Question to Ubonjoe

Hi Ubonjoe,

I have a Dutch friend resident in Spain who has a visa problem. Last year he was in Thailand on a Non Immigrant OA visa issued in Madrid which he extended end of June last year in Malaysia which was then valid for another year until July 2017. On July 4, 2016 he went back to Spain but forgot to obtain a re-entry visa prior his departure, so when he returned with his Thai girlfriend to Thailand yesterday morning he was issued with a visa on arrival, 30 days only! His girlfriend 's father had died just last month, so she would like to stay a bit longer than just 30 days in Thailand, the couple had planned to stay here for six months.

Dear Ubonjoe, what are his options? Can he get a tourist visa here nearby somewhere and then extend for another 2 months? With the month he has now, he could at least stay here for 5 months. Your help is very much appreciated!

Edited by Dario

Hi and thanks Lite Beer, wouldn't it be possible to obtain a double entry Tourist Visa, based on his former Non Immigrant OA visa? Where is the best place (best chance) to obtain a Tourist Visa?

3 minutes ago, Dario said:

Hi and thanks Lite Beer, wouldn't it be possible to obtain a double entry Tourist Visa, based on his former Non Immigrant OA visa? Where is the best place (best chance) to obtain a Tourist Visa?

Double entry tourist visas were abolished at the end of 2015, so no. His previous Non-Imm OA makes no difference to what ever he now applies for. 

He can get a 30 day extension of his 30 day visa exempt entry at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht.

Then a apply for a single entry tourist visa at a nearby embassy or consulate. Then extend the 60 day entry from it for 30 days at immigration.

Then he could do a border hop for a 30 day entry and a 30 day extension of it it he needs more time.

3 minutes ago, Dario said:

Thanks a lot Ubonjoe. May I ask where you would apply for a single tourist visa. Savannaket? 

Vientiane would be a good choice.

Savannakhet has been recently started asking for tickets out of the country and financial proof.

8 minutes ago, jpinx said:

If the friend qualifies for retirement (over 50 plus fairly straightforward financials)  he can get an O visa and extend it without leaving Thailand. 

jpinx, thanks a million. I just talked with my friend and he told me that he has already since about three years permanently 800'000 Baht (or even more) on a Thai bank account. His age is 65. So according to your post he would qualify for a retirement visa.  Can you please tell us how he would proceed now exactly, having now a 30 day exempt visa issued yesterday 30 JAN 2017. Thanks in advance. 

To Ubonjoe: can you second what jpinx writes?

With at least 15 days remaining on his stay he can apply for a change of Visa to a Non Imm O Visa.

This would probably mean two trips to Bangkok. 2,000 Baht fee.

He could then apply for a 12 month extension for retirement at Immigration. 1,900 Baht fee.

It may be easier to get a Non Imm O Visa from Vientiene.

Then apply for the extension.

Edited by Lite Beer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dario said:

jpinx, thanks a million. I just talked with my friend and he told me that he has already since about three years permanently 800'000 Baht (or even more) on a Thai bank account. His age is 65. So according to your post he would qualify for a retirement visa.  Can you please tell us how he would proceed now exactly, having now a 30 day exempt visa issued yesterday 30 JAN 2017. Thanks in advance. 

He could apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at a immigration office. He will need to show his bank book and a letter from the bank. He must do it prior to having 15 days remaining on his entry. Not all immigration offices can accept the application. Where is he at now?

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa he could apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement. He would again need his bank book and the letter from the bank.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

He could apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at a immigration office. He will need to show his bank book and a letter from the bank. He must do it prior to having 15 days remaining on his entry. Not all immigration offices can accept the application. Where is he at now?

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa he could apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement. He would again need his bank book and the letter from the bank.

Super!!! He is now in Bangkok to sort out his visa situation. So he could prepare the required documents say today and apply tomorrow morning?!

Adding to words from UJ, when getting the Extension, get a re-entry permit anyway - just in case.   Extensions are a little bit of a runaround to get, and you don't want to lose it by leaving thailand  without the re-entry permit in hand.  They can be got at airports too, but forgetting is too simple.....

14 minutes ago, Dario said:

Super!!! He is now in Bangkok to sort out his visa situation. So he could prepare the required documents say today and apply tomorrow morning?!

Yes he could. He can get the bank letter and his bank book updated at a branch bank (most major banks have them there) on the ground floor at Chaeng Wattana immigration. They will also want a letter from the bank confirming the funds came from abroad.

He will need a completed a TM87 form with a 4 X 6 cm photo attached. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm87.pdf

I assume he has a standard saving account or a fixed term account that allows him to access the funds without delay.

Hello dear all, many thanks for your advice and directions. I am the Dutchy needing to obtain a long Thailand stay visa after letting my Non Resident O-A valid until September 2016 visa getting expired.

Today I was at the Bangkok Immigration office trying hard and doing all without any luck. Since November 2015 I had a police certificate residence in Hat Yai until 4 July 2016.

I could not extend / renew this O-A visa because only 30 days or less before expiry I was told I could do that, so at the end effectively expiring this visa. At the end of June I made the mistake going in and out of Malaysia thinking the new 1 year entry stamp until July 2017 would do the the extension.

Coming from my home in Spain 30-01-2017 the Bangkok customs only gave me a 30 day stay stamp while needing to stay some 4 to 5 months.

Later the Bangkok immigration office told me to go Hat Yai since there was my last residence which residence I unfortunately already cancelled.

Having explained my situation and reading all the very much appreciated advice and wanting to follow this, my question is "how critical / mandatory in all this is now not having a formal address of residence while just wanting to use these 4 months to obtain this residence of some kind". 

Hoping to soon you much needed further direction, I remain yours all truly, Aronic

I agree with Lite Beer, as you have found Immigration wants you to "jump through hoops" if they are to issue you with a Non-Imm. visa in Bangkok. Apparently embassies in adjacent countries issue visas without much proof of bone-fides so get one of those and secure a 90 day stay initially then work from there.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

11 hours ago, Aronic said:

Having explained my situation and reading all the very much appreciated advice and wanting to follow this, my question is "how critical / mandatory in all this is now not having a formal address of residence while just wanting to use these 4 months to obtain this residence of some kind". 

If you are only want to stay for 4 months you could do it on a tourist visa or visa exempt entries.

You can extend your 30 day entry for 30 days at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht and/or  go out for a tourist visa that will allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days or leave and re-enter the country to get a new 30 day entry and then a 30 day extension of it.