My Funeral

Old Guy

Does anybody know if the OP, being married to a Thai and having Permanent Resident status would qualify for the burial insurance policies issued by the Government Savings Bank?

My GF's mother and an uncle both died within the last few years and both had GSB burial policies that provided more than B100,000 each which did indeed cover all the funeral and creamation expenses. 

My GF who is in her 40's pays quarterly for a similar policy at GSB.

I have signed up to a village type insurance. Basically the head man and a couple of village elders. Hold a book with people who have signed up presently 300 people. How it works is simple when someone dies and there on the books, everyone else commits to pay 500bht to the head man or elders and the full proceeds go to the widow or widower or the eldest member of his or her children if no spouse. I found this out by pure accident today was round a MIL when head man came round with 149500bht for her (she is in scheme but doesnt pay for spouse dying)  Talked to him put my name forward and was told at 1900 I had been accepted.

Edited by Deepinthailand

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Another option for you 'Old Guy' (A term that also applies to me) is to donate your body for medical research. This will alleviate your widow of any disposal worries.

Here's one potentially useful web page. http://english.redcross.or.th/node/51 or ask at you local hospitals.

That is a great suggestion. I have considered it myself (not for reasons of saving money - but I would like to think that my remains can be put to a good use). However, my wife was horrified when I tried to talk to her about it. I expect that many Thais will have the same reaction.

14 hours ago, dddave said:

Does anybody know if the OP, being married to a Thai and having Permanent Resident status would qualify for the burial insurance policies issued by the Government Savings Bank?

My GF's mother and an uncle both died within the last few years and both had GSB burial policies that provided more than B100,000 each which did indeed cover all the funeral and creamation expenses. 

My GF who is in her 40's pays quarterly for a similar policy at GSB.

I am in a similar scheme with FWD Thailand. The policy provides cover for hospital fees and a lump sum on death. I took it out for the very reasons mentioned above by dddave. See their website at https://www.fwd.co.th/en/ As I recall one has to be under 70 years to join. I just managed squeeze through the door!

11 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I am in a similar scheme with FWD Thailand. The policy provides cover for hospital fees and a lump sum on death. I took it out for the very reasons mentioned above by dddave. See their website at https://www.fwd.co.th/en/ As I recall one has to be under 70 years to join. I just managed squeeze through the door!

Looked into this seems very expensive for the return.

On 9/2/2560 at 9:20 PM, Moonlover said:

Another option for you 'Old Guy' (A term that also applies to me) is to donate your body for medical research. This will alleviate your widow of any disposal worries.

Here's one potentially useful web page. http://english.redcross.or.th/node/51 or ask at you local hospitals.

It doesn't seem to work.

A friend tried that but medical science  didn't want him; his wife spent 200,000 Baht on the ensuing funeral.

I have signed up to a village type insurance. Basically the head man and a couple of village elders. Hold a book with people who have signed up presently 300 people. How it works is simple when someone dies and there on the books, everyone else commits to pay 500bht to the head man or elders and the full proceeds go to the widow or widower or the eldest member of his or her children if no spouse. I found this out by pure accident today was round a MIL when head man came round with 149500bht for her (she is in scheme but doesnt pay for spouse dying)  Talked to him put my name forward and was told at 1900 I had been accepted.

Probably a good alternative to all the life insurance companies if you are older already. Obviously if you are younger, this is a bad option as the odds are very high that you will pay more than receive.

I know Thais love all kind of insurance policies but once you look into them you will find most of them provide poor returns. Personally I prefer to invest my money differently where I get better returns.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

11 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Looked into this seems very expensive for the return.

It looked a bit expensive to me until I received a 42,200 THB credit against a hospital bill following a fall last year. Then I received a 1,000 THB annual rebate just for being a good payer. It all depends on which way you're looking down the telescope.

Like the OP, I do not have large cash reserves to pass on to my wife on my demise. This is one way that I can redress that situation.

Edited by Moonlover
Grammar correction

11 hours ago, Jip99 said:

It doesn't seem to work.

A friend tried that but medical science  didn't want him; his wife spent 200,000 Baht on the ensuing funeral.

Well Jip, if you read the Red Cross web site that I referred to, you will see that there are circumstances which would prevent the acceptance of a donation. Maybe your friend fell into one of those categories. It's not a perfect solution, merely an option.

Edited by Moonlover
Grammar correction

53 minutes ago, uptheos said:

Which can be extremely important for her, if she has a strong belief system.

It is suggested in the Red Cross web site, that donating ones remains to medical research would also 'buy much merit'.

There's two sides to every argument. Personally, I think they're are both B/S, that's another matter altogether.

On 2/9/2017 at 3:15 PM, YeahSiam said:

You most definitely are not the only pensioner living hand-to-mouth in Thailand but, unlike others in a similar situation, you sound like you're carrying it with dignity, mate.

Good luck to you

Yes indeed-carrying it with dignity.

As your post seems to do as well.Well done.

My best wishes to "Old Guy" and his wife.

Edited by Odysseus123
spelling.

Mr Old Guy, hopefully YOUNG AT HEART, 

I was born with nothing, and came to this world hoping for luck, and with some help from myself I have been very lucky

I read this topic because I also worry about dying

I am appalled by some of the uncaring nasty posts here

Remember most funerals are done at local temple, and the party afterwards is probably paid for by the contributions from the attendees, I am sure a funeral need not be an expensive item

I have requested my wife not to waste money when I go, and when the vultures arrive as they will asking for too much money just say unfortunately he did not leave me well provided for ( not actually true but gets rid of them )

If you ever want to talk please PM me and I will willingly give you my number

Remember you are already lucky by having a caring Thai wife

Mr. Cyber Farang

Why do you say the house has not been legally purchased ?  It has.  I brought cash over from the U. K. and gave it to my (Thai) wife and she immediately paid for the house.  In fact she even got a small loan based on the surety last year.  So she would not be homeless.  She would also get a pension from my former Company, albeit small.   And, yes, I have written out full instructions.

I need not declare my income to the Thai authorities because  I splashed out on Permanent Residence a few years back.

Biggest problem is, as you say, severe illness.  I have no insurance, but who else over 80 does have ?  Just hope my death is quick, that's all !

And very many thanks to all of you for all the other inputs.   I think the donation of the body idea is well worth following up.