the embassy just in time. I just never took the 18:30pm airasia flight from udon to bkk but the 22pm flight from udon to bkk with thailion. This is the crucial point at this journey whether I can get to the airport in time or not.

By the way another question came to my mind (sorry, if thats too much questioning without a new thread but I thought it fits in here).

I was 3 times in vientianne to get a new SETV in the past 2 1/2 years. The last time is about 5 months ago and all the 3 visas were in my old passport. I got myself a new one in my homecountry (germany) 1 month ago and there is just one visa exempt entry in it yet.

I will be fine since I have a new passport right ?

Edited by fullofmax

What do you mean by "print out your laos visa form" ?
Are you talking about the arival or the departure ? In case you talk about the arival, I didnt know that, thanks.
Also didnt know that I dont have to stand in line 5 minutes after I get my Laos Visa. I can just walk next to the line and pass the small office where the officer sits who checks the passport ?

If you mean If I did it in time regarding arival, I can tell you that I did it already two times in the past with the 7am flight from thailion from bkk to udon. I just never took the 18:30pm airasia flight from udon to bkk but the 22pm flight from udon to bkk with thailion. This is the crucial point at this journey [emoji14]

Yes I mean visa application form you still have to ask for your arrival card that you keep in your passport. But I suppose you could ask for 2 and keep one for next time (I always forget).

Then as soon as you get you visa just walk past the queue of Asian people where they are getting there passport stamped. And then show the next immigration officer at barrier they will let you through.

5 mins is quick I spent over 30 mins the first time in that line lol.

Good to know you can make that flight on the way there. Please let me know if you make it back in time after picking up your visa.