Returning IT products in Thailand

jdf2231

I recently purchased an Acer Laptop from IT city and it seems there's a hardware problem with it. I guess it's fine if one wants to install Windows, but it was supposed to come with Linux, which I intend to use.

I asked the store person to boot the laptop, and after around 20 mins (I walked around and came back) he tells me there's no OS installed. I purchased it anyway (big mistake) despite the fact that it didn't come with pre-installed Linux.

I've been trying for days to install Linux, but it doesn't boot because of compatibility issues with the hardware. I want to return it now, and willing to pay for another laptop (Dell or HP). Do these stores accept returns without any strings attached? What if I purchase something cheaper than this laptop, will they refund the balance?

TL;DR : bought a laptop, want to return it in exchange for new one. Can I ask for money back or take home another replacement laptop?

> Ubuntu is on the HD but it never boots past the purple screen
> Linux is on the USb but doesn't boot past the GRUB menu

I've searched all the forums and tried all the methods, toggled all the settings, but none worked.

I now have LM 18 on my USB (I used Rufus to burn the ISO) and it so happens that if I boot 10 times, Linux may load just once! The problem starts after the Boot screen. I have 2 options, "Linux" and "Linux (Compatibility mode) and none of them take me to the LM home screen; it simply hangs. I'm so eager to use Linux and I don't want to resort to Windows.

Specs:
Intel Core i3-6100U
Intel HD Graphics 520
8GB DDR4 Memory
256GB SSD

I've set a supervisor password, enabled/disabled secure boot, set the mode to UEFI/Legacy and used every combination, but none works. I've just been able to boot Linux once, and after that, no matter how much I tried, it just got stuck after the GRUB menu. Linux did work, just once. It worked well, the system was snappy.

All this happened while the USB was plugged in, the Wi-Fi worked, I was on Youtube as well. When I tried to start LM today, I was greeted by a blank screen.

I will be going to the store to see what can be done though. I'd probably take a Dell...

I think there is a legal thing in Thailand saying you can return within a certain number of days, but not sure. Lazada has it on their web site I think.

Anyway, if you go back to the store with all the packaging intact, the laptop in pristine untouched condition, tell them the situation and that you want a slightly more expensive laptop of another brand that you already chosen, I think the store might be accommodating. I did it with a DDR disk that I bought that was too small, brought it back with package opened already and begged them for a bigger more expensive one and it worked.

Check Ubuntu site for compatible (tested) laptops before you buy.

I would actually first install windows 10 and see if that works. If it works probably no hardware problems, just compatibility issues which could be overcome with the right tools.

But if windows 10 does not work, take it back to the shop, tell them it is not working and ask them to install windows 10 for you (they always have OEM at the shop). When they fail, voila ask them for a replacement.

Edited by AlQaholic

1 hour ago, AlQaholic said:

I think there is a legal thing in Thailand saying you can return within a certain number of days, but not sure. Lazada has it on their web site I think.

Anyway, if you go back to the store with all the packaging intact, the laptop in pristine untouched condition, tell them the situation and that you want a slightly more expensive laptop of another brand that you already chosen, I think the store might be accommodating. I did it with a DDR disk that I bought that was too small, brought it back with package opened already and begged them for a bigger more expensive one and it worked.

Check Ubuntu site for compatible (tested) laptops before you buy.

I would actually first install windows 10 and see if that works. If it works probably no hardware problems, just compatibility issues which could be overcome with the right tools.

But if windows 10 does not work, take it back to the shop, tell them it is not working and ask them to install windows 10 for you (they always have OEM at the shop). When they fail, voila ask them for a replacement.

I asked my Thai friend to call them and request for an exchange. They agreed to it and I went there, showed them the laptop. Their technician tried to install Linux but it didn't boot and they understood that it was a hardware problem (ACPI issue with Acer laptops). I had to pay 2,000 THB more and take a Dell which came with pre-installed Ubuntu.

I could have asked them to install Win10 on the earlier laptop but I wasn't sure if it would be a genuine copy or not. Moreover, I wanted a non Windows laptop because I intend to use Linux. I didn't know they had OEM versions of the OS. I purchased this from IT City and the staff were polite with me, they accepted my return and I went out with a Dell. :)

4 minutes ago, jdf2231 said:

I asked my Thai friend to call them and request for an exchange. They agreed to it and I went there, showed them the laptop. Their technician tried to install Linux but it didn't boot and they understood that it was a hardware problem (ACPI issue with Acer laptops). I had to pay 2,000 THB more and take a Dell which came with pre-installed Ubuntu.

I could have asked them to install Win10 on the earlier laptop but I wasn't sure if it would be a genuine copy or not. Moreover, I wanted a non Windows laptop because I intend to use Linux. I didn't know they had OEM versions of the OS. I purchased this from IT City and the staff were polite with me, they accepted my return and I went out with a Dell. :)

Good for you, all well.

My point with installing Windows by the shop was not to keep it installed (very easy to uninstall and replace with Linux) but to show the shop that there was actually a problem with the hardware, point using Windows rather than Linux was that it is usually easier for the shop to install Windows 10, just to prove the hardware problem, and many shops doesn't even know what Linux is.