Crashed rented bike prob

Xaos

Excuse me if I am being cynical,  I am sorry, but why can someone who is old enough and supposedly responsible enough to come to Thailand and rent a motorcycle, not sort out their own problems, rather than having a 'friend' post for them?

I don't mean to be antagonistic, but so often one reads about 'a friend's problems' - does anyone else agree, or is it just because I am a "grumpy old Git'?

Yes, you are. But you're still right. lol

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Don't take these renters for mugs when it comes to your friend running away. They will find your friend, in fact they probably already know where he is but won't want to be seen to visiting him. Do you think they are amateurs when it comes to foreigners renting there bikes?
Take or leave my advice when I tell you that if he continues to blank them or fails to pay within there tolerance levels then it will not end well for him.

Bla bla bla, what a bunch of BS, his friend is doing the right thing.  Like any Thais they try to fill their pockets with farang money.  I hope that is friend has enough balls to stick up to his guns.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Basil Fawlty said:

Excuse me if I am being cynical,  I am sorry, but why can someone who is old enough and supposedly responsible enough to come to Thailand and rent a motorcycle, not sort out their own problems, rather than having a 'friend' post for them?

I don't mean to be antagonistic, but so often one reads about 'a friend's problems' - does anyone else agree, or is it just because I am a "grumpy old Git'?

Because you are a grumpy old Git.  You asked for it.

• Like 2

Well lots of ppl here with more experience I finds it worth to ask.

Rent guy didnt call yet its 1pm. We dont bother call him.
Guess he is getting his fake quote done

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You don't get to decide where or if the bike will be repaired, that is up to the owner. If you don't meetup he can file criminal charges as you didn't return the bike yourself and don't show up to negotiate about the costs.

Wow, I would be quivering in my boots if someone told me that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Basil Fawlty said:

Sometimes you gotta read between the lines and just work with what you have. 

If you're living in a place it's obviously worth doing your due diligence on where you rent a bike from. The place I rent from pay for all damage except for flat tyres, they used to also fix flat tyres but they happen so often they had to stop.

I've never crashed mine but a friend who rents from the same crashed his, totally wrecking it, and the company just picked it up, gave him a new bike and that was it, no charge. 

• Like 1

You don't get to decide where or if the bike will be repaired, that is up to the owner. If you don't meetup he can file criminal charges as you didn't return the bike yourself and don't show up to negotiate about the costs.

Still can get a quotation.
He can fill charges but that not means they will follow them up. And then again in worse scenario he will go court pay fair fixing price without being scamed.

• Like 1

Bring back the Bike to the Owner. Check the Renting Contract. Stupid Idea to go to any Repairshop before this done. The Law is not on your Side in this Case. I understand the Owner is angry.

Do you understand that owner is in to scams as well?

Last year my other mate rented z800 from him for 2 weeks, he had no accident nothing. When he went give it back this guy was showing.him some old scratches and chip stones and was screaming for few 1000s. Friend said ok u shut up i rent it for big longer only then he shut up. But he had try already for no reason.
B. Rd guys. And hey we are in Pattaya anything goes here.

7 hours ago, Cyclone88 said:

FACT.  Insurance companies won't offer comprehensive insurance on a rental bike. 

FACT....FACT.....I had comprehensive insurance on a rental bike. The deductable was 2,000 baht....FACT

I always use a reputable bike renter. The bike/scooter in question last year was a Honda Forza and I paid for fully comp and received a certificate which was validated. MInd you, I am an IAMs member and had both my UK driving license, IAMs card and International driving license as well as a copy of my UK insurance for good measure.

I use a major company, not a back street scammer. If you rent from a back street scammer, expect to pay the piper.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Flustered said:

FACT....FACT.....I had comprehensive insurance on a rental bike. The deductable was 2,000 baht....FACT

I always use a reputable bike renter. The bike/scooter in question last year was a Honda Forza and I paid for fully comp and received a certificate which was validated. MInd you, I am an IAMs member and had both my UK driving license, IAMs card and International driving license as well as a copy of my UK insurance for good measure.

I use a major company, not a back street scammer. If you rent from a back street scammer, expect to pay the piper.

There was one company renting big bikes in Chiang Mai, who wanted the full cost of the motorbike or your passport left as a deposit. I presumed because no insurance available.

Also i have been told getting full insurance on an older vehicle is not doable. But i don't have first hand knowledge of this.

My full insurance on my motorbike covers approximately half the value of the bike. So sometimes actually paying for insurance seems a waste of time. 

Op started out; my friend blah blah and a few scratches to a few panels... Well if its the bike shown thats a tad more than a 'few' scratches lol, who is being scammed here? is sounding like 'your friend' is looking at doing a Runner.

He's Trashed the bike, he needs to pay up and maybe learn to ride a bike competently, has he got a bike licence? Don't know what else you are looking for from TVF members, advice is get a rough quote yourself - ok, then see what the owner is asking at some point meet in middle if possible and settle the cost of damage.

If is 5k Baht at Miyon or whatever I would snatch their hand off, I have repaired lotrs of bikes over the years and the damge to that is over 5K Baht in total easy and at Thai rates too. The frame looks goosed.

Good luck with it anyway

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Xaos said:

Still can get a quotation.
He can fill charges but that not means they will follow them up. And then again in worse scenario he will go court pay fair fixing price without being scamed.

And he would pay for the days the bike couldn't be rented out because he would show up at the rental agency, he would pay for a lawyer and probably for the costs of the other party too.

What I find amusing is that his "friend" crashed the bike, not was hit by someone but crashed the bike. Now his "friend" wants to duck his responsibility, and we wonder why ex pats get such a bad rap.

We should not be surprised, you see these idiots all over the place, very little experience in riding any form of scooter or bike ad then they wonder why they crash. The Thais are mad enough but some ex pats make them look like amateurs.

If I were your "friend", I would pay up and take it as experience. They will find your "friend" and do not for one minute think the law will be on your side.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Flustered said:

What I find amusing is that his "friend" crashed the bike, not was hit by someone but crashed the bike. Now his "friend" wants to duck his responsibility, and we wonder why ex pats get such a bad rap.

We should not be surprised, you see these idiots all over the place, very little experience in riding any form of scooter or bike ad then they wonder why they crash. The Thais are mad enough but some ex pats make them look like amateurs.

If I were your "friend", I would pay up and take it as experience. They will find your "friend" and do not for one minute think the law will be on your side.

To those who want to rent......

To those who say there is no insurance.......

It CAN be done!

(PS Photo almost 3 years old)

IMG_0807.JPG

Edited by laislica
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, laislica said:

To those who want to rent......

To those who say there is no insurance.......

It CAN be done!

IMG_0807.JPG

Note the wording, cover everybody. Lots of rental places have personal accident insurance that does not cover damage to the bike. Or they have the standard 3rd party person insurance included in the registration tax.

• Like 1

For those of u who says he is trying to avoid it did u really read it ?

He put bike to best bike shop in pattaya and was going to pay the bill whatever it was 5 10 20 no matter. Problem started when mad rent guy called him swearing and took bike out of Mityon without even getting quote. He was saying me fix me fix my friend fix.

My friend got uk bikes licence IDL and owns r1.

Well this guy did not call back at all today. Didn’t expect that one coming. May b call later dunno.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chickenrunCM said:

it´s funny because there is no insurance for own damage or theft, forget it, 

Read previous posts. I have already responded to this.

There is insurance if you want it and are prepared to pay for it.

Unfortunately, most renters want a toy bike for a day and are only prepared to pay 100 baht for it. The thought of paying 250baht+ a day for insurance is beyond their capability.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Note the wording, cover everybody. Lots of rental places have personal accident insurance that does not cover damage to the bike. Or they have the standard 3rd party person insurance included in the registration tax.

bullshit, we renting out bikes, there is no insurance, and even on your pic is nothing written about insurance, only is written, that the rental shop pays. they will charge you extra money and if you have an accident they will find a reason why you anyway have to pay.

Tell me 1 insurance company who offer insurance for rental bikes?