Internet Access At Huay Kaew Apt,

StefanH

OK,

it is all nice and good here, but connection to the NET sucks....

Need to keep connected to Europe via SKYPE etc. I am really thinking to change accomodation because of the lousy bandwith....

But have to find better place first.....

Any recommendations ?????

( e.g. needed 1ß minutes to get connected to unload above Message)

> Need to keep connected to Europe via SKYPE etc. I am really thinking to change

> accomodation because of the lousy bandwith....

How about just getting your own ADSL connection and happily stay where you are? If you are moving every time Internet gets shaky then you'd be a virtual nomad.

This is a major issue for me also.

I take my laptop to the net cafe, but would like to find a place with a a connection good enough for my real-time work internet needs.

I stay close to Kad Seun Kaw (not at Huay Kaew Apt), but the conn there is not suitable for real time net useage. And the manger won't allow me to pay for my own phone line which is extremely frustrating.

They are now pulling the same trick with ADSL as earlier with dial-up. Back then, many places required you made phone calls and connected to dialup internet through their local phone exchange since they took a cut of the fee for each phone call. Now they typically have installed one Internet connection for the entire building, and as a result were able to raise the rent - but fail to realize [don't care about] that people's internet usage varies and that some people want the best available...

I managed to strike a deal with the management at my previous condo by offering to pay them 300 baht per month in exchange for letting me install, use and pay my own phone line. That way they still made their precious buck - perhaps other places would be willing to do the same.

Edited by meadish_sweetball

I take my laptop to the net cafe, but would like to find a place with a a connection good enough for my real-time work internet needs.

I stay close to Kad Seun Kaw (not at Huay Kaew Apt), but the conn there is not suitable for real time net useage. And the manger won't allow me to pay for my own phone line which is extremely frustrating.

Perhaps you need to read your rental agreement (you might already have done this) as I cannot see how they can prevent you having your own direct line.

OK I have my own apartment, and I have a TT&T line and a TOT line. I got the 2nd line before ADSL became widely available and still wanted to be in contact (or contactable) by telephone whilst "on line" with dial up modem.

I am happy with my current set up.

Ask them if they'll let you run a true cable line in. I've got True 1024/512 at my office on Wua Lai and in my apartment. Each are 890 THB per month. Both times no installation fee and free cable modem. One caveat, when it's regularly rainy, the line can be a bit unpredictable, say a few down hours every three or four days from April to Sep.

I run Vonage to the states on both and they work perfectly. I also call Europe off and on, Ireland, Germany, Switzerland. Not using Skype, but I presume if Vonage is steady, skype will be, unless True does some blocking that affects skype, not sure.

Edited by calibanjr.

They are now pulling the same trick with ADSL as earlier with dial-up. Back then, many places required you made phone calls and connected to dialup internet through their local phone exchange since they took a cut of the fee for each phone call. Now they typically have installed one Internet connection for the entire building, and as a result were able to raise the rent - but fail to realize [don't care about] that people's internet usage varies and that some people want the best available...

I managed to strike a deal with the management at my previous condo by offering to pay them 300 baht per month in exchange for letting me install, use and pay my own phone line. That way they still made their precious buck - perhaps other places would be willing to do the same.

Perhaps you need to read your rental agreement (you might already have done this) as I cannot see how they can prevent you having your own direct line.

OK I have my own apartment, and I have a TT&T line and a TOT line. I got the 2nd line before ADSL became widely available and still wanted to be in contact (or contactable) by telephone whilst "on line" with dial up modem.

I am happy with my current set up.

I tried to get them to let me, but to no avail. They said they can't install it because there was no space for the wires or some crap. In any case, it's a no-go. I was as persistent as I could be short of becoming violent (and i've been frustrated enough to feel like doing this...)

Ask them if they'll let you run a true cable line in. I've got True 1024/512 at my office on Wua Lai and in my apartment. Each are 890 THB per month. Both times no installation fee and free cable modem. One caveat, when it's regularly rainy, the line can be a bit unpredictable, say a few down hours every three or four days from April to Sep.

I run Vonage to the states on both and they work perfectly. I also call Europe off and on, Ireland, Germany, Switzerland. Not using Skype, but I presume if Vonage is steady, skype will be, unless True does some blocking that affects skype, not sure.

No cables. No wires. They'll have none of that.

Plus my apptment is too expensive anyway. Studio for 7k with bills is a rip off for a semi-permanent place to stay.

Thank You guys,

now I understand more about the situation, but still would prefer to move to another place for the last 3 month.....

Same here.

Hi at all....

Since I cannot answer to personal messages... her we go...

well, I found out that there are pretty foreseeable times with more or less bandwith, must have to do with the occupation/schedules of my neighbours.

So we switched times for Skype for later on the evening and got a pretty good connection....

So far so good, it is not acompletely satisfying situation, but i come along, also thanks of "registerbrowsing" with the new IE.

Downloads take their time, so patience and the downloadmanager are the way to go....

Regards

Stefan